IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Titan Porous Grain Simulation, Are hydrocarbon oceans hiding in the surface of Titan?
Juramike
post Feb 28 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Recent articles have invoked porous ice sands or other crustal grains as an additional potential reservoir for methane on Titan. (Selected examples: Sotin et al., 2009; Mitchell et al., 2009; Turtle et al, 2009,; Hayes et al 2008)

Last week, I set up a very simple laboratory experiment using an analogous system to try to answer the following questions:
1) How much methane could porous sands possibly hold per unit volume?
2) How will it affect the evaporation rate?
3) How could it affect the surface reflectivity?

As a laboratory analog for Titan’s hydrocarbon liquid mix (methane/ethane/nitrogen), I used solvent-grade heptane.
As an analog for Titan’s polar ice grains, I used either Flash-grade silica gel or analytical grade quartz beach sand. (The polar hydroxyl groups of the ice grains being analogous by the siloxy groups of silica)

The set-up
Three standard size 600 mL beakers were used:
Beaker A was charged with 400 mL silica gel
Beaker B was changed with 400 mL sand
Beaker C (control) was left empty.

Here are the initial images:
Attached Image

To initiate the experiment, a volume of Heptane was added to each beaker. Then, images and and weights were taken at key timepoints over a several day period to determine evaporation rate and monitor changes in visual appearance.

[Note: Although the temperature was held constant 298 K, the beakers were placed side-by-side in a fume hood with varying hoodflow (face velocity minimum was 100 cfm).]

Initial References:
Mitchell K.L., et al., LPSC 40 (2009) Abstract 1966. “A global sub-surface alkanifer system on Titan?”.

Hayes, A., et al. Geophysical Research Letters 35 (2008) L09204. “Hydrocarbon lakes on Titan: Distribution and interaction with a porous regolith”. doi: 10.1029/2008GL033409.

Sotin , C., et al. LPSC 40 (2009) Abstract 2088. “Ice-hydrocarbon interactions under Titan-like conditions: implications for the carbon cycle on Titan.”

Turtle, E. P., et al., Geophysical Research Letters 36 (2009) L02204. “Cassini Imaging of Titan’s High-Latitude Lakes, Clouds, and South-Polar Surface Changes.” doi: 10.1029/2008GL036186.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Feb 28 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #2

1) How much methane could porous sands hold?

Images after addition of heptane:
Attached Image

To 400 mL of silica gel in Beaker A was added 400 mL of heptanes. After stirring, the resulting slurry had a total volume of 425 mL. There was ca. 50 mL of clear solvent headspace.
Thus a volume of Flash grade silica can almost hold an equivalent volume of heptanes.
350 mL/400 mL = 87.5% volume equivalents

Attached Image

[I’ve been making flash silica slurries for most of my laboratory career, this result was a complete surprise!]

To the 400 mL of sand in Beaker B was added 200 mL heptanes. After stirring and settling, 25 mL of clear solvent head space remained.
225 mL/400 mL = 56% volume equivalents

Measured densities:
Flash grade silica: 0.488 g/mL (Lit.: 0.4 g/mL)
Sand: 1.607 g/mL (Lit.(dry sand): 1.6 g/mL)
Heptane 0.672 g/mL: (Lit.: 0.684 g/mL)

Based on this simulation, it is *possible* that crustal subsurface grains could hold a large (50-80% volume equivalent) amount of hydrocarbon solvent on Titan.

But for how long could it last???....

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 1 2009, 01:19 AM
Post #3

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Wow! blink.gif Neat experiment, Mike, thanks for sharing.

By any chance, did you try probing the slurry to see how firm it was? This sure seems to imply that Titan may have cryogenic quicksand in many spots; definite lander traps!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Mar 1 2009, 01:29 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (nprev @ Feb 28 2009, 08:19 PM) *
By any chance, did you try probing the slurry to see how firm it was? This sure seems to imply that Titan may have cryogenic quicksand in many spots; definite lander traps!

Thanks! I'm amazed at how much information can be extracted from a simple experiment. (Stay tuned!)

The sand was too heavy to slurry up. The silica was nice an fluid when agitated, but if you slowed down the stirring, it would set itself up.
(Think of stomping your feet in wet sand at the surf line. All OK when your feet are moving, but let the sand settle, and you are stuck!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Mar 1 2009, 01:46 AM
Post #5

2) How will it affect the evaporation rate?

