IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

36 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Images & Cameras, technical discussions of images, image processing and cameras
ugordan
post Aug 25 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

This is just for fun, I tried to implement an adaptive correction for the JPEGged (ugh!), raw Bayered images to get rid of artifacts in image areas that are smooth in appearance. The artifacts come from the JPEG algorithm trashing the Bayer pattern, introducing this kind of pattern:

Attached Image

After correcting for that, the smooth areas became more smooth as illustrated by this comparison, although obviously this approach can't ever come close to an image already returned from the spacecraft in de-Bayered, color form:

Attached Image

I had to make the algorithm adaptive in picking which DCT blocks it will apply this to, because if I apply that correction invariably across the image, some uniform-color areas which originally already looked good had these artifacts introduced afterwards...

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Aug 25 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 453

Here is a poor man's way of de-Bayering Mastcam images using the Gimp (or similar tools) for those wanting to experiment a little - obviously not intended for the experts here! I realize it is not as sophisticated as proper implementations, but in the absence of a Gimp plugin, this way has the advantage of simplicity at the expense of ending up with a half-resolution image. It does not for instance use just the green pixels for luminosity, and it performs the chroma filtering by the simple expedient of scaling the image down by a factor of 2 (thus merging each set of red, blue and two green pixels together).

1. Open the Mastcam Bayer pattern (1536x1152) image in the Gimp
  2. Change the mode to "RGB"
  3. Drag the attached Bayer pattern color map onto it (forming a new layer)
  4. Change the mode of that new layer to "multiply"
  5. Flatten image
  6. Scale image to 50% of original size
  7. Colors->Auto->Normalize (or use Levels or Curves tool) to brighten the image.

Airbag

Bayer pattern color map image:
Attached Image

Sample result:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 25 2012, 08:54 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 152

Here's the FFT of the jpeged Bayer patterns, upper two are a patch of smooth sky, and lower two a patch of ground:
Attached Image

In the ground image, you only see 2-pixel-scale (rough) periodicity, corresponding to the Bayer pattern, which shows up as broad peaks at the edges of the FFT. In the sky image, you also see peaks at the 2-pixel scale at the edges of the FFT, but sharp now since the sky is smooth. And you can also see FFT peaks halfway and quarter way to the edges, corresponding to 4- and 8-pixel periodicity. But of course there should be no 4 or 8 pixel periodicity in a smooth Bayer image! So clearly those peaks are the result of jpegging.

So I tried to filter out those peaks in the power spectrum. Here's the result on the same image as ugordan used:
Attached Image

Very similar result! The Fourier space filtering beautifully gets rid of the blotchy pattern on large smooth areas, but breaks down at the edges of those areas since the periodicity breaks down there. But there was no need to make the algorithm adaptive here - it works in one simple step.

Here's the horizon shot:
Attached Image

Again, a great job on the sky, but very little improvement on the not-so-periodic blotches over the mound.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Aug 25 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 542

I'm totally fascinated by the various approaches to de-Bayering being tried out and discussed here, and that's from somebody not normally interested in the details of image processing techniques. I've learned a lot from the many posts, especially ugordan's and now fredk's. I love Airbag's slicing of the gordian knot for a quick short cut. Who says airbags are no use on this mission?

+Quote Post
Art Martin
post Aug 26 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 2455

I hope this is the right section for this. I'm actually replying to a post in another thread but, since it's about image processing, thought it better to put it here.

Amazing comparing the Hirise anaglyph to what we actually see on the ground. One thing that seems to be obvious to me though is that there is a real exaggeration of relief in the Hirise 3D effect (mesa are taller, canyons are deeper) most likely created because the left and right images are taken a great deal farther apart than the human eyes. If I understand they are simply images taken at different points in the orbit and not by two cameras side by side as on the rovers. While that relief is stunning and produces this amazing view of surface from above, it is not really a true representation as to what a human observer would see from orbit. In these days of phenomenal image and video processing software, where a program can build intermediate frames of a video by analyzing the pixels of each surrounding frame, I wonder if someone hasn't devised a way of correcting the relief of a 3D anaglyph if one knows the actual separation of the two images. I can certainly picture the code process in my mind and it doesn't seem complicated if one works with image comparison coding. I'm a computer programmer but it's been years since I did anything where I was manipulating pixels and my relearning curve would be extensive or I'd tackle something myself.

Sure seems that anaglyphs have been around long enough that someone would have figured this out by now. Any thoughts?

QUOTE (walfy @ Aug 26 2012, 02:21 AM) *
I borrowed Fred's excellent rendition to compare with HiRISE anaglyph of the prime science region around the inverted riverbed. It's a very narrow angle of view. If I marked some features wrong, please let me know.

[attachment=27716:msl_science_target.jpg]

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 26 2012, 04:35 PM
Post #21

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I don't do anaglyphs so I can't get technical here, but basically the 3-D map created by a stereo pair can be displayed with any vertical exaggeration you like. Typically they are made with some exaggeration because most scenes are rather bland without it. For a given stereo pair there may be some default value that is normally used but it could be changed if desired.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Aug 26 2012, 05:09 PM
Post #22

QUOTE (Art Martin @ Aug 26 2012, 05:25 PM) *
I wonder if someone hasn't devised a way of correcting the relief of a 3D anaglyph

We've discussed this here a while ago, but rather than try to dig back for that here are a couple of salient points. Anaglyphs don't have a constant intrinsic exaggeration factor. The apparent relief you see depends on the size of the image and the distance you view it from. Adjust those and you could in theory view any anaglyph without line-of sight exaggeration. It's true that in many cases you'd have to enlarge the image enormously and sit very close to it!!

