4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Discovery 2012
rlorenz
post Jul 12 2012, 02:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1764

Article (and an opportunity to vote) on the Discovery program and the missions under consideration for summer 2012 selection

http://www.nature.com/news/nasa-set-to-cho...mission-1.10982
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
schmurz
post Jul 13 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3922

What is the exact date of the announcement of the winner?

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Jul 15 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (schmurz @ Jul 13 2012, 12:51 AM) *
What is the exact date of the announcement of the winner?

NASA doesn't give exact dates for the announcement, but rather time frames. The latest I heard is that the announcement will come in July.

Generally, the three finalists all would produce excellent science, and a lot of weight is given to technical and budget risk in the final selection. Since the public can't evaluate those aspects, I've given up trying to handicap which mission is finally selected. TiME, if it has similar risk as the others, may have an edge because it must be selected this round to reach Titan when the northern lakes are in view of Earth to allow communication after splash down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Jul 16 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Jul 11 2012, 06:19 PM) *
Article (and an opportunity to vote) on the Discovery program and the missions under consideration for summer 2012 selection

http://www.nature.com/news/nasa-set-to-cho...mission-1.10982

I voted for TiME... This mission just sounds and looks way too awesome. And this artwork sold it to me too: http://palebluespeck.wordpress.com/2011/06...forbidden-seas/

--------------------

+Quote Post
monty python
post Jul 16 2012, 06:21 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 692

I also voted for TIME. What sold me was the fear that unless some mission to the outer planets is green lighted soon, I may not live long enough to see one come to fruition. Also a nice taste of what billions of years of low temp chemical reactions have brewed on titan would be very complimentary to cassini huygens.

+Quote Post
climber
post Jul 16 2012, 06:51 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 682

Same here! If selected, we're right now less than 10 years from landing/splashing (June 2022), which is not too bad.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Jul 16 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (climber @ Jul 16 2012, 02:51 AM) *
we're right now less than 10 years from landing/splashing (June 2022), which is not too bad.

Actually no. Splashdown is July 2023.
When the TiME Mission was originally conceived in 2007 in response to a NASA study call, a 2015 launch was assumed, with 2022 arrival (which is reflected in some old meeting abstracts, and presentations, I think). In respose to the 'real' 2010 Discovery call, launch is in 2016 with arrival 2023.

Back when I started work on Huygens in 1990, launch in 1997 seemed far off, to say nothing of 2004 arrival. You'd be surprised how quickly the time goes....

+Quote Post
climber
post Jul 16 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 682

Thanks for correction Ralf!
You're rigth, we'll be there faster than we think. On the other hand, Curiosity landing in 3 weeks from now seams faaaar away. This is may be because I check remaining hours 10 times per day rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
schmurz
post Jul 16 2012, 07:44 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3922

QUOTE (vjkane @ Jul 15 2012, 05:34 PM) *
NASA doesn't give exact dates for the announcement, but rather time frames. The latest I heard is that the announcement will come in July.

Generally, the three finalists all would produce excellent science, and a lot of weight is given to technical and budget risk in the final selection. Since the public can't evaluate those aspects, I've given up trying to handicap which mission is finally selected. TiME, if it has similar risk as the others, may have an edge because it must be selected this round to reach Titan when the northern lakes are in view of Earth to allow communication after splash down.

Thanks for the clarification!

But I assume the winner will be InSight because of its proven Phoenix platform, solar arrays power source etc. Unfortunate tendency to cut planetary science budget will lead NASA to save money.

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Jul 16 2012, 11:30 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Jul 16 2012, 07:01 AM) *
Actually no. Splashdown is July 2023.
When the TiME Mission was originally conceived in 2007 in response to a NASA study call, a 2015 launch was assumed, with 2022 arrival (which is reflected in some old meeting abstracts, and presentations, I think). In respose to the 'real' 2010 Discovery call, launch is in 2016 with arrival 2023.

Back when I started work on Huygens in 1990, launch in 1997 seemed far off, to say nothing of 2004 arrival. You'd be surprised how quickly the time goes....

Heh, I remember when I first heard about the Cassini-Huygens mission back in 1992. I didn't think my interest in space exploration would last up to 1997. And now I'm a bigger space geek than ever... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Jul 17 2012, 10:36 AM
Post #11

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

Oh I remember the Cassini launch and then thinking "ok in 7 years time it's going to arrive, what do I do in the meantime"
....lol. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Jul 26 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1083

I assume NASA will have a press confernce to announce the result? Since they haven't announced one yet, I assume the selection notification is still at least several days off?

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Jul 27 2012, 12:11 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (Drkskywxlt @ Jul 26 2012, 10:35 AM) *
I assume NASA will have a press confernce to announce the result? Since they haven't announced one yet, I assume the selection notification is still at least several days off?

It seems that way, alas. The Discovery program website http://discovery.larc.nasa.gov/discovery/index.html now says
'July 24, 2012 ... The new target date for the Downselection announcement is August 2012'

My experience with Cassini findings being sometimes deferred during e.g. manned program events is that NASA typically doesn't like to have multiple news stories come out close together which might dilute their individual impact, so I would guess they will not make an announcement in the middle of the MSL/Curiosity landing hoopla.

This is just my guess : I do not speak for NASA.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 27 2012, 01:18 AM
Post #14

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Bummer, Ralph. I agree with your reasoning, though: ain't nothin' but a delay. Chins up all around.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Jul 27 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 351

While I have my favorite, any of the missions would be a great selection. My tingling fear as we wait is that as in 2004, NASA will decide that none of the finalists were acceptable (presumably because of concerns about technical or budget risk that outside observers like myself never get to hear about). At least I can stop checking my new reader three times a day for a bit.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.