Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Asimov writing about Vesta
siravan
post Jul 26 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1472

While waiting for release of more images, I have a historical question about Vesta. I remember that back in late seventies or early eighties, I read a popular science book by Isaac Asimov, which had a chapter about Vesta. He mentioned that Vesta is visually the brightest of the asteroids, but of course, not the largest. He then states that the reason is the unusually high albedo of Vesta and that it should be covered by ice. Clearly, Vesta is rocky. Does any one of you guys (especially 'old timers') remember the historical background about this issue?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 26 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #2

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Today people do accept the idea of some ice on objects in the asteroid belt, but I don't recall anyone taking that idea seriously back in Asimov's time.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
john_s
post Jul 26 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 117

Tom McCord and colleagues indentified pyroxene on Vesta, and noted the similarity of its spectrum to those of eucrite meteorites, back in 1970. So Asimov either wasn't aware of that work, or wrote what he wrote prior to 1970. Heres the ADS link to the 1970 paper

+Quote Post
siravan
post Jul 26 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1472

Phil and John, thanks a lot for your insight. I guess sometimes we underestimate what a great resource UMSF is!

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Jul 26 2011, 11:09 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 82

QUOTE (john_s @ Jul 26 2011, 07:26 PM) *
Tom McCord and colleagues indentified pyroxene on Vesta, and noted the similarity of its spectrum to those of eucrite meteorites, back in 1970. So Asimov either wasn't aware of that work, or wrote what he wrote prior to 1970. Heres the ADS link to the 1970 paper

I also remember reading that Asimov article when I was a kid, in one of the book-sized collections, so it had to have been published before the mid-1970s. My guess is that the original article must have been written sometime in the 1960s or late 1950s, when most of those collected Asimov articles were written.

edit -- I am thinking of the collected articles, not a stand-alone book, so I assume that he wrote about Vesta more than once.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 26 2011, 11:59 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 530

Google book search, The Solar System and Back, 1970:
http://books.google.com/books?ei=J1QvTsKnA...a#search_anchor

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Jul 27 2011, 02:01 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 82

Wikipedia Article

The Solar System and Back (1970) is the seventh collection of Isaac Asimov's essays, reprinted from The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (F&SF).

Book Review

Chapter 4: "Little Lost Satellite" (July 1968): the asteroids Ceres, Pallas, Juno, and Vesta

I will add that in my personal opinion, giving someone in their early teens the complete set of Asimov's F&SF essay collections would do more towards creating a lifelong interest in science than almost anything else, even with their general out-of-datedness.

+Quote Post
mchan
post Jul 27 2011, 07:59 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 476

Similarly, Asimov's "Lucky Starr" series of juvenile science fiction was one of the series of books that got me more interested in the science part of science fiction. They are good also for the historical perspective of what was known about the planets in the 1950's which was very little and often times wrong compared to current knowledge. I.e., they illustrate how UMSF (in the general sense) and technological progress in ground based astronomy have dramatically increased our views of the solar system.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:08 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.