Reply to this topicStart new topic
HiRISE DEM's
john_s
post May 19 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 117

These are great- nice job Doug!

I'm still looking forward to seeing more near-surface images or animations from HIRISE DEMs of other places that we haven't sent rovers to- these could be even more interesting than views of the familiar Spirit and Opportunity landscapes.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 19 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #17

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Well - there are four done for various Phoenix sites, but, how can I be nice about this....

They're dull. Very very dull.

I think many of the MSL candidates will get a DEM treatment, hopefully those will make it out the door as well.

Doug

+Quote Post
climber
post May 19 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 682

Your work put everything in a new perspective and that's what exploration is all about
Hat off
Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post May 19 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 150

Congrats, Doug!
Unfortunately, the movie is almost invisible on my PC (it starts very slowly, then stops download after few frames...). Moreover, I do not find the old Emily's blog movies! mad.gif
Some help???

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
ngunn
post May 19 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 542

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing these on TPS - why did I forget to say so right away? - Vertical scale looks realistic too, though Victoria's cliffs seem a bit rounded off.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 19 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #21

Founder

The cliffs are a bit rounded off, just a symptom of the resolution (1m per 'pixel' for elevation) really.

And, to the very best of my abilities, they are accurate for elevation, as close as I could possibly make it. The clincher is that rendering the Columbia one from the landing site - it's a perfect replica of the success pan images of the hills.

The proper movies are here - http://planetary.org/blog/article/00001423/ - although I intend to update the Columbia one later today - links later smile.gif Randy Kirk got some nice emails about them, which is good because it's his hard work that made the data, and his kindness that put it 'out there' for nutters like me to play with.

Doug
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post May 19 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1638

QUOTE (djellison @ May 19 2008, 05:12 PM) *

Ah, I knew that was one of yours, yet when I checked APOD this morning (10:00), your name wasn't in the credit line (which I thought was a bit out of order).

Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 19 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #23

Founder

I didn't know it had been posted on there. I got an email from Randy who had got emails from people saying how cool it was. He told me, and then told Bob to edit the descriptor. Then we realised is talked about MSSS / MOC / MGS, and tweaked that as well. Then I realised Bob had linked to my highly unfinished and quite broken soon-to-be-blog. smile.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 19 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #24

Founder

Finished thing is now here : http://www.dougellison.com/?p=5

Enjoy smile.gif

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 19 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #25

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Not found sad.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 19 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #26

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Yeah, went hunting myself...no joy. sad.gif

Did enjoy the "sermon" post, though... tongue.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dilo
post May 20 2008, 06:36 AM
Post #27

QUOTE (djellison @ May 19 2008, 08:37 PM) *
The proper movies are here - http://planetary.org/blog/article/00001423/

Now I can see them and are superb! Thanks.
What do you think about adding a local high-res texture based on last panoramas, all around the MERs? I think this would add dramatic realism, reducing also the innatural contrast between rovers and smoothed DEM terrain...

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 20 2008, 06:58 AM
Post #28

Founder

QUOTE (dilo @ May 20 2008, 07:36 AM) *
I think this would add dramatic realism

Two problems with that. If I had, say, 1cm/pixel imagery around the rover - then my image map would have to be 1cm per pixel. There isn't an easy way to accurately place a second texture on top of the MRO one without actually making the whole thing 1cm pixel. That would mean a texture 800,000 pixels across. No cigar. I went down that road with CTX - on - HRSC DEM's. It was a bloody nightmare, and the results didn't pay off.

The other problem is that at the moment, it all sits together quite nicely. Panoramas don't make good maps very easily.Only a few M from the rover, it's warped and distorted beyond the point of usefullness. ( for eg - http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/mer2-...8l000m2.img.jpg ) and for the brief moment we are close to the rover, it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Adding terrain meshes to the Victoria crater one is something I've already had a look at ( I thought the capes might benefit ) but given up on. The meshes themselves just don't stand up to the level of quality to make it worth while.

Always helps to actually publish the damn thing smile.gif http://www.dougellison.com/?p=5 is now working. That, for now, is my last treatment of the Columbia one. What I'd REALLY REALLY love to be able to do, is some sort of realtime thing where you can drive around it on a quad bike. I'm sure Half Life 2 could manage it, but I just don't know how to put a million polygons into a game like that smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
climber
post May 20 2008, 07:31 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (dilo @ May 19 2008, 09:38 PM) *
Unfortunately, the movie is almost invisible on my PC (it starts very slowly, then stops download after few frames...)

When I've opened up the "view new posts" I've seen your message here above (I know that you're ok by now) and then this one from Doug from the "Lidar" topic
"Upgrade the DSN to the proposed 400 x 12m dish arrays, and put a 6m dish on the spacecraft - then you can do 320 Mbps from Mars to Earth"
When you put them together aside, it's kind of, what, injustice? Frustating? blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post May 21 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #30

Doug, I perfectly understand the issue you described, I had same problem when I tried to realize a "power of 10"-like movie initially showing all the red planed and then zooming on one rover (Emily suggested such idea long time ago, do you remember?).
Now I solved the issue by making a dedicated POV-RAY script who shades between various textures with different scales, anyway I abandoned the mars-zoom idea due to absence of time (for the moment!). Anyway, this idea is working well only if you strongly zoom on a planar surface, so is not applicable to your 3D DEM... I think the best way to avoid use of mega-textures is to overlap a local, texturized "mini_DEM" surface on the big one, eventually using 3D terrain model computed from MER stereo cam (someting like this was available on venerable "Maestro" JPL software... now I do not know where to find it). In the outer parts, such mini-DEM should appear progressively shaded in order to have a smooth transition effect. I know is not simple, it is only a suggestion for possible, future works...
About your last treatment of the Columbia movie, I like it very much. My only observation is about the colors: personally, I would like more saturation, with different hue between red terrain and a yellow artificial sky... rolleyes.gif What do you think about?

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:01 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.