Opportunity Route Map
climber
post May 24 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #1426

Group: Members
Member No.: 682

[quote name='Joffan' date='May 24 2006, 10:10 PM' post='55615']
Small celebration for 100th post. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Welcome to the club! You're just in time to celebrate the 1500 sols over garanty cumulated by both rovers. smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 25 2006, 06:52 PM
Post #1427

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I'm writing up several weeks' worth of "Q and A" segments for Planetary Radio and someone asked me "Has Opportunity driven out of the landing ellipse yet?" I see here that that happened around the middle of March, but that's a bit of a short answer for the radio show -- any suggestions about what other fun facts I could put in my answer? What was the straight-line distance from Eagle to the ellipse exit point? What was the wheel odometry at that point? How far has she driven since then? Maybe I can follow that up with some facts about what awaits at Victoria...hmmm...

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
kenny
post May 25 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #1428

Member No.: 759

An important part of that story is precisely where Oppy plopped down in the landing elipse. What were the dimensions of the elipse and how far from the centre, and in what direction (Southeast as I recall). In other words how far off the centreline did Oppy land, and then how far south did it have to drive to exit the elipse. Comparions with where Spirit set down within its own elipse would add something too.

And I meant to add that, sorry, I don't know the numbers. The JPL web site shows the elipses here, without the actual landing location

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre.../20040124a.html

+Quote Post
atomoid
post May 25 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #1429

Member No.: 196

Here are some FunFacts i'd like to know (sorry i dont have answer but i think some of this info already lurks in these threads):
- altitude gain/loss between Eagle and Victoria
- depth of excursion into Endurance crater
- relate these measurements for earthly familarity, ie., soccer field lengths or how long it would take to walk at a human pace (or whatever sounds fun: snail's pace, swim, speed of sound or dust devil on mars,...).
- how small the MER ellipses are in comparison to Pathfinder, viking,...
...and lots lots more!

+Quote Post
aldo12xu
post May 25 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #1430

Member No.: 85

I too would be curious as to how the elevation changes from Endurance to Erebus to Victoria. That is, how many metres will we have moved up-section from Endurance to Erebus to Victoria? And when the rover drove inside Endurance it examined a 7 meter vertical section. How much of a section are they hoping to see at Victoria?

.....By the way, Emily, loved your article on the Titan radar results. Very intriguing geology, to say the least.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post May 25 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #1431

Member No.: 105

I too would be curious as to how the elevation changes from Endurance to Erebus to Victoria. That is, how many metres will we have moved up-section from Endurance to Erebus to Victoria?

I'd like to know, too, but I suspect that the truth is that we don't know. We don't know what the geometry of the beds are (short of "essentailly flat-lying") and without soem sort of stratigraphic marker we can't figure out whee we are in the section. Hopefully we'll find something that we saw at Endurance to something that we will see at Corner or Victoria...

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shaka
post May 26 2006, 01:19 AM
Post #1432

Member No.: 618

And I, Emily, would be fascinated to learn how much verbiage and bandwidth UMSFers have expended in fervid, global cyber-debate on:
1. Where the landing ellipse should go?
2. Whether the line should be thin, fat or fuzzy?
3. When we will arrive at Victoria?
4. How we will know when we get there?
5. Which side of it we can see?
6. Which side of it the Beacon is on?
7. Whether the above questions have been answered in a fair and democratic manner?
Someday all this will be answered in depth in a Tom Wolfe novel, which will be praised as his "funniest since The Right Stuff." But you can use it for now. cool.gif

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post May 26 2006, 06:10 AM
Post #1433

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

28 more meters tosol, according to the tracking data.

How wrong is that this time Tesh? smile.gif

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post May 26 2006, 09:02 AM
Post #1434

Member No.: 253

Updated route map.

Attached Image

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ May 26 2006, 08:10 AM) *
How wrong is that this time Tesh? smile.gif

I wouldn't call it "wrong" but simply "different". The map may have errors and the different methods to estimate a rover's position too; all those things add to the probability of finding different results.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post May 27 2006, 01:21 AM
Post #1435

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ May 26 2006, 07:02 PM) *
I wouldn't call it "wrong" but simply "different". The map may have errors and the different methods to estimate a rover's position too; all those things add to the probability of finding different results.

