Reply to this topicStart new topic
Interstellar Interlopers, Coming in from the great beyond
JRehling
post Apr 28 2020, 01:42 PM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 321

QUOTE (tanjent @ Apr 26 2020, 08:12 PM) *
I can't find the reference via Google so I am short on details, but I recall several years ago there was a proposal for a retrograde head-on flyby of multiple asteroids in the main belt. It could not have gotten very far, but maybe a trajectory of that sort could be adapted to closely inspect this object at aphelion. I guess the power requirements would be in Juno's class though, so it would not be cheap.

As far as I know, this proposal was mine and hasn't had any life beyond that (which is to say, just some energetic posting on a fanboy basis).

The MANTIS Discovery mission proposal would have flown by nine asteroids via a prograde solar orbit. A retrograde orbit might require a Jupiter gravity assist and more.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Apr 29 2020, 06:45 PM
Post #182

Group: Members
Member No.: 530

QUOTE (nprev @ Apr 26 2020, 01:47 AM) *
I was surprised to see this considering it's now a couple of years old. Looks like a small object in a retrograde 1:1 orbital resonance with Jupiter may be of extrasolar origin, and the same may be true of some Centaurs.

Phil Plait covers this in passing and some of the ensuing topics here:
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/has-the-sun-c...her-star-wellll

The trigger is the same sort of work for the high-eccentricity Centaurs.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2020 - 09:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.