29 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Dawn Survey Orbit Phase, First orbital phase
antipode
post Aug 16 2011, 03:01 AM
Post #361

Group: Members
Member No.: 1206

Hmmm, we're still a fair way away, but do I see some lobate flow features outside the rim of the lower torso of the snowman? That's also one HUGE boulder that seems to be sitting on what passes for a central peak! Finally, is it just me (or the lighting angles) but does the lower torso look sharper edged (and younger) than the upper torso?

P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 16 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #362

Member No.: 530

I think there's one new image here:
http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/dawn_v...e_365886460.asp

The crater rim center top reminds me of old space art, with the ridiculous fumarole-like craters.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 17 2011, 01:29 AM
Post #363

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Overlay of PIA14671 and PIA14325 (false-color filtered image of the higher resolution bright splats on Vesta):

Attached Image

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 18 2011, 12:03 AM
Post #364

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Two of six faces more or less complete. But I'm running out of 1x1 and 1x3 plates; the other 4 faces might have a little bit coarser resolution, or maybe a different color smile.gif

Attached Image

(Cross-eyed stereo)

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Aug 18 2011, 12:19 AM
Post #365

Member No.: 114

Future Astronomy reporter?!

Great model! My 7yr son approves!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 18 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #366

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Awww... smile.gif

That looks ubercool thus far, Emily; thanks for a glimpse of the work in progress!

Re colors: Might be cool to do a topographical corolation with them of some sort, if that's at all feasible. The resolution of the model seems to be a couple square km per block or so.. laugh.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Aug 18 2011, 02:37 AM
Post #367

Member No.: 23

Using two of the recent images of the snowman, I created a quickie anaglyph.

Attached Image

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
t_oner
post Aug 18 2011, 08:22 AM
Post #368

Member No.: 508

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 18 2011, 03:03 AM) *
Two of six faces more or less complete.

And it all started as a joke...

+Quote Post
machi
post Aug 18 2011, 12:37 PM
Post #369

Member No.: 4057

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Aug 18 2011, 02:03 AM) *
Two of six faces more or less complete. But I'm running out of 1x1 and 1x3 plates; the other 4 faces might have a little bit coarser resolution, or maybe a different color smile.gif

Cool! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Juramike @ Aug 17 2011, 03:29 AM) *
Overlay of PIA14671 and PIA14325 (false-color filtered image of the higher resolution bright splats on Vesta):

Nice! It's interesting, that we still haven't true color images, only these with enhanced colors.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 18 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #370

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (machi @ Aug 18 2011, 02:37 PM) *
It's interesting, that we still haven't true color images, only these with enhanced colors.

The first press release after orbit insertion showed a color image from the imaging spectrometer that showed apparently visible wavelengths. It was completely white/gray with no visible color variation. I don't know if they normalized the reflectance to Vesta's average spectrum to get that, but even if they did, Vesta's actual color judging from Hubble data is very bland. I posted a colorized grayscale using Hubble 2-filter color data here, that should give you a rough idea on color intensity.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NickF
post Aug 19 2011, 05:48 PM
Post #371

Member No.: 4589

Dawn's south polar region (from July 24, 2011)

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/dawn/mul...a/pia14322.html

Attached Image

--------------------
Protein structures and Mars fun - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nick960/

+Quote Post
Adam Hurcewicz
post Aug 19 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #372

Member No.: 5205

QUOTE (Guillermo Abramson @ Aug 12 2011, 01:53 AM) *
Oh, I already did one! I will do something more after dinner with Tayfun first model. See the old one here: http://youtu.be/qAkRunZl3eY (standard Celestia model for Vesta).

(It's not public, only accessible through that link because I used Adam Hurcewicz map found on this thread, and could not contact hime to ask for his authorization. Adam, is it OK if I make it public?)

Yes, Guillermo smile.gif

I was in vacation and now I can write on forum.

--------------------
Adam Hurcewicz from Poland

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 19 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #373

Administrator

QUOTE (NickF @ Aug 19 2011, 09:48 AM) *
Dawn's south polar region (from July 24, 2011)
That image was released 2 weeks ago -- why post it now? Was there something about it you wanted to discuss?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 19 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #374

Administrator

I just noticed an oddity about how the Dawn images are posted. As usual, the punch line is: for the best quality version of an image, do not pass "Go," go to Photojournal and grab the TIFF.

Photojournal always has both TIFF and JPEG versions of an image. In rare, horrible cases, the TIFF has been made from a JPEG, but in most cases (including, as far as I can tell, Dawn), the TIFF is made from a file that was provided to the webmaster in some uncompressed format, and the lossily compressed JPEG made from that.

The NASA.gov website for Dawn is rarely updated with new image releases, so don't even bother going there.

As for the JPL Dawn website, you have to watch what you click on because there are a couple of different versions of each image. Go to the Image of the Day gallery and you'll see a bunch of thumbnails with brief captions. DO NOT CLICK ON THE THUMBNAILS. They take you to versions of the images that have been resampled to 700 pixels across, regardless of their initial size. Click instead on the "Full Image and Caption" link and then on the "Full Image and Caption" page go to the "Download Image > Full Size" link. The 700-pixel versions are the ones displayed on the "Full Image and Caption" page; they don't represent the original-res data. And they may even have been JPEG-compressed twice (once to make the "full size" JPEG, and again when saved as the 700-pixel version), but I'm not sure about that.

Or, like I said, just use Photojournal!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 19 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #375

Member No.: 1345

Will all the "images of the day" be going to Photojournal?

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 12:30 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.