How diplomatic! laugh.gif

--------------------
Twitter

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post May 27 2006, 05:03 AM
Post #1436

QUOTE (Castor asked)
Can you tell me if it's possible to work out the drive distance from the site drive number? Previously we were at 71A3 and we are now at 71DP. Do the numbers change in a systematic way that is consistent with drive distance?

Interesting question.

Here is a plot of change in drive number vs drive distance for all the changes in position listed in the tracking database since sol 781 (start of site 68):

Attached Image

I was quite surprised to see there is quite a strong correlation for a lot of the points, i'm guessing that indicates the 'drive so far then check for slippage' parameter. Also note the high black points from recent drives. It looks like they may be driving slightly more aggressively now the ripples arn't so big.

Also note all those points with large drive number changes but very small (even zero) drive distances - don't understand that.

Zooming in on that graph:

Attached Image

Shows the small changes in drive number which correspond to auto-nav drives. Very little correlation.

Note there are even some points with no drive number change but some movement, as well as points with no movement but a number change - now I'm confused! blink.gif

Moving quickly on. Here is the same plot but with the total distance and drive number change for each sol:

Attached Image

Which is much more sane - giving this (very rough) rule of thumb: For a drive increment of 36 (which is for example xxDx to xxEx etc.) the rover will have moved approximately 6 meters. Of course a change in driving stratagy/aggressiveness could change all this overnight.

Here ends this pointless exersice, make driving distance estimates from drive numbers at you peril. laugh.gif

James

--------------------
Twitter

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 27 2006, 06:57 AM
Post #1437

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Thought I'd share this which I wizzed over to Emily last night...

"
Right ….

I started with this…

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2004/01/24/

That ellipse is about 87km long, 11km wide – I’m not sure which ellipse that is ( final targeted ellipse after final TCM, or the launch ellipse…it might be worth pinging someone at MER HQ to see if they know exactly where that one came from – but it’s the one we used on the forum )

Going from an estimated centre of that ellipse - the actual landing is, by my maths, 23km downtrack, and 0.4km right of the centre line – with the MER entry trajectory coming from the left.

Using this…

http://www.planetary.org/image/oppo-stooke-map.jpg

(I can’t WAIT for HiRISE imagery)

And this

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...pe=post&id=4907

I would estimate that the southern edge of the landing ellipse was between 4200 and 4400 metres south of the landing site, and crossed at some point between 760 and 773

Sol 760 Odom was 6682m, sol 773 Odom was 7249m….I wouldn’t want to try and drag in either of those sol numbers or distances driven – we did our best overlaying that MSSS image ( the larger 10m res one is available at the bottom of the page linked up the top of this email ) onto the route maps that people have done – but we’re not really sure – so that’s the sort of ‘max range’ based on what we have. There might be an MER person who knows more accurately."

[/size]

When you think about it - they got a bit of a downrange distance on both of them due to the atmospheric conditions, but they were both VERY close to centre line which is the real gauge of their accuracy in targetting...400m or so for Opportunity is utterly astonishing.

[size="2"]Doug

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post May 28 2006, 06:04 AM
Post #1438

Member No.: 116

The Oppster has been really cleaning out the attic in recent updates. In the past, this has signified the commencement of a major advancement campaign. Can we expect a serious attempt to add mileage to the odometer?

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
helvick
post May 28 2006, 08:59 AM
Post #1439

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (djellison @ May 27 2006, 07:57 AM) *

When you think about it - they got a bit of a downrange distance on both of them due to the atmospheric conditions, but they were both VERY close to centre line which is the real gauge of their accuracy in targetting...400m or so for Opportunity is utterly astonishing.

So you could argue that since it was a 456 million km journey they hit the target to a precision of around 1 part in a billion.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 28 2006, 09:45 AM
Post #1440

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I do a chart in my talks that shows the still of Dan's animation at bridle cut.....400,000,000,000 metres above the airbags, 6.3m below smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post

240 Pages V  « < 94 95 96 97 98 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:28 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.