One solution I've suggested is the inclusion of a small virtual cube in the corner of each anaglyph to serve as a three dimensional scale bar, so if the cube looks too tall you know you're seeing the scene exaggerated by the same amount.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Aug 26 2012, 05:17 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 152

I think what Art's suggesting is adjusting the apparent relief while keeping viewing size/distance constant. I could imagine doing that, for example by morphing one frame part ways towards the other to reduce relief. But that would be hard and would involve some degree of faking for the intermediate viewpoints.

For now, ngunn's approach can at least help reduce exagerated relief.

+Quote Post
john_s
post Aug 26 2012, 05:55 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 117

QUOTE (ngunn @ Aug 26 2012, 11:09 AM) *
It's true that in many cases you'd have to enlarge the image enormously and sit very close to it!!

Actually, does enlarging the image have any effect on the apparent vertical exaggeration? I wouldn't expect so, because there should be no vertical exaggeration when the convergence angle of your eyes matches the convergence angle of the original image pair [convergence angle = angle between the two lines of sight in the stereo pair, measured at the surface location being viewed]. The convergence angle of your eyes depends on their distance from the image, but doesn't depend on the image magnification.

John

+Quote Post
Pando
post Aug 26 2012, 06:59 PM
Post #25

The Insider

Member No.: 73

Here's my attempt at creating a 3d anaglyph image of the distant hills...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Aug 26 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #26

QUOTE (john_s @ Aug 26 2012, 06:55 PM) *
Actually, does enlarging the image have any effect on the apparent vertical exaggeration? I wouldn't expect so

You are correct of course. It's the viewing distance alone that does it. I was confusing anaglyphs with cross-eyed pairs where the size does have an effect because it changes the angles too.

QUOTE (Pando @ Aug 26 2012, 07:59 PM) *
Here's my attempt at creating a 3d anaglyph image of the distant hills.

Excellent! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Art Martin
post Aug 26 2012, 08:09 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 2455

Yes, that's exactly what I was wondering about. It would very much involve faking one of the images based on an analysis of an anaglyph created with the wider separation of views and then rebuilding the anaglyph with one original and the "faked" image. I guess derived image would be a more PC term much like when smoothing a video shot at low FPS and having the computer generate the intermediate images for a standard video frame rate based on a best guess of how motion and scaling would occur in each frame. When I've created anaglyphs in the past, the two original images are lined up vertically first and then the images are aligned horizontally for the most comfortable view. This results in a blue and a red tinted image combining both of the originals. When you view it without the glasses you can see distinct blue and red tinted objects with close up ones having more horizontal distance between those objects and the far away ones having very little distance or they're essentially right on top of one another. When the left and right image are taken at let's say hundreds of miles apart those distances get very exaggerated when viewed by human eyes. What the program would do would be figure out how much offset each pixel on let's say the right image shifted to the side from it's corresponding pixel on the left image and bring it back closer together in the proportion between a standard eye viewing angle and the actual image angles. I'd think that would be fairly easy to do on a long distant aerial shot but very tough on something close up because objects could block other ones from left to right. So guess this is a challenge to the programmers that have written the wonderful anaglyph software out there that pretty much assumes the original shots are taken at standard eye distance. They're already really doing the processing when they build the final red/blue image. You'd just need one more parameter in there that was the distance between the original images. Instead of simply combining the shots together, the blue portion would be derived and then combined.

One advantage of having this feature would be that you could also intentionally exaggerate the relief by creating the derived image at a much wider distance than it was originally shot to more readily spot depressions and things jutting up.

QUOTE (fredk @ Aug 26 2012, 10:17 AM) *
I think what Art's suggesting is adjusting the apparent relief while keeping viewing size/distance constant. I could imagine doing that, for example by morphing one frame part ways towards the other to reduce relief. But that would be hard and would involve some degree of faking for the intermediate viewpoints.

For now, ngunn's approach can at least help reduce exagerated relief.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 26 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #28

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (ugordan @ Aug 25 2012, 04:29 AM) *
This is just for fun, I tried to implement an adaptive correction for the JPEGged (ugh!), raw Bayered images

Very ingenuitive thinking Gordan -- and it seems to have worked well.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Roby72
post Aug 27 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 89

A few remarks about the near focus of the mastcams:

The pictures of the sundial taken by the mastcam-100 are not in focus up to now.
I suspect that the near focus of this camera is a little bit beyond - for example the cable that running left of the dial is sharp:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...1000E1_DXXX.jpg

In contrast the m34 has taken sundial pictures that are in best focus:

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...0000E1_DXXX.jpg

Did anyone know the distance from the mastcams to the dial ?

Robert

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 27 2012, 08:55 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Roby72 @ Aug 27 2012, 01:22 PM) *
Did anyone know the distance from the mastcams to the dial ?

The Marsdial is roughly 7.6 cm square and one side is 296 pixels long in the 34mm image. The IFOV of the 34mm is about 218 microrads, so the distance is roughly 1.2 meters.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:03 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.