IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

40 Pages V  « < 38 39 40  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL "Drive, drive, drive" toward Glenelg, The scientists (mostly) get the keys - sols 38-56
nogal
post Dec 9 2017, 06:37 PM
Post #586

Group: Members
Member No.: 4824

Is it ok to revive this thread? This seemed like the right one to place these images.
I was reviewing Curiosity's route map after applying the PDS Release 16 data and suddenly got this view from Yellowknife Bay. I don't know quite why but I had always thought of the place as horizontal, perhaps because it had been a lake bed, but it isn't (of course geological processes can and do tilt flat surfaces, I've seen many examples) unless Google has it wrong. Just take a look:
Attached Image
Attached Image

It really slopes down and probably is the lowest point in Curiosity's path
Attached Image
Attached Image

The resident image wizards can do orders of magnitude better, but this is what I could squeeze out of GE. Cheers,
Fernando
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Dec 9 2017, 06:52 PM
Post #587

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (nogal @ Dec 9 2017, 10:37 AM) *
It really slopes down and probably is the lowest point in Curiosity's path

It was. About 18.6 m below Bradbury Landing if I did the math correctly.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
nogal
post Dec 9 2017, 07:37 PM
Post #588

Group: Members
Member No.: 4824

Thank you Paolo!
I've made an elevation profile for the whole route and posted it in the Route Map thread.
Fernando

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 38 39 40
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:06 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.