IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
South to Vera Rubin Ridge, (Sites 62-63, Sols 1659-1726, Apr 6 2017-Jun 14 2017)
Phil Stooke
post Apr 7 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #1

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

OK, we have left the dunes, and it's time for a new chapter in our story as we head south to Vera Rubin (formerly known as Hematite) Ridge.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 7 2017, 08:19 PM
Post #2

OK, we are on the road, and here is a circular version of Jan's sol 1659 panorama to get us started.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Apr 8 2017, 09:39 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6853

Mission Update from Ryan Anderson: Sols 1661-1663: DAN has been busy
Our drive away from the “Ogunquit Beach” sand dune location went well, taking us about 35 meters to the southwest and putting us in a good location to continue measuring the composition of the bedrock as we drive up Mt. Sharp. The Sol 1661 plan starts out with a Mastcam mosaic of “Old Speck Mountain” and some Navcam cloud detection observations. ChemCam will then analyze the targets “Blueberry Mountain,” “Brewer Mountain,” and “Mud Hole” with Mastcam documentation images for each target. I also requested some long distance ChemCam images of a cliff face on Mt. Sharp. I wasn’t able to participate in planning today, so we will see if the instructions I left the uplink team were correct!

Once the remote sensing is done, MAHLI will take some pictures of the targets “Paradise Hill” and “Treasure Island”. APXS will then analyze both targets, with an overnight analysis of Treasure Island. On Sol 1662 we will drive again, followed by an autonomously targeted ChemCam observation, and on sol 1663 Curiosity will have a pretty easy day, with some Mastcam atmospheric dust measurements and a MARDI image of the ground beneath the rover.

Throughout this week, the environmental science group has been working to recover the activities that were lost last weekend because of the Deep Space Network outage, such as the morning imaging suite and 15-frame Navcam dust devil movie, while also continuing the normal cadence of monitoring activities. Earlier in the week, a special DAN active measurement was acquired over the sand of “Ogunquit Beach”. By turning the rover in place and backing up onto the dune, we placed the field of view of DAN's active neutron experiment, which is centered between the rear two wheels, right on the dune sand. DAN active experiments are performed after each rover position change (usually immediately after a drive), but in this case, the measurement was taken just before the rover departed Ogunquit Beach. In a DAN active measurement, neutrons are fired in all directions by the Pulse Neutron Generator, and some neutrons scattered by the soil under the rover return to the DAN detectors. This measurement will allow DAN to compare the amount of hydrogen measured at Namib Dune around sol 1243 to the conditions at Ogunquit Beach.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Apr 10 2017, 10:39 AM
Post #4

Not much here really (1662 L-NavCam partial) but it's all there is until more frames come down... Midnight Planets reports it as: Curiosity moved approximately 24.1m SSW (-158º) on Sol 1662

Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 10 2017, 07:23 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 152

DD activity has been quiet recently, but here's a large (or close) DD on 1660:
Attached Image

It moved right to left (note the negative image). I think it's behind the distant knob, which would make it very big.

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Apr 10 2017, 08:40 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 353

The Navcam L view on Sol 1662.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 10 2017, 09:15 PM
Post #7

Thanks, Jan. Here is a circular version. We are creeping through the gap between the dunes.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Apr 11 2017, 05:12 AM
Post #8

Curiosity Rover Mission Update: Sols 1664-1665: Keep on driving
MSL drove about 24 meters on Sol 1662, and another drive is planned for Sol 1664. Before the drive, lots of targeted remote sensing is planned: ChemCam and Right Mastcam will observe a bright rock named "Peaks Island," an exposure of bedding dubbed "Great Wass Island," a sand ripple called "Baldpate Mountain," and an interesting rock that was selected by AEGIS after the Sol 1662 drive, now named "Chebeague Island." Mastcam will also acquire a stereo mosaic of outcrops toward the south, in the direction of the planned drive.

Planning is restricted this week, so two sols were planned today. Untargeted remote sensing planned for Sol 1665 includes passive (no laser) ChemCam sky observations and two ground LIBS targets selected using the AEGIS software. Navcam will then search for dust devils and clouds before the rover rests in preparation for Wednesday's plan.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Apr 12 2017, 03:02 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 196

ICe stitch of the sol1661 chemcam. i think that section with the gouge has been chemcammed a month or three ago..?
Attached Image

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Apr 12 2017, 03:51 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (atomoid @ Apr 12 2017, 11:02 AM) *
ICe stitch of the sol1661 chemcam.

I found the pointing for the RMI's (169.48° to 171.78°), but would like to calculate the approximate height of the cliff face and or the width of the terrain covered by the mosaic. Google Earth (Pro) does not have high res map coverage in that section of the mountain, or I could have used their measuring tool for a rough guide based on the bearing. At that long range AlgorimancerPG would likely be of little use, even if I had the stereo pair to go with the frame below?

Does anyone have an idea of the distance to the target? Or has someone already worked out the scale for this mosaic? TIA smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 12 2017, 04:34 AM
Post #11

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I don't have time to do this myself, but: take the CTX mosaic of the Curiosity landing site, crop it so that Curiosity's current position is at the center, use Photoshop polar > rectangular filter to "unwrap" the horizon, stretch or shrink it vertically as needed to make the horizon legible, and compare it to a Navcam panorama to locate the peaks. (If you don't use PShop I'd be shocked if GIMP didn't have a similar filter.)

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Apr 12 2017, 05:39 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 12 2017, 12:34 PM) *
....CTX mosaic of the Curiosity landing site...

Thanks Emily, I look at that process....
Meanwhile Curi has driven as planned, no distance data yet but we have a few end of drive NavCam frames, I will stitch what I can soon.

Here is a RMI mosaic acquired before the drive to Site 62/0690 of what I believe to be The 'Exposure of Bedding dubbed 'Great Wass Island' mentioned in the recent USGS update. The pointing is currently shown as above the horizon so I cant accurately locate on the NavCams, nor scale it at the moment, but likely close to the rover.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 12 2017, 01:08 PM
Post #13

If there was any move at all it can only have been a few metres. Maybe stopped prematurely.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Apr 12 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 12 2017, 09:08 PM) *
Maybe stopped prematurely.

Agreed, very short indeed, more of a bump... Here is the R-NavCam mosaic in MS ICE using 17 frames, quick and dirty as usual for ICE... Link for full resolution version hosted on IMGUR that may suffice until Jan can work his magic...

Much reduced version below, use the link above for the full resolution version

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Apr 12 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 353

The Navcam L view on Sol 1664.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:31 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.