Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2004 03 09, March 9th, 2004
OWW
post Sep 30 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99

Good morning, I’m Joel Krajewski, Flight Director for Spirit. I’ll be giving your update for today.

On Spirit it is sol 65 and today is a good day on Spirit. We are almost aligned with our clocks between the clock on Spirit and the clock on Earth in Pacific Standard Time and so right now it is 11:35 Pacific Standard and about 11:25 on Spirit in the morning.
Our goal is to drive to the edge of the crater. Yesterday we got about 23 meters towards the edge and our Autonavigation software stopped a little bit early because it found itself it didn’t like. And it left the rover tipped up about 15 degrees towards the southwest. So we stopped there and today we’ll be continuing along on that drive through the terrain you see over my lefthand shoulder here. Kind of rough terrain, but we’ll be trying for a 30 to 35 meter drive and if we’re lucky by the end of today we may be able to see just a little bit over the edge of the crater, maybe to the other side.

On Opportunity, we succeeded this morning in achieving the grind on ‘Flatrock’. If you recall yesterday we had a very early stall on the RAT. We had another stall today, but after an hour worth of grind, which is pretty good. It seems to have stalled on one of the little Marsberries buried in the rock. We got enough of a depth on it to put an instrument on it, so we have the Mossbauer instrument placed down on it. It is the middle of the night right now on Opportunity, but that instrument is still integrating so we’ll be taking science data all night long. And we’ll find out tomorrow morning a little bit more about what that rock is made out of. And over my shoulder to the right you see a picture of the hole that we ground into the rock called ‘Flatrock’ on Opportunity.

All systems are healthy there also, so we’re good to go. That’s it for today, we’ll look forward to seeing you tomorrow.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:11 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.