Beakers A (400 mL silica+400 mL heptane), B (400 mL sand+200 mL heptanes) and C (heptane only) were weighed and compared to the weight prior to heptane addition.

Here is a set of images showing how the headspace evaporates in the sand/heptane mixture, then the solvent level in the substrate(indicated by red arrow) can be seen to drop, although the rate slows down:
Attached Image

The chart of measured weights (and calculated volumes) below shows the amount of heptane remaining over time:
Attached Image

As can be seen from the graph, the heptane-only control evaporates at a roughly constant rate, while the sand/heptane and silica/heptane mixtures display a change in evaporation rate over time

The evaporation rate was calculated by calculating the amount of heptane volume change over the previous time period. A log-log graph shows the trend of the evaporation rate over time for the different substrate mixtures:
Attached Image

As the solvent goes deeper into the mixture, the evaporation rate decays exponentially. At all timepoints measured, the sand substrate had the lowest evaporation rate, although it contained less absolute volume.

In the present experiment, a 10-fold drop in evaporation rate was observed in both sand and silica by 2800 min (48 h) when the solvent level in the sand matrix had dropped to 10 cm below the surface.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Mar 1 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #6

Assuming a constant surface evaporation rate of the heptanes in the control beaker at 0.4 mL (=cm3) and a beaker diameter of 10 cm (surface area of 78 cm2), we derive an evaporation rate of 0.005 cm/min (=2,693 m/yr) at Earth STP (298 K).

According to Hayes et al., 2008: “The evaporation rate [on Titan] is taken to be 0.3 m/yr, consistent with an average windspeed of 0.1 m/s, methane mixing ratio of 0.35 in the lakes and methane relative humidity of 50% [T = 95 K)

[Putting this in perspective, an evaporation rate of 0.3 m/yr it is roughly equivalent to the aqueous evaporation rate in Needles, California or 3x the evaporation rate in the Piedmont region of North Carolina. Here is a pretty cool link for evaporation rates: http://www.grow.arizona.edu/Grow--GrowReso...?ResourceId=208]

From the simulation, it can be seen that even after 10x the expected lifetime of free heptane at the surface, 10% of the original heptane remains in the silica matrix. Similarly, after 7x the expected lifetime of a quantity of heptanes at the surface, 10% of the original heptanes was measured in the sand matrix.
Attached Image
Attached Image

If these results scale, (and I’d speculate that the lower absolute temperatures on Titan would accentuate the effect), it would be reasonable to expect that a few m of porous substrate would be sufficient to eventually slow the evaporation rate at least 10 fold and allow quantities to remain in the porous matrix longer than would be expected based on the free liquid evaporation rate.

As one implication, Turtle et al, 2009 provides evidence for South Polar lakes that were detected by ISS, but were not observed by SAR RADAR 2.5 years later. They postulate that “enough liquid could have evaporated or percolated into the subsurface during the intervening years to explain the lack of lakes observed by RADAR”.

Considering the change in evaporation rate evidenced by the laboratory simulation above, it is possible that significant amounts of hydrocarbon solvents could even still be trapped in the lake sediments and remain in buffered communication with the atmosphere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 1 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #7

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (Juramike @ Feb 28 2009, 05:29 PM) *
The sand was too heavy to slurry up. The silica was nice an fluid when agitated, but if you slowed down the stirring, it would set itself up.

Hmm. But presumably actual Titanian surface material grains are much lighter than silica; still sounds like a sticky situation to me!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Mar 1 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #8

Assuming the heaviest materials on Titan's surface are pure ice grains, they would have a density of 1 g/mL.
At Titan's temperature (95 K), liquid methane would have a density about 0.45 g/mL.
(Other non-halogenated organics would be roughly 0.6 g/mL)

On Earth, density ratio of rock/water is about 8/1.
On Titan the density ratio of ice/hydrocarbon solvent is about 2/1 or lower. And Titan has a lower gravity, so things would settle out even slower (however, pure methane's viscosity is much less than the viscosity of water).

Throw some emulsifying materials into the mix, and it could be a really gross mess. Titan's streams and lakes could be more of a slurry than a broth.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Mar 1 2009, 11:04 PM
Post #9

Group: Members
Member No.: 279

QUOTE (Juramike @ Mar 1 2009, 10:23 PM) *
On Earth, density ratio of rock/water is about 8/1.
On Titan the density ratio of ice/hydrocarbon solvent is about 2/1 or lower. And Titan has a lower gravity, so things would settle out even slower (however, pure methane's viscosity is much less than the viscosity of water).

