DDAVIS
post Jun 9 2006, 05:44 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

[quote name='blobrana' date='May 28 2006, 06:51 PM' post='56073']
Hum,
looked real to me...

The image resembles clouds under similar lighting that I have seen before. The second image with the redder lighting betrays the nature of the changing light on the uneven contrail as sunset proceeds. There is a New Zealand video which began shorly after a massive airburst, showing as I recall a dense trail, a weak mushroom like cloud vortex rising from its lower end, below which falls vertically considerable debris. Theis tap contains the first known audio recording od a double boon from a fireball.

I took a picture that looks like a meteor blazing above the clouds, but it was an uneven contrail, and I removed in Photoshop a few shreds on one side just for laughs. it is at the top of this page:

http://www.donaldedavis.com/PARTS/ODDITIES.html

Don
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Myran_*
post Jun 10 2006, 06:42 AM
Post #32

Guests

Jyril wrote: It's badly incomplete. Many more. For example, all European, Russian, and South American craters are missing.

Yes and its so typical anything coming from USA i can only sigh in despair. mad.gif

The geology.com map lists 2 craters in Finland and one in Sweden but this one Mien in Sweden is not the most well known, at 9km its not the largest, or even the most recerntly discovered one. Here are 5 other ones.

Place Diameter Comment

Siljan 52 km Largest known. Obvious when seen from a hill or viewtower, best view in the northeast.
Dellen 19 km Not easy to see the crater shape from the ground, some advocate its one ancient caldera.
Lockne 7.5 km Good view and quite obvious crater from the western craterwall were road 45 runs.
Granby 3 km
Tvären 2 km

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jun 10 2006, 09:17 AM
Post #33

Guests

Hmmm that story about the impact in Norway has disappeared from spaceweather.com, I guess it was a hoax.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 10 2006, 11:39 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 523

The report is still there, but it's on the page entry for 9 June.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Myran_*
post Jun 10 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #35

Guests

Sunspot wrote: Hmmm that story about the impact in Norway has disappeared from spaceweather.com, I guess it was a hoax.

No hoax, you can see the graphs for the soundboom (top) and impact (bottom) on he graph of this page that happened 02.13.25 in the morning.

In addition the impact site have been found on a mountain wall in Reisadalen. The force of the impact was vastly exaggerated in the early reports, the meteorite was in fact a rather small one. But we're still somewhat uncertain if it did break up in midair, that cannot be ruled out yet.

Norwegian only page here.

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jun 10 2006, 12:12 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 430

There is already a thread devoted to the Norwegian meteorite here:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...indpost&p=57761

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
blobrana
post Jul 21 2006, 01:28 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 457

A BBC Horizon programme puts forward a very persuading case that the Kebir crater was not the origin of the desert glass, rather it was formed by an airburst of a much smaller 100 metre sized asteroid.

The airburst generated temperatures similar to the sun, and blew a huge plume of gas out into space. The glass wasn't from a crater or it's ejecta, if a crater is formed at all , but from the fireball that blasted huge areas of the surface.

Read more

@Bob Shaw
The program also touched upon the formation of Australites and Indochinites - no crater needed - just a loose rubble pile of an asteroid that air blasted south east Asia. The early humans and species like Gigantopithecus blackii would have been incinerated.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:46 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.