IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

36 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Images & Cameras, technical discussions of images, image processing and cameras
wildespace
post May 3 2014, 11:24 AM
Post #421

Group: Members
Member No.: 6842

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I'd like to enquire about the jpeg compression in the images we receive at http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/multimedia/raw/

The jpeg compression seems to be very heavy, producing noticeable artifacts and interfering with finer details in the image. Here's an example: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...837E01_DXXX.jpg

Is this necessitated by the bandwidth concerns, huge amount of images being uploaded, or something else. Is there anywhere we can see images with little jpeg compression?

Thanks.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 3 2014, 03:44 PM
Post #422

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I don't know for certain but have always speculated that the heavy JPEG compression is a compromise made to enable the public to see the pictures rapidly while making them very hard to use for scientific purposes -- only the people who are working on the mission have access to versions with less compression. (Most Mastcam images are returned from Mars with some level of JPEG compression already.) But all you have to do is wait a few months to see the high-quality data on the PDS, either via the Analyst's Notebook or the Imaging Node. I wish more members of this forum would work with PDS data, because the quality of the images on the Internet would be much higher.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 1 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #423

Member No.: 6780

Surface roughness estimate, derived from Joe's website, for Sol 735 location:

(from green for "smooth" over yellow for "rough" to red for "very rough".)

Basic steps to obtain the map:
- screenshot,
- hipass radius 2,
- edge filter radius 2,
- gauss blur 1,
- differently biased linear brightness stretching, and colorizing for red, green, yellow,
- adding up darkened raw screenshot and the three color maps.

No DTM used.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 2 2014, 05:30 PM
Post #424

Member No.: 1200

Which image did you use? Non-map projected, map projected or Orthorectified?

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 2 2014, 06:13 PM
Post #425

The starting point has been this screenshot of Joe's website.
Maybe Joe can help which HiRISE image has been used for the tile.

If you like, I could provide intermediate processed images for comparing the processing steps, and a more detailed description.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 2 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #426

What kind of image processing software did you use?

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 2 2014, 09:05 PM
Post #427

PhotoScape v.3.6.2, no updates (for brighness stretching (including brightness inversion), edge filter, blur, removal of RGB channels), and
Corel PaintShop Pro X5, 15.0.0.183, without updates (for hipass filtering, darkening by halving average with itself, and adding of images).
Intermediate images have been PNG to avoid loss of data.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 2 2014, 11:04 PM
Post #428

Thanks. I'll see if I can duplicate the map. Good work, pretty similar to other maps I have seen on Lab.

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Sep 2 2014, 11:20 PM
Post #429

Member No.: 13

The HiRISE imagery is from ESP018854. Here's an excerpt from the LBL file

PRODUCT_ID = "ESP_018854_1755_RED_A_01_ORTHO"
INSTRUMENT_HOST_NAME = "MARS RECONNAISSANCE ORBITER"
MAP_PROJECTION_TYPE = "EQUIRECTANGULAR"
PROJECTION_LATITUDE_TYPE = PLANETOCENTRIC
COORDINATE_SYSTEM_NAME = PLANETOCENTRIC
MAP_RESOLUTION = 234342.21869827 <PIX/DEG>
MAP_SCALE = 0.25294075413541 <METERS/PIXEL>

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 3 2014, 04:09 AM
Post #430

OK, thanks. I had done something similar, hipass and gaussian blur, I had not included the edge detector. Interesting. Maybe the admins can move this short exchange to one of the image processing threads.
Paolo

ADMIN: Done smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 3 2014, 02:32 PM
Post #431

Hipass taken allone plus blur eliminates small neighbouring bright and dark features. To avoid this, the edge filter has been a convenient way.
A slightly different approach is using |v - 0.5| with v the hipassed pixel value, means calculating the absolute difference of the hipassed image from the 50% uniformly grey image.

Here two high-resolution versions obtained by this second, and maybe more accurate approach: The 4x-stretched greyscale image, and the averaged result of some playing with colors on the raw screenshot, the greyscale image, and the radius 1-gauss-blurred greyscale image.

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Sep 18 2014, 04:57 PM
Post #432

Member No.: 6842

The Mastcam shows a nice Depth of Field in this image: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...305E01_DXXX.jpg

How close was the terrain that is in focus, and how far was the terrain that appears out of focus? Are there any other Mastcam images that show such pronounced depth of field?

Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Sep 27 2014, 05:26 AM
Post #433

Member No.: 3988

QUOTE (Gerald @ Sep 26 2014, 03:00 AM) *
Presuming MR images as a little too greenish, and the light as reddish....
Someone may try to get reasonable results by defining the tailings as grey.
Based on my preliminary tries to adjust colors, my favored interpretation of the presumed colors is a mix of light gray with dark red material.

I have settled on for my processing of Mastcam images using the following values in the channels mixer in Photoshop. I have been using these for a while now and will be using this as a standard for all my Mastcam image processing in the future. I find that using these values are roughly close to the DRCL and DRCX PDS color corrected images.
<output channel selection- Red>
R=106
G=0
B=0

<output channel selection- Blue>
R=0
G=0
B=113

Then I lower the brightness if necessary.

I hope this helps.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Sep 27 2014, 07:45 AM
Post #434

Thanks a lot! I'll take it as an invitation to dig a little deeper into PDS camera calibration, to find out the precise meaning of the color corrections.
Applied to the current tailings, saturation looks a little too low, and hue too bluish to be the "true" colors as they would be under white light. But I'm not sure, whether that's the appropriate expectation; maybe the adjusted colors represent more the deviation from the overall orangish tone; or it's the different light condition at Pahrump.
No wonder they called one of the targets 'Paradox'.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Sep 27 2014, 05:14 PM
Post #435

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Gerald @ Sep 27 2014, 12:45 AM) *
dig a little deeper into PDS camera calibration, to find out the precise meaning of the color corrections.

This discussion should be moved over to "images and cameras" where I thought we'd beaten it to death already. ADMIN: It has been.

Technically you can't just multiply the square-root-encoded data. The PDS correction process linearizes the images and applies the corrections. That said, working entirely in non-linear space may be OK for the dynamic range of the typical image.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:17 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.