Quartz to water is around 2.6:1, not 8:1 - so it's on a par with your Titanian ice/solvent. Intriguing experiments though - any chance of doing similar at <100K and 1.5atm? ;-)

Andy

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Mar 1 2009, 11:54 PM
Post #10

(I stand corrected. Quartz density is ca. 2.65 g/mL. Thanks!) smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Mar 7 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1764

Great experiment, Mike. Nice and transparent. I'd have replied earlier
but was out in the field studying transient lakes in high-evaporation regions
(specifically Racetrack Playa in Death Valley) where there wasnt internet!

Evaporation rates from free liquid surfaces are controlled by the vapor pressure excess
(saturation v.p. minus ambient partial pressure), and windspeed. But in a regolith, as
the stuff starts drying out from the surface downwards, the labyrinth of pathways through
the pores becomes the limiting factor (pore size, tortuosity become factors) and the
evaporation rate falls off as inverse square root or log of time or something. Used to
be (maybe still is) a common problem examined for dessication of ice-saturated regolith
on Mars. Long ago Konrad Kossacki and I looked at the large-scale retention of porespace
on Titan regolith as a reservoir for liquid hydrocarbons (though the original idea was due
to Stevenson and Eluskiewicz)

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~rlorenz/kossacki.pdf

There's ample geomorphological evidence that Titan rivers can be vigorous, although that
doesnt mean some can be 'muddy'. Whether (or perhaps rather which and when) lakes
are 'tar' vs 'LNG' remains to be figured out, but I'd be shocked if at least some aren't LNG-like

Your basic point that the regolith can be a significant reservoir of even volatile hydrocarbons
is right on. It was basically your heptane-soaked silica (but methane/ethane-soaked ice perhaps)
that got rammed into the warm GCMS inlet at Huygens impact, and got sweated out.

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Mar 7 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Mar 7 2009, 11:42 AM) *

Ok, shameless self-plugging, but I just spotted this at the end of that paper (written in 1996)...

"In this sense, a buried ocean behaves thermodynamically (in terms of ocean-atmosphere
equilibrium) just like a surface ocean would. Note, however, that we are not advocating
that all of Titan's hydrocarbons are concealed in a porous regolith: we only suggest that most
of the 'deep, global ocean' can be concealed. It is likely that exposed regions of nonporous
ice may exist, as well as surface reservoirs (perhaps crater lakes (Lorenz 1994) of hydrocarbons"

Well, I make no apologies for getting the lake morphology wrong - seemed a good idea at
the time - but I'd venture this overall picture holds up pretty well.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 7 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Mar 7 2009, 04:42 PM) *
Whether (or perhaps rather which and when) lakes
are 'tar' vs 'LNG' remains to be figured out, but I'd be shocked if at least some aren't LNG-like

Thanks for sharing your thinking on that. (Plenty more lake science for Cassini to do!)

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Mar 9 2009, 03:34 AM
Post #14

3) How could it affect surface reflectivity?

Here is an set of side-view images of the silica/heptane beaker over time:
Attached Image

(and the same image, contrast enhanced):
Attached Image

Something very interesting happens as the heptane evaporates: the silica very quickly changes appearance (to appear dry), even though the silica still contains a large amount of heptane. This occurs between 30 and 60 minutes, although only a relatively small amount of heptane evaporated during this period (8 mL or 2% of the total.) At the 126 min image, very complex banding can be seen (possibly from evaporation/recondensation?).

In this example, the appearance of the porous material can changes quickly, even though the amount of solvent inside the grains is almost the same.

Only a tiny amount of solvent change is necessary to change the visual aspect!

At 1384 minutes, the silica appears uniformly dry, although it still contains 32% heptanes.
So even though it looks "not damp" it is not dry!

--------------------

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Mar 9 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 1563

Mike, would it be possible to place an optical microscope on its side, close enough to observe the grains through the glass, and allow it to move up and down on a platform (maybe a lab jack?) so that you could get some close up images of the grains at various levels? We have a couple of old and unused microscopes around our lab, I'm pretty sure no one would notice if I cannabalised one. I'm wondering if I can get chemistry to loan me some heptane so I can have a go myself!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:42 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.