IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Text Adverts, UMSF members opinion required
UMSF revenue by Text Adverts
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 50
Guests cannot vote 
djellison
post Dec 31 2006, 11:02 AM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

We've been approached by an online advertising firm who offered what I think is a good fixed monthly sum to put some text ads at the bottom of every page. They will generate, at the current rate, slightly more than the 'measurable' UMSF running costs (hosting, forum lic), and with the need to upgrade the hosting package never far away, this is about the right sort of level I was hoping to generate.

As many of you will know, I have always been reluctant to do the 'cap-in-hand' routine and would rather UMSF paid for itself than surviving on a combination of my wallet and member generosity.

These new ads are now to be found at the bottom of UMSF - and I would like members to cast their opinion. They'll be here for one month - and depending on the outcome of this vote, they will remain or be removed at the end of that period. Give yourself a day or two to see them (they're dynamic) before making a call.

If you want to pass a more detailed response, drop me a private message or an email or chuck a message into this thread.

Cheers

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Dec 31 2006, 01:24 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 239

Doug:

They're invisible and thus utterly harmless.

Go for it!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Dec 31 2006, 02:09 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

They are so subtle/"invisible" that I was only aware about their existance because of this new thread/pool.

Keep them.

+Quote Post
MarkL
post Dec 31 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 981

I voted yes as I think they are fine. And the concept of making this useful site self-supporting is great.

People likely wouldn't come to the site as often though if the ads became a lot more prominent. Its a delicate balance when running a non-commercial site.

+Quote Post
brianc
post Dec 31 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 312

Sounds like a good revenue stream to me Doug, can't see any negatives

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Dec 31 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 15

As long as they remain these tiny little links that you can barely notice, I'm all for it, Doug. Check the fine print of any agreeement you sign, though -- this is one site that doesn't flood me with pop-ups (that my browser has to spend time & resources to suppress), or throw flashing multi-color ads at me, or load tracking cookies. As long as your agreement doesn't give them the right to do any of these things in the future, I'm just fine with it.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 31 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #7

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I think it's fine, Doug, and congratulations; this should be a big help for you and a very good thing for the forum. Just don't go all 'Hollywood' on us, now! biggrin.gif

Two suggestions/observations:

1. I'm running IE 7.0 now (& I think Java 1.5.2), and the links on first rollover displayed the JavaScript error icon (exclamation point within a yellow triangle) in front of the URL display in the lower-left corner of the IE window. The links still worked just fine, though, and the icons disappeared after the first click on the ad link...weird.

2. Again this might be solely an IE 7 issue, but the links did not open a new window or add a new tab; instead, they wiped out UMSF, and I had to use the back button to navigate back. Suggest configuring them to open independent windows and/or new tabs.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 31 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #8

Founder

I'll fwd those comments onto the ad company ( it's their PHP code that does the ads )

Cheers

Doug

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 31 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #9

Merciless Robot

Sure, man. smile.gif BTW, like the new spacecraft logo in the banner...looks a lot like NH circa 2016 or so...

Also, quick correction: I'm running Java 1.5.0_09 (took me awhile to find it in IE 7).

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 31 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #10

Founder

QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 31 2006, 09:27 PM) *
like the new spacecraft logo in the banner

Needs a slight tweak, but it's almost there.

Doug

+Quote Post
ddeerrff
post Dec 31 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 251

Completely unobtrusive. Keep them.

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jan 1 2007, 12:36 AM
Post #12

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

Doug - they are completely unobtrusive as far as I can make out. I was unable to replicate nprev's error with IE7 and I can't see any reason why they would trigger a Java error but for completeness I'm also running with Java 1.5.0_09. The ads are literally a simple list of href's right before the closing body tag on the page so they really should not cause any compatibility issues for any browsers - they are exactly like any other link.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 1 2007, 02:21 AM
Post #13

Merciless Robot

Yeah, for some reason I'm not getting the Java error anymore either...strange. I did dump my cache; perhaps that made the difference? huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tasp
post Jan 1 2007, 02:08 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 162

If not for this thread, I would never have noticed the ads.

So having them doesn't seem to be a problem.

however . . .

I don't mind the current dog kennel, cell phone and MPAA ads, but in the future, if I should note ads for International Star Registry, or the Enterprise Mission, or the Institute for Creation Research, or various and sundry male 'enhancement' products, I might just have a wee bit of a hissy fit.

huh.gif

+Quote Post
tasp
post Jan 1 2007, 02:10 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 162

In any regard,

keep the Borat one!

blink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:31 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.