Pluto Foldable Globe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Dec 21 2015, 10:02 PM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

Thanks, Chuck. Is a Charon foldable globe in the works?

AND while I'm thinking of it in the "places and names" section-- has there ever been a proclamation of official IAU names for the Pluto-Charon system? As far as I can see we're still ticking along with "unofficial names". Odd, since Ceres is updated with official names through this month.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
chuckclark
post Dec 22 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 3967

a Charon foldable globe?

Yes, Charon is on my radar, but awaiting the more complete coverage release they promise here:

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Multimedia/Science...mp;image_id=264:
"Many additional images now stored on the spacecraft’s digital data recorders are expected to be transmitted "home" in fall 2015 and these will be used to complete the global map."

I'm prepping the Pluto data now for LPSC 47. If anyone can convert the colorized Pluto image to a simple cylindrical, I'd be happy to immediately update the Pluto daisy-petal map.

Anyone?

c

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Mar 18 2016, 05:25 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 184

Would someone be able to remind me where the best (possibly) official Pluto map is available? IIRC this is in "enhanced" color (IR/R/B) and about 18000 pixels across. It may or may not have feature names added. Thanks...

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Mar 18 2016, 07:56 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 5458

As far as I know, this is the current best map available. Its missing the other half of the imaged regions and is only a composition of the red and blue channels from MVIC though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Mar 19 2016, 02:40 PM
Post #66

Have we ever gotten official Pluto-system names or are we still moseying along with informal names?

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 19 2016, 03:56 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 497

Other than the general categories, I don't see anything at http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/ about official Pluto nomenclature.
See https://www.iau.org/public/themes/naming/ for a description of the process.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
alan
post Mar 19 2016, 06:07 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 110

I wonder if they have submitted the names, or if they are planning to use the names informally until it is too late for the IAU to overrule them.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 19 2016, 07:03 PM
Post #69

QUOTE (alan @ Mar 19 2016, 10:07 AM) *
I wonder if they have submitted the names, or if they are planning to use the names informally until it is too late for the IAU to overrule them.

What does "too late" mean? The MSL team sometimes uses "Mount Sharp" in publications, but it's never going to be an official IAU name. The NH team uses their names in LPSC abstracts, with a caveat of "all feature names here are informal". I expect we've got a few hundred years at least before the names of surface features on Pluto are of more than academic interest.

I suspect the lack of progress is a mixture of the general slowness of the process and some real controversy. Perhaps surprisingly, the IAU seems to have blessed the use of Charon as the home of sci-fi names. On the other hand, some of the NH team's suggestions are likely never going to be approved by IAU because they simply don't fit with the established naming conventions.

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/pluto-we-have...ly-on-iau-maps/

I'd guess this has been discussed ad nauseum on other threads.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
alan
post Mar 21 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 110

What does "too late" mean?

Just that some of the names like Sputnik Planum are likely to be the only names most people will remember for the features no matter what the IAU decides.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Mar 21 2016, 07:12 PM
Post #71

The IAU may been useful in the days when you documented a comet discovery by sending a telegram to Harvard, et al. I rather like the informal naming conventions on our non-planet system Pluto and Charon.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Mar 21 2016, 10:14 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 321

A tale I've mentioned before:

The USGS map and some scientific paper(s) used different names for one of Europa's linea features. As far as I could tell, I was the first person to catch the discrepancy. And what of it? It's never going to be a household name. Both the USGS designations and the paper are and will always be obscure. For the difference between de jure and de facto to mean much, there has to be more than a trivial number of people paying attention.

+Quote Post
Herobrine
post Mar 22 2016, 01:53 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 7408

At home, I have a browser plug-in configured to replace all occurrences of the word "official" with "IAU" in any paragraph that also contains the word "name" or "definition" on this site. My experience here improved significantly after I did that.

EDIT: In response to mcaplinger's post below (replying here so as not to continue the discussion below the red text (yes, I know that's cheating)):
QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Mar 22 2016, 11:07 AM) *
So in my post above you read "The MSL team sometimes uses "Mount Sharp" in publications, but it's never going to be an official IAU name" as "it's never going to be an IAU IAU name"? Yeah, that seems helpful. rolleyes.gif

No; the browser plug-in I use lets me define substitutions using regular expressions, so I accounted for the "official IAU" case, as well as some other shouldn't-match cases using negative lookarounds. Seeing "official IAU" in your post was actually what made me think of it and decide to mention it. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 22 2016, 03:07 PM
Post #74

QUOTE (Herobrine @ Mar 22 2016, 05:53 AM) *
At home, I have a browser plug-in configured to replace all occurrences of the word "official" with "IAU" in any paragraph that also contains the word "name" or "definition" on this site.

So in my post above you read "The MSL team sometimes uses "Mount Sharp" in publications, but it's never going to be an official IAU name" as "it's never going to be an IAU IAU name"? Yeah, that seems helpful. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 22 2016, 11:49 PM
Post #75

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

MOD NOTE: Aaaaand that's the end of the IAU tangent here.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:46 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.