Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Closest and furthest pairs of unmanned space craft
tasp
post Dec 20 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 162

Ok, obviously, furthest separation of spacecraft would be Pioneer 10 and depending on when we check, Pioneer 11, and later Voyager 1 and/or Voyager 2.

But what is the closest 2 craft have come on seperate missions ??

Were there any close approaches of Magellan to any Soviet orbiters at Venus ??

Has there any been a Soviet Lander on Mars close to either Viking ?? Any chance of the Halley armada vehicles being particularly close to each other during their missions ??

I would mostly be interested in active mission encountering each other, but a live mission 'checking out' a prior 'dead' one closely (Apollo 12 and Surveyor 3 type encounter for example, but keep in mind Apollo 12 was manned and not applicable here) would be interesting too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 20 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

MGS vs MODY and MEX
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2005/05/19/

MGS to MODY was 90km (but I'm sure closer passes occur) - and MGS to MEX was 250

Oh BOY would I love to see HiRISE pull that off.

Doug

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Dec 20 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

After the Lunar Surveyors (1 & 3) and Soviet Luna (16 & 20?), I'd say Viking 1 and 2. Of course if you are talking about any two craft as opposed to matched pairs, then on Mars it would be Viking 1 and Pathfinder

(Assuming we exclude possible classified ASAT touch and go encounters in Earth orbit.)

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 20 2007, 06:58 PM
Post #4

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Blue-sky and possibly OT thought here, but might there be an advantage to landing future rovers in close pairs for teamed exploration? If we have very long-lived vehicles in 20 years or more, it might be good if they each had a wingman to compensate for platform instrument failures (to say nothing of being able to help each other out...if Oppy had had a partner with a boom & a winch back at Purgatory, she'd've been free much more quickly).

Again, totally blue-sky, and of course expensive. But, if we reach the point technologically that we can confidently expect 10 or 20-year UMSF mobile surface survey missions on Mars, Titan, Triton, Europa, etc. (and in practice get 30 yrs. plus), having a buddy would be a big help, providing an excellent return on investment in terms of both science return and overall mission risk reduction. Historically, this strategy has worked extremely well for human exploration, and of course it's a fundamental tenet of military operations which are conducted in often unfamiliar, always potentially hostile environments.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
hendric
post Dec 21 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #5

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Not likely, I think. Would you prefer to have both Spirit and Opportunity at Gusev, for example? More locations would always trump having a wingman.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 28 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #6

Merciless Robot

Wouldn't have been appropriate for the MERs with just 90-day nominal missions. Thinking of 20+ year surface surveys, which definitely are beginning to look achievable in the near future. For example, if we were to fly rovers to Titan in 2030, I'd put a pair in one place & a pair in another (deep, deep pockets and/or very inexpensive yet reliable designs assumed, of course...)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Dec 28 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 28 2007, 01:13 PM) *
I'd put a pair in one place & a pair in another...

I think most would agree that it would still be better to put them in four different
places. I don't see how the advantage to sending a rover as a buddy to another
rover could possibly outweigh the advantage to having a look at an entirely different
location. Even with a different science payload on each of two rovers, the use of two
sets of roving hardware (wheels, chassis, etc.) sent to one location would be an
extravagant waste of payload budget.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 29 2007, 02:58 AM
Post #8

Merciless Robot

Yeah, I think you're right. My thought was to provide some means of prolonging the overall mission at a given locale, but after further reflection how necessary is that really? 20 years is ideal for a comsat, but not for a planetary rover with limited range; there's only so much terrain that can be accessed properly.

Stay tuned for my next brilliant invention, the glass drum! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Dec 29 2007, 09:58 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 174

There are 2 reasons to sent a new mission to an old locale...sample return of "we gotta get THESE in the lab" ground-truthed samples, or to revisit a maximally important and partially well understood site with an entirely new set of instruments.

In Meridiani, there's lots better places to go to get access to eroded stacks of geology than the safe and surprisingly undull (except when stuck in sand traps) plains.

But at Gusev, the Columbia hills are *INTERESTING*. I doubt they're as interesting as places like the proposed MSL sites, but they're far more interesting than another randomly chosen (and they WERE randomly chosen, not part of the Spirit landing target lacustrine sediments at all). This is because we've now spent years picking apart their geology, have made partial sense of what the stratigraphy and history are, and so on. We'd be able to tell a sample return mission "goTHERE, and There, and there and tHeRe" to get samples for return.... or with new instruments we'd be able to really rip into the hills. These are probably to a significant extent, a sample of the ancient, 4+ billion year old geologic history of the planet, and the samples are diverse, variably altered, and have younger history in terms of sediments and salts sitting on them.

I'm not saying we SHOULD, but the MSL or ExoMars sites, assuming both succeede, will be inevitable candidates for sample return (with or without caching), and might end up being visited "in person".

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 29 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #10

Guests

During the Millennium flyby of Jupiter, Galileo (launched onboard the Space Shuttle in October 1989) and Cassini-Huygens (launched in October 1997) simultaneously explored the planet Jupiter.
I also believe that the Venera landers came quiet close to each other on the surface of Venus (but I'll check this) wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 29 2007, 11:02 AM
Post #11

Guests

Listed my Venera landers 'claim' in a separate topic in the VENUS sub-forum: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=4868

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:22 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.