Reply to this topicStart new topic
Member Questions to Administrators, Matters related to the Forum
infocat13
post May 31 2014, 03:51 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 479

QUOTE (infocat13 @ May 29 2014, 08:03 PM) *
Cool I look foreword to your thoughts on the restructuring of the mars 2020 thread and the next 4 years of MEPAg mars lander committee reports....................

possibly in future the members here with your great skills could create our own landing sight candidate and submit to the landing site committee, that would be a fantatsist citizen science contribution...................

so i am working on a post for the conference site here but i will wait for mods to guide me or or some day the conference site post I may make could be migrated to an active mission?

I am working on a general mars landing site post

and three other posts

one is a landing site in the 4 original mars 2012 lander sites

the other is paleo river and lake sites
the third is

Landing Sites in and Near the Chasmata

posts beyond these are UMS created new landing sites ?
or you folks are so creative with imagining of future MRO imaging of the landing site committee candidates?

I sleep now and dream of mars 2020 as seen through the eyes thereof MEPAG decadel survey landing site committee........... its 5 years from now but join me

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
geckzilla
post Jun 27 2014, 06:27 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 7197

Starship Asterisk is mentioned in the rules as a place to go to discuss the topics banned at this forum. While it may be true for some things like astrobiology or some casual talk about Pluto's planethood, it's not a good place to send people regarding pseudoscience, aliens, politics, religion, etc. I'm one of the three admins there and while we want to be very open to anyone who is curious about astronomy and science in general, we've tried very hard to turn the forum around in the past few years. It's still not a place where serious discussions happen often but it is slowly changing. We aggressively moderate crackpots and anti-science and try to keep it informative and stick to mainstream science.

I think Asterisk was added to that list when there were no rules and the crackpots were running rampant. I don't know if it is even necessary to change the wording of the rules, but I do want to say that I don't want the garbage flowing over to my forum any more than it already does! wink.gif

Anyway, from one admin to another, I admire the work and passion you guys put into your forum.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 27 2014, 06:35 PM
Post #48

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Noted, Judy! But I think the same is true of some other forums mentioned there as well (notably NASASpaceflight). I think Starship Asterisk and NASASpaceflight both represent good locations to discuss human spaceflight and astrobiology, both of which are banned topics here, for instance. How about we add the following sentence to that list: "Each of these forums has its own unique rules of conduct and allowable content."

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
geckzilla
post Jun 27 2014, 07:20 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 7197

Nod. I'm sure the other forums don't want people ignoring their rules, either. It's hard to keep up with them but I would guess that a lot of them have gone through similar processes restructuring to cut the chaff out. There's probably not a lot of legitimate places to go have an argument about aliens these days. Asterisk was one of the last.

+Quote Post
t_oner
post Jun 28 2014, 07:46 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 508

Is it possible to change my username?

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jun 28 2014, 08:52 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 615

I don't believe that the Change Display Name option is enabled on the Forum.
If you can send me a PM with the change you'd like to make, I will get the backroom team to amend it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Sep 15 2014, 11:35 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 627

Ok admins...

Feel stupid bringing this up this way... but then... here goes.

Attached Image

This detail of vents on 67P/C-G was displayed and discussed during todays ROSETTA PHILAE Landing site briefing at around 17:10 into the briefing.
No one on this forum has brought this up.

I find it fascinating and jaw dropping. Thanks to the OSIRIS image team for showing this...

Should we stay mum because we do not want to dry up any golden nuggets like this from being released given ROSETTA mission image policy?

Or am I being paranoid?

Craig

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 16 2014, 07:08 AM
Post #53

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Maybe nobody else noticed it; good eye!

There's an ESA logo on that slide, so my assumption would be that it was intentionally released by them. Don't see any reason not to discuss it.

(Disclaimer: I'm just a mod, not an admin.)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Sep 16 2014, 07:32 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 132

Why would the Rosetta team not want images it presents at a press briefing discussed, and published? They pointed out that in landing at site J, the chosen landing site, Philae would be within sight of those vents and hopefully see them in action. Hopefully there will be no "hole in one" as with Opportunity! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Sep 16 2014, 11:34 AM
Post #55

Was just surprised I did not see these among the released images published in the ROSETTA blog. Do not want to rock a boat and have them clamp down even more.

Images really are cool.....

Not a people person and sometimes I do not have much sense!

Will still wait for am admin to reply here...

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Sep 16 2014, 01:01 PM
Post #56

Well BBC News release has imbedded video where Imaging Lead Holger Sierks outlines these vent zones.. so will post to our ROSETTA

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 17 2014, 01:52 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 615

If ESA has released it then it's open for discussion.

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jul 13 2015, 11:33 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 424

Is there a way to send PMs to multiple recipients, or do you have to create a separate PM for each one?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 14 2015, 12:55 AM
Post #59

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Not an admin, but I know this one. If you go to the 'compose message' option you'll see a box where you can CC up to six other members, Tom.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jul 14 2015, 01:11 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 424

Thanks Nick, but I don't see a cc field when I click on "compose new message."

There's a field for "recipient," and next to it is a drop-down menu that says "other," with one item in the menu. Choosing "other" doesn't do anything, and the one item in the menu is the name of a user who has posted 4 times (I might have a dim recollection of sending him a PM about something 8 or 9 years ago).

I tried putting multiple usernames in the "recipient" field, separated by commas, but the system rejected it.

Sorry to be bringing this up on the eve of Pluto closest approach; I'll understand if there's a delay in responding.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.