IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

40 Pages V  « < 34 35 36 37 38 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL "Drive, drive, drive" toward Glenelg, The scientists (mostly) get the keys - sols 38-56
xflare
post Oct 13 2012, 02:11 PM
Post #526

Group: Members
Member No.: 84

Talking of pebbles - Sol 52

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...0000E1_DXXX.jpg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Oct 13 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #527

Member No.: 678

Mont Sharp by the Mastcam100 at Sol45 is finaly over.

The classical "raw" stitched one, with links to the various resolutions :

And the "postcard" one with an extended sky. I had to work on a 3/4 reduced sized version because of the weight of this kind of picture.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 13 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #528

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (xflare @ Oct 13 2012, 06:11 AM) *

blink.gif ...wow. Speaking of conglomerates! That nice smooth-looking pebble stuck right of center in it is most intriguing.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 13 2012, 03:10 PM
Post #529

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Oct 13 2012, 03:54 PM) *
Mont Sharp by the Mastcam100 at Sol45 is finaly over.

That, my friend, is a thing of beauty. I envy the people who will one day stand on the spot where Curiosity took those images and see Mt Sharp in all its glory. But you've shown it to me, so thank you! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Oct 13 2012, 06:53 PM
Post #530

Thank you so much Stu smile.gif

I think there will be some rest for my computer. This is the largest panoramic I ever made ! 42 519 Χ 2505 pixels and 34.3 Mo for the full resolution !

This the Sol45 Mastcam100 pan, showing a full 180° of landscape. Sadly, I just can't visualise the full res on my computer (a black area appear on the right part, at 2/3 from the left…).

--------------------

+Quote Post
ronald
post Oct 13 2012, 07:27 PM
Post #531

Member No.: 6658

Impressive work Ant! The sol 45 postcard of Aeolis Mons aka Mount Sharp is just beautiful.

I have only a small one to add - sol 52, 34mm vertical pan:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 13 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #532

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

A couple of suggestions for Beaulieu on Earth (only the one in Canada's north works in this context) - but I was asking where it is on Mars. Which place, which sol, which image - can anyone locate it?

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
ronald
post Oct 13 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #533

Member No.: 6658

Sol 55 - Mastcam left 34mm:

Attached Image

Big version here.

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Oct 13 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #534

And how about some postcard. Two smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
morganism
post Oct 13 2012, 11:41 PM
Post #535

Member No.: 6610

how close is the match between Jake and Phobos or Deimos?

--------------------
Thomas Gold was probably right about a iceball Mars.....

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 13 2012, 11:59 PM
Post #536

Member No.: 602

I would presume not very. Phobos & Deimos are probably captured carbonaceous asteroids. They may have some splatter on their surfaces from Martian impact debris, but given that Jake is igneous in origin & seemingly may have had to form in the presence of water I think it's unlikely that it's originally from either of those bodies.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Oct 14 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #537

Member No.: 1102

If I understand correctly (which I may not as I am a microbiologist tongue.gif ) there is confusion about Jake and water from the teleconference. Jake did not form in the presence of surface or liquid water, but rather at depth where rocks and minerals are hydrated and there is water dissolved in magma. If the pressure is released too quickly, you get an explosion, like at Mt St. Helens. Jake was the last rock to crystalize/solidify out of the cooling magma---the less soluble minerals crystalized out earlier. The fact that Jake was not a frothy rock (or pumice) indicates that it solidified at a high enough pressure (deep enough) to keep the water in the magma phase. Some day I will have to actually study rocks--hope I'm not too far off.

--------------------

+Quote Post
EdTruthan
post Oct 14 2012, 12:29 AM
Post #538

Member No.: 6500

QUOTE (Ant103 @ Oct 13 2012, 03:06 PM) *
And how about some postcard. Two smile.gif

Beautiful post cards Ant. And here's one in stereo. Sunset at Gale ~ Sol 50 ~ MC34 & MC100 anaglyph pairing.

...no words.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 14 2012, 04:18 AM
Post #539

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Floyd @ Oct 13 2012, 04:24 PM) *
If I understand correctly (which I may not as I am a microbiologist tongue.gif ) there is confusion about Jake and water from the teleconference. Jake did not form in the presence of surface or liquid water, but rather at depth where rocks and minerals are hydrated and there is water dissolved in magma. If the pressure is released too quickly, you get an explosion, like at Mt St. Helens. Jake was the last rock to crystalize/solidify out of the cooling magma---the less soluble minerals crystalized out earlier. The fact that Jake was not a frothy rock (or pumice) indicates that it solidified at a high enough pressure (deep enough) to keep the water in the magma phase. Some day I will have to actually study rocks--hope I'm not too far off.

That's not what I heard. People were trying to read too much into the composition. We have a rock whose composition is different in certain interesting ways from Mars meteorites or basalts seen by Opportunity or Spirit. It is still a basalt. If you look at a library of basalts from Earth environments, it is most similar to a particular kind of basalt found in certain environments at ocean islands or in eclogites. On Earth, that implies that a variety of different origins are possible. On Mars, who knows? The environments could've been similar to the ones that made similar-composition rocks on Earth, but they could also have been different. With only a single rock that is not in place, it's way too early to say anything beyond the fact that it has a so far unique composition.

--------------------
My blog - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Oct 14 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #540

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

A version of the sol 50 view with Mastcam M-100 and M-34 images to fill in the top. Thanks mcaplinger for the tip on color adjustment in the Images and Cameras thread.

An anaglyph version:

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 34 35 36 37 38 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2020 - 12:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.