Reply to this topicStart new topic
Eyes on the Solar System
djellison
post Mar 10 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #16

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I was giving the writer a demo yesterday or the day before - no idea whatsoever that she was 'media'

The Kudos goes to Jon, Paul and Anton for the programming work, Brian, Christian and Chris for the 3D work. I'm just lucky enough to get to show it off.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 5 2011, 10:16 AM
Post #17

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Great that there has been a link on the JPL site for a while, but nice to finally see a dedicated article promoting Eyes.

Try it for the first time http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/eyes/
or if you haven't looked in a while, then check out new features like the ultra-cool 3D mode and all the spacecraft model updates (the Pioneers are back!)

If you do any Outreach work then you definitely want to use Eyes on the Solar System.
If you just enjoy space exploration, then share Eyes with others as well as it's cousin Eyes on the Earth 3D.

Saw it at the last JPL Open House and still wishing for Eyes on the Network (DSN) to get a public consumption release one day.
It was a perfect way to demonstrate the world wide system of antennas communicating with spacecraft across the solar system and beyond.

All three programs literally bring 'mission control' to your home.

+Quote Post
JTN
post Aug 9 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #18

Group: Members
Member No.: 563

So... I saw that Eyes now appears to be Java-based, raising my hopes that it might now be usable on Linux. But enabling Java, I just get a little grey Java window that does nothing.

It's described as a "Java launched version", and system requirements are still Windows or Mac. But it's also described as "No game-engine plug-in required", contrasting with "The classic version requires installing the Unity 3D Web Player plugin for your web browser." But there's not much more technical info.

What's going on under the hood, and is there any hope of ever persuading it to go on Linux? Is it somehow a Java wrapper for native code (Unity in non-plugin form?) that is platform-specific?

Sorry if this upgrade was covered elsewhere -- I've not yet managed to find any more details by searching either this forum or the Eyes website.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 9 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #19

Founder

Bingo. "Is it somehow a Java wrapper for native code (Unity in non-plugin form?) that is platform-specific?" is exactly right.

The team uses Unity to develop (so we can continue to offer the legacy browser plugin version) but as yet, there is no Linux support within Unity.

Linux support is allegedly appearing in Unity 4 - at which point we will try and support it.

+Quote Post
JTN
post Aug 9 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 563

Thx -- will look forward patiently to that possibility smile.gif

+Quote Post
akuo
post Aug 26 2012, 06:24 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 63

Currently MRO drops from the Martian sky on Aug 27th at 17:43 UTC in my Eyes on the Solar system :-P

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 26 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #22

Founder

We get data updates every couple of weeks. That's when the last batch of data runs out. You'll be able to find the same thing with many many spacecraft if you look close enough.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:52 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.