Reply to this topicStart new topic
Enceladus August 11, 2008 encounter, Close-up observations of plume vents
jasedm
post Aug 6 2008, 10:27 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 655

QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 6 2008, 02:07 AM) *
Bet they're looking for some high-phase optical plume pics.

That would be very cool - this is high speed flyby (compared to most for Cassini) so lots of trade-offs at C/A, but perhaps there will be an attempt to take a number of images over cairo vent 'E', to enable the construction of a crude movie of the plume - similar to that achieved by Voyager 2 at Triton.
It would make sense to concentrate on the day/night terminator, as the plume would show up better against the nightside.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 6 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 13

Here's another animation, a much less frenetic, real-time view of the first four minutes or so after closest approach:

Enceladus Aug. 2008 flyby, real-time (60MB mpg file)

It starts just before closest approach with the ISS cameras pointing out into space (almost due north). The cameras fixate on the Cairo tiger stripe (vent E) for quite a while. This is only the first four minutes--looks like there's about a half-hour of ISS time possible before the eclipse.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Aug 6 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1102

The Mission Description is up. Link

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/prod...description.pdf

--------------------

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Aug 6 2008, 10:04 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 557

My appetite is whetted. Big time.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 6 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #20

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Aug 6 2008, 11:57 AM) *
Here's another animation, a much less frenetic, real-time view of the first four minutes or so after closest approach:

That was beautiful! Thank you for making those!

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Aug 6 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 1102

Joe, Really great animation!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 7 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #22

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

CICLOPS description is now up (with a really nice detailed explanation of the camera pointing sequences): http://ciclops.org/view/5156/Enceladus_Rev_80_Flyby

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Aug 7 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 627

Wow!!!! This is going to be some encounter!!!!

Craig

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 7 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 523

A detailed description indeed. Reminds me of the (still definitive) Iapetus imaging sequence plan by Tilmann Denk.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 7 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Juramike @ Aug 7 2008, 11:13 AM) *
CICLOPS description is now up (with a really nice detailed explanation of the camera pointing sequences): http://ciclops.org/view/5156/Enceladus_Rev_80_Flyby

Wow... fantastic detail in the description!

I like the comment at the end from Carolyn Porco: "Prepare to be amazed!"

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 8 2008, 02:06 AM
Post #26

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 3 2008, 12:28 PM) *
Yikes they are really going to be diving trough those ice plumes.

Unfortunately, it's too much to hope for a few bugs on the windshield as well... tongue.gif

Not to stray too far OT here, but I really wonder how much material a future Enceladus plume sampling instrument could accumulate doing flybys like this. Perhaps Cassini is testing the water...? (yeah...go ahead & shoot me for that, it's deserved.)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 8 2008, 03:17 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 530

They're blogging the encounter here:
http://blogs.nasa.gov/cm/blog/cassini-aug08/

And there's a pretty sweet encounter video there...

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Aug 8 2008, 04:00 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 557

It is a good encounter video, and informative, but I find our own "less frenetic" simulation compliments this new (and official) one pretty well. I like them both.

There has been a lot to look forward to on this mission, but I rate this encounter among my personal big three. First there was the anticipation of the first aerial and surface pictures of Titan from Huygens, and they didn't disappoint. Then there was waiting for the first shots from the Iapetus flyby. Needless to say, well worth the wait.

Now we await the best photos we will see from this mission of the tiger stripe active vents. We will see ...

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Aug 8 2008, 11:28 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 655

Wonderful. This has to be the best flyby yet in terms of availability to the public of instrument plans, sequences and computer simulations of the encounter.
It's very obvious the amount of work and close-scrutiny that has gone into the spacecraft attitude, trajectory, and pointing so that every conceivable opportunity for measurements with all of the instruments can be achieved.
It looks like Cassini will be operating at the absolute limits of its capabilities with regard to screwing as much science as possible out of the flyby - I'm particularly interested to see what comes out of what's being referred to as the 'skeet-shoot' images - it seems very experimental seat-of-the-pants stuff.

I'd be surprised if any spacecraft to date has executed a more complicated list of commands during such a short near-encounter timescale.

Can't wait.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 8 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #30

Sounds like an impressively complicated and exacting maneuver to get Cassini's rotation to just cancel out Enc's apparent motion during the skeet shoot.

From the description, looks like they're taking just one photo at each of the skeet shoot locations--so no closeup "movies" of plumes? What are the odds the plumes would even be visible, looking down on them?

Hypothetically, anyone know what the typical shutter times are for the ISS cameras in this kind of lighting, also the minimum cycle time in "burst mode"?

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:50 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.