6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pluto System Cartography, places and names
ZLD
post Sep 7 2015, 02:35 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 5458

If it were that simple, I can promise that I would have posted that. The person running that site does allow a person to upload an equirectangular projected map and and then submit it for purchase. I don't know if purchases are international or Japan only, didn't look that far into it. The function seems like it could be worked out with some time and MapMath for Gimp however.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MarsInMyLifetime
post Sep 7 2015, 03:03 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 6108

Yesterday Greg Smyer-Rumsby of Astronomy Now tweeted this printable project. I can report that a ledger-size printout produces a globe (roughly speaking) about 6" across--a nice size for my office, taking a little over an hour to complete (including changing glues and finding thinner forming sticks as it came together).
https://twitter.com/gregsmyerumsby/status/640137468071804929

Update: the result:
Attached Image
(Dali and Schrödinger duly represented with Tombaugh)

--------------------
--
Don

+Quote Post
hendric
post Sep 9 2015, 03:43 PM
Post #48

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (Req @ Sep 6 2015, 05:29 PM) *
Or there's this, a link from the page from the video, which appears to spit out something you can print given the proper input format, although I haven't tested it:

http://print-sphere.com/

No, they don't provide you the flat image file, they only offer you a cut printout of the final image. I uploaded the Pluto proposed names map, here's their simulated shot showing Tombaugh Regio

Attached Image

Their price for a 14cm diameter made-to-order sphere is about $10.50 US. They also offer a 9cm for ~$8 and a 6cm for ~$5.50.

I couldn't determine if they ship outside of Japan, maybe Panda or someone else who reads Japanese can check the website for us? Or ask if we can purchase just the output file?

http://print-sphere.jp/hpgen/HPB/shop/policy.html

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Vaebn
post Sep 13 2015, 06:51 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 7410

Hello folks. I've been a lurker for some time now, but I can't resist plugging myself in this thread.

For some time now, I've been using 3d printing to make little astronomical globes, particularly of the most rarely found as a physical globes objects of the solar system.

So for example, here's my Pluto & Charon to scale! smile.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

If you'd be interested in this sort of stuff you can find Pluto here:
http://shpws.me/J6Ik

And generally all my stuff here:
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/yo3d

I also make custom models and sets which can be of any size between 10-200m. So if you'd like something specific, or making use of a particular map I can upload a model and give you a private link to it!

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 13 2015, 08:37 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 105

How neat-- I like your work. I've been interested in a model of the Comet Churyumov-Gerasimenko.

--Bill

EDIT-- and let me add asteroid Ceres to the interest-list.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gennady Ionov
post Sep 13 2015, 08:42 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 7579

It's great! I also thought about how to print Pluto in 3D. But my printer is monochrome and would have to reflex color map by the surface heights ...

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 13 2015, 01:31 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 105

QUOTE (hendric)
I couldn't determine if they ship outside of Japan...

I frequently order motorcycle specialty electrical parts from a Japan-based company (Eastern Beaver) and shipping using Japan Postal is quick and painless. Japanese customs "info" is filled out on a label on the outside, I've never been questioned by US Customs and I've had USPS/UPS from the West Cost take longer to get here. I can't see how maps or DIY globes would be different.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Sep 14 2015, 01:54 PM
Post #53

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Vaebn,
Great work! Bookmarked for future presents. smile.gif Those tiny planets are just adorable.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Vaebn
post Sep 15 2015, 01:37 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 7410

Bill (also see PM) / Gennady / Hendric. Thanks!

On a sidenote, here's another idea I have been toying with, you may be interested in.

Nasa offers a wonderful free utility called g.projector that can take a cylindrical map and do various projections with it. http://www.giss.nasa.gov/tools/gprojector/

If someone takes a Pluto and/or other globe map, and did a "Sinusoidal" projection, and then in the settings selected the "30'' Gores" version of it, he ends up with a map like this:

Attached Image

Then, one could get styrofoam balls like these: http://goo.gl/P7m015 and simply... glue the pieces on to create a globe!

(Only bit that needs some attention would be to ensure that the width of the printout matches the circumference of the globe)

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Sep 15 2015, 10:08 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 184

I just put together a map version including some of the imagery from last week. Along with "raw" NH LORRI images, this utilizes the nicely done mosaic from Machi from 170000km distance, and an earlier one posted by Herobrine from a closer vantage point. HST from 1994 is in the southern hemisphere.

Attached Image

Still needs some cleanup, though for now the full resolution is here - http://stevealbers.net/albers/sos/sos.html#PLUTO.

EDIT: Sept 17th 0000UTC - The "cleaned up" 8K and 16K hires images are now in place at the link above.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Gennady Ionov
post Sep 19 2015, 02:33 PM
Post #56

The first test of automatic map generation:
Pluto
Attached Image
and Charon
Attached Image

Used frames:
lor_0298270214_0x630_sci_3
lor_0298615084_0x630_sci_1
lor_0298721434_0x630_sci_1
lor_0298721464_0x630_sci_1
lor_0298721714_0x630_sci_1
lor_0298787064_0x630_sci_1
lor_0298787094_0x630_sci_1
lor_0298787344_0x630_sci_1
For example
Attached Image
and restored from maps
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Sep 19 2015, 04:21 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 7310

QUOTE (scalbers @ Sep 16 2015, 12:08 AM) *
I just put together a map version including some of the imagery from last week. Along with "raw" NH LORRI images, this utilizes the nicely done mosaic from Machi from 170000km distance, and an earlier one posted by Herobrine from a closer vantage point. HST from 1994 is in the southern hemisphere.

Hmm - wow, according to your map, we are really close to being able to spot the original "polygonal" feature from the approach images on the NH images we've seen thus far. Maybe limb shots taken several hours later can show parts of it? Part of the problem is of course that the rest of the limb might block it from view as NH flies closer to Pluto.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Sep 19 2015, 06:48 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 184

This question (referring to Yutu Linea) has a good bit of fascination to it. It might show up near the limb of the sunlit crescent some hours after closest approach. The sun is rising just above the horizon from this location. The ground track takes some interesting turns as in this graphic excerpted from one of Alan Stern's presentations:

Attached Image

I rotated it so North is up. Yutu is about 35N latitude 0 longitude. The best viewing chance should be immediately after the ground track goes farthest to the right (in the southern hemisphere) after closest approach. This is after Pluto is eclipsing the sun. I'm unsure exactly how many hours after closest approach this ground track location is reached, though I see several LORRI opportunities that could cover this. It's really a close call though as a rough calculation has the center of Yutu being just a degree or two of great circle distance this side of the limb.

Note that we never really go far enough westward prior to closest approach to catch this looking over the North Pole. It looks like the best possible view is just about the time of Machi's mosaic used in the map.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Gennady Ionov
post Sep 20 2015, 05:44 AM
Post #59

The next approximation:
Pluto and Charon:
Attached Image

Attached Image

longitude-latitude projection:
Attached Image
Attached Image

Additionally used frames:
lor_0298893474_0x630_sci_1
lor_0298893504_0x630_sci_1
lor_0298893754_0x630_sci_1

Example (restored from the maps view on the left):
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gennady Ionov
post Sep 20 2015, 05:07 PM
Post #60

I take a picture area of the sky, where was Pluto and Charon:
Attached Image
Attached Image

RA = 18h 2m 25s Dec = -14° 39' 28"

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:39 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.