Reply to this topicStart new topic
Inaccuracy in reporting astronomy and science
elakdawalla
post Nov 19 2014, 02:21 AM
Post #526

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

People at ESOC were very very pleased by the silence of those people during the landing smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tdemko
post Nov 30 2014, 03:25 PM
Post #527

Group: Members
Member No.: 9

Check out the caption, too. My son's comment was "amazing the pictures they can take now from space, eh dad?"

Attached Image

--------------------
Tim Demko
BioLink site

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Dec 1 2014, 08:01 PM
Post #528

Member No.: 6336

Hmm finding PT1 - 3 is described as saving New Horizons "in the nick of time" from "missing out of ½ the mission".
The possible KBO encounter is a tag on, though a good and interesting one, but not even approved as of yet so how can that be seen as 'part of the mission' right now.
..and what the heck is a "principle investigator". laugh.gif

Sky and telescope

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Dec 31 2014, 08:22 AM
Post #529

Member No.: 6336

Zero gravity day(Jan4) is debunked in most media.
But the part about Pluto passing behind Jupiter (conjunction) is still included in some stories, and some appear to take some kind of compromise approach on the matter - stating that we might not float around but should fall down more slowly if we jump up at the correct time.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Apr 24 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #530

Member No.: 5221

Sigh, it never ends, does it?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/na...looking-5577958

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Apr 24 2015, 08:05 PM
Post #531

Member No.: 4489

--- WOW!!!!! ---
--- STOP THE PRESSES !!! ---
Andre Gignac found jpeg compression artifacts

+Quote Post
hendric
post May 13 2015, 06:27 PM
Post #532

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ethansiegel/20...eatest-mystery/

An otherwise ok article (is water ice stable at Ceres for billions of years?) is marred by this glaring error:

"But is that really sufficient to explain these “white spots” at the bottom of what appears to be perhaps the largest crater on Ceres?"

:headdesk:

It's not even the largest crater IN THAT PICTURE. laugh.gif

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 6 2015, 11:24 PM
Post #533

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Huge lava lake spotted on moon orbiting Jupiter

Discovered by the space probe Voyager 1 of the NASA in 1979, the moon Io is roughly the size of the moon orbiting the Earth and, according to PRAS, it has "the greatest volcanic activity" in the solar system.

Only off by 370 years.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Jun 7 2015, 04:05 AM
Post #534

Member No.: 745

I think these guys should have stuck with business reporting.

There is another interesting contradiction in this story. It starts with the statement that a "US radio telescope ... captured images of an enormous lava lake" which is questionable in its own right. It then goes on to talk about the Large Binocular Telescope observations.

I always wonder how these stories get so warped. This identical story is posted on at least three web outlets, but I can find no original story from the Puerto Rica Astronomical Society. I suspect they may be conflating a couple of different stories.

The actual story from the LBT press release is actually quite interesting. (And yes, they get the story of the discovery of Io correct.)

LBT Press Release

There is a way cool video of a transit of Io by Europa as seen by the LBT that is worth seeing. And there is a link to the Astronomical Journal article.

Maybe this information should be put up on the Jupiter forum.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jun 9 2015, 04:30 PM
Post #535

Member No.: 1004

from the New Horizons Facebook page, this is how NOT to report science. you just can't compare speeds in different reference systems!
for ex a person walking on Earth is still traveling at over 100,000 km/h relative to the Sun...
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 9 2015, 04:35 PM
Post #536

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Those speeds are all relative to their local frame of reference and absolutely ARE suitable for comparison - nothing wrong with it at all.

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Jun 9 2015, 09:00 PM
Post #537

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

I'm not sure what 'local frame of reference' means. The NH speed is in an inertial (solar system barycenter) frame with its origin instantaneously co-moving with Earth-moon-barycenter, Pluto-Charon-barycenter, or the solar system--but the origin locality is immaterial. The space shuttle is the same (with Earth) but is within ~10% of an Earth-surface-fixed value. All the others are in Earth-surface-fixed frames. So consistency demands Earth-surface-fixed, non-inertial frames.

I get 1.2 billion km/hr for NH. Light can eat its dust.

Of course, that's the same sort of math that makes one invent imaginary forces to explain which way bathtubs drain or something. The graphic misses chance to educate the public about inertial vs. non-inertial reference frames, translations and rotations and vector math, and basically misses out on the fun of a steep learning curve, all just to clearly communicate one relevant and potentially interesting thing[*].

OK, maybe that's not so bad.

(* And true too: it is fast in any relevant frame--compared to understandable scales--except for the most 'local' frame, one co-moving with the spacecraft. But in that frame, that pedestrian sure is zooming.)

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Jun 9 2015, 09:15 PM
Post #538

Member No.: 5458

If I drive a car 60mph, I'm moving 60mph in relation to the road/land/Earth beneath me which is the local frame of reference. New Horizons is moving ~34,000km/h away from the Sun, the Sun being the frame of reference once again.

Alternately, if you're floating in ultra deep, intergalactic space, you could be completely still or, moving near light speed and the only way to know is to have a frame of reference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jun 9 2015, 10:42 PM
Post #539

Member No.: 1102

ENOUGH and now back to bad reporting in astronomy and science

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Jun 12 2015, 01:24 AM
Post #540

Member No.: 4489

'local frame of reference' .

this is something that reporters CAN get confused on
explaining the naif SPICE references without a chalkboard .......

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 34 35 36 37 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:59 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.