Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rev 49 - Aug 9-Sep 14, 2007 - Iapetus I1, The only close flyby of Iapetus
Holder of the Tw...
post Sep 12 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #241

Group: Members
Member No.: 557

What an extreme day.

I start out elated when I see that the first NAC images of the ridge were right on target.

Then I go home three hours ago with the latest news that the global coverage is toast, and I'm feeling kinda miserable about that.

I come back here and just a few minutes ago find out that things aren't all that bad. Still a little sad about the VIMS global (and rooting for another pass the EEM), but I least I won't have to compose a heartfelt condolence to Mr. Albers.

Then I see the latest images.

And... I... am... just...

STUNNED!!! blink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Sep 12 2007, 02:37 AM
Post #242

Member No.: 627

Duh!!!!!

The white stuff IS virgin snow if it is the result of the dark stuff causing water/co2 ice to sublimate and migrate to colder surfaces.

Really going to bed now.

Craig

+Quote Post
tasp
post Sep 12 2007, 02:45 AM
Post #243

Member No.: 162

My take on the black stuff:

Surfaces that achieve a minimum angle to the sun's rays turn dark.

Iapetus is a thermographic printer.

(And the minimum angle is related mathematically to latitude and longitude. Angle smoothly increases east and west from a point centered halfway between sub-Saturn and anti-Saturn points on the leading hemisphere. Moving north and south of the equator, the angle again smoothly increases. Light and dark regions can change at the same scale the surface angle changes right down to the resolution of the Cassini camera.)

Find out the sun angle on these pictures and sight across the dips and dales and hills and vales.

It's all geometry and sunlight.

+Quote Post
GregM
post Sep 12 2007, 03:00 AM
Post #244

Member No.: 175

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Sep 12 2007, 03:12 AM
Post #245

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

I broke my swear jar and ate both the contents and the glass fragments alike with a garnish of happy obscenities in as many languages as I could babel fish for. I've been in the process of moving back to Seattle after a short absence, so I've missed much of the excitement until this morning...I can't even think of an unoffensive acronym to encapsulate just how hard my jaw hit the floor with the sample of images released thus far. Special thanks to Ugordan for the view of Saturn from here (18x now...you should start up a wallpaper surcharge here). See you all here soon. BTW...my money's on the white painted over black now.

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
David
post Sep 12 2007, 03:31 AM
Post #246

Member No.: 56

On the white/black question: could it be that neither of these substances is the underlying surface -- i.e., that there is both a "snow" coating (similar to other bright icy moons) and an "ash" coating, and that, depending on surface conditions -- topography and external heating -- you can get snow over ash, or ash over snow?

In that #13 image, however, while I can imagine conditions that would give us those patterns as snow-on-ash, I can't come up with anything that makes sense for ash-on-snow. But I think we've seen other, earlier images where ash-on-snow made more sense.

+Quote Post
tasp
post Sep 12 2007, 03:33 AM
Post #247

Just for fun (and maybe a bit more), here's a photo negative of the amazing splotch/snowdrift picture:
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
tasp
post Sep 12 2007, 03:37 AM
Post #248

OK, now think about that picture. The most intense sunlight (averaged over 40 days) is striking the white parts now. Lesser levels of illumination strike all the rest of the terrain.

Everything that is white has parallel sight lines.

There is no white in the shadow of white anywhere.

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Sep 12 2007, 03:40 AM
Post #249

Member No.: 426

More images have just come down the pipe. Quite a few more, actually.

These include some amazing shots of what look to be two of the white Voyager Mountains.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 12 2007, 03:41 AM
Post #250

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Highest resolution image: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...3/N00091974.jpg
Ray Crater: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...3/N00091978.jpg
Lots of little craters: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...3/N00091970.jpg

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
tasp
post Sep 12 2007, 03:44 AM
Post #251

It 'works' on the other picture too:
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 12 2007, 03:47 AM
Post #252

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Just had a thought...IF (and only if) white-on-black is correct, and IF (and only if), the white stuff is exogenic and presumably from a source in Saturn's vicinity, and IF (and only if), Iapetus is a captured object, THEN how many more pitch-black, virtually invisible Iapetii may be lurking undetected in the outer Solar System, unbound to major planets... huh.gif

Three "IFs" usually is a death knoll for any theory...just thought I'd scare you all! tongue.gif (Congrats on the Seattle return, EC! smile.gif )

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
David
post Sep 12 2007, 03:53 AM
Post #253

Member No.: 56

The curved edges and bays in the "snow" region in #14 (http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=3764) remind me of the shapes of retreating glaciers. The inverse pattern, the shape of the "ash" region, doesn't make much sense on its own.

tasp, I'm not sure I'm following your argument. Do you think you could rephrase it for a dullard?

+Quote Post
Rob Pinnegar
post Sep 12 2007, 03:53 AM
Post #254

Member No.: 426

Uhhh... whaddaya call *this*???

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...iImageID=126253

[Edit: I just tried clicking on this link and it didn't work... the image I'm looking at is N00091956.]

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 12 2007, 04:02 AM
Post #255

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Rob, can you post it for us image illiterati? sad.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

51 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:44 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.