Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

37 Pages V  « < 35 36 37  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Storm, Dust storm of 2007
Guest_Geographer_*
post Sep 12 2007, 07:35 AM
Post #541

Guests

Dust devils don't require dust to form (at least to my poor knowledge), it's just their manifestation in which they kick up dust that earned them that name.

Right, dust devils are wind spirals or mini tornados that only are visible when they kick up dust.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Nov 12 2007, 06:41 AM
Post #542

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

This comes from the Victoria Crater Panoramas topic. I am replying here because it seems to better fit this topic.
QUOTE (David @ Nov 11 2007, 01:02 PM) *
Did the recent dust storms change the structure of the crater-floor dunes at all? Or are they just the same?
That question really made me curious. I found pre- and post-storm pancam images of the central ripples from sols 953 and 1344. The two views were from quite different positions, so it was difficult to make a perfect flicker comparison animation due to the different perspectives. I adjusted them to overlay as best I could.

There is a bit of motion between some areas, but I am sure that is only due to some remaining perspective difference that I couldn't remove. I can't rule out small scale changes beyond the resolution of these images, but there seems to be no significant change due to the storm.
Attached Image

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 12 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #543

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

Thanks for that, Rocker! I had the same thought and also compared the old and new dune images. Like you I couldn't see any changes beyond what was probably perspective differences. Also, even if we had exactly the same viewpoint, I could imagine lighting differences mimicing slight shifts in the dunes, so you'd have to be very careful.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 31 2008, 01:51 PM
Post #544

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Split posts on making colour images from monochromatic images taken under differing illumination to a new thread.

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 35 36 37
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 06:36 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.