IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

40 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL "Drive, drive, drive" toward Glenelg, The scientists (mostly) get the keys - sols 38-56
DFinfrock
post Sep 14 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 503

QUOTE (MahFL @ Sep 14 2012, 08:38 PM) *
The main advantage is MSL won't have to stand down during the winter.

Another advantage... no real worry about tau. Although dust storms will still be a concern for some of the instruments; keeping lens covers in place for instance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 14 2012, 11:00 PM
Post #32

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 14 2012, 11:39 AM) *
I thought the main advantage for MSL over MER in terms of drive distance per sol was the height of the mast cameras (as akuo mentioned) and also the resolution of MC100. Both mean potential obstacles can be spotted farther away, and so longer non-blind drives can be planned. (Also there's power, which can negatively affect MER drives in times of very low solar array output).

Of course we'll just have to see what they can do with MSL.

NAVCAMs have a higher vantage point and wider baseline and they yield good range data to 30-40 meters. MASTCAMs are yet to be used for driving. They have a narrow field of view so we would need more frames to cover an area similar to PANCAMs. Moreover, the foreshortening would still limit our visibility of potential obstacles. I doubt we will be able to extend MSL blind driving much beyond what MER did. The real advantage on MSL is the more powerful processor that should speed up VO and AutoNav driving.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 14 2012, 11:03 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (DFinfrock @ Sep 14 2012, 02:12 PM) *
Another advantage... no real worry about tau. Although dust storms will still be a concern for some of the instruments; keeping lens covers in place for instance.

Both Winter and Tau will affect the heating requirements therefore reducing amount of science and drive/arm time.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Sep 14 2012, 11:43 PM
Post #34

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Sep 14 2012, 11:03 PM) *
Both Winter and Tau will affect the heating requirements therefore reducing amount of science and drive/arm time.

Paolo

Early on they did say MSL was little warmer than expected, which would mean slightly less power needed for heaters in the winter. The external actuators though would still need the normal amount of heating.

+Quote Post
EdTruthan
post Sep 15 2012, 12:22 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 6500

"On the Road Again" anaglyphs from Sol 38:

Attached Image

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 15 2012, 07:04 AM
Post #36

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (DFinfrock @ Sep 15 2012, 12:07 AM) *
Or perhaps when each thread is closed, an admin can change the title, with a prefix, such as "Sol 34 - Sol 58, Drive, Drive, Drive toward Glenelg".

That's nice but redundant because it is already included on each topic's description. Check the second (and smaller) line below each thread's title here.

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 15 2012, 12:25 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (MahFL @ Sep 15 2012, 01:43 AM) *
Early on they did say MSL was little warmer than expected, which would mean slightly less power needed for heaters in the winter. The external actuators though would still need the normal amount of heating.

I think it was because temperatures at Gale were slightly higher than expected..?

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Sep 15 2012, 01:22 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 98

Another drive on sol 39. Looks like we are approaching a little scenic overlook, maybe?
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 15 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (MahFL @ Sep 14 2012, 03:43 PM) *

Yes, Gale is a little warmer than we thought and we also have a bit more power than anticipated but that does not mean that for *driving* the Winter heating requirements are going to be more taxing. Currently we are not power limited but once the RTG starts to slow down, there will be differences between seasons. We'll see how much impact it will be.

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 16 2012, 12:13 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Sep 14 2012, 08:37 PM) *

I'm guessing the 200m per sol figure is hoped-for long drive capability based on experience with the MERs. From the below, it looks like the mission requirement was for 50m per sol.

"The following table summarizes some of the key resources affecting operations and the required capability for each."
[attachment=28100:Mission_...es_Table.jpg]
http://msl-scicorner.jpl.nasa.gov/scienceplanning/

You know what? In this week issue of Aviation Week they wrote 40km (25 miles) a day!
Ok that's a tipo...I wouldn't risk to put this remark in the "Bad reporting" topic! Well may be in "MSL Humor" one laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jam Butty
post Sep 16 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 6119

A couple of Navcam flicker gifs from Sol 38...

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 16 2012, 08:36 AM
Post #42

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Colour 2 frame mosaic close-up of part of the first of JB's gifs...

Attached Image

Such gorgeous detail and colour. Just wish I knew more geology...

--------------------

+Quote Post
paraisosdelsiste...
post Sep 16 2012, 09:23 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 6597

Wow, this layer looks amazing! I can't tell the origin of it, but it lacks (as far as I can see) internal sorting. It could be a lot of things: tuff, debris flow depopsit, a breccia... we need to have a closer (and compositional) look at it pancam.gif

QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 16 2012, 09:36 AM) *
Colour 2 frame mosaic close-up of part of the first of JB's gifs...

Attached Image

Such gorgeous detail and colour. Just wish I knew more geology...

+Quote Post
fredk
post Sep 16 2012, 02:37 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 152

After the sol40 drive, I think we've now got a pretty clear view onto Glenelg - here's a navcam anaglyph:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Sep 16 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 98

Sol 40.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:16 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.