Reply to this topicStart new topic
Nh - The Launch Thread, Godspeed little one
Jeff7
post Jan 20 2006, 05:33 AM
Post #481

Group: Members
Member No.: 180

Video of the launch.
It uses the XviD codec with LAME MP3 audio.

This particular file is under 4MB, and measures 310x214 pixels. 40seconds long. I have no idea what the strain might be on my server, hence my caution before posting a bigger file. smile.gif

I do have the full launch sequence as broadcast by CNN, in higher resolution XviD, clocking in at nearly 4.5minutes and 80MB. If anyone wants to stick it on Bit-torrent, e-mail me or send me a message with the forum's messaging system, and I can get the file to you. I'm behind a University firewall, and I'd rather not try to do anything that'd get me kicked off of it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jan 20 2006, 06:12 AM
Post #482

Member No.: 124

For some reason, the video of the launch was the "Moment of Zen" on the Daily Show tonight.... unsure.gif

Alan can rest assured that whatever contributions to science this mission makes, his spacecraft was featured on one of the hottest shows in the 18-25 demographic.

Come to think of it, they did a bit about the MERs lasting a Martian year, a little while back. Something about how we shouldn't have sent two of them, since now they are breeding a robot super race on Mars!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Jeff7
post Jan 20 2006, 06:25 AM
Post #483

Member No.: 180

Which video? Mine? I just tried mine...all I get is Liftoff of NASA's New Horizon Spacecraft....

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jan 20 2006, 06:42 AM
Post #484

Member No.: 124

Sorry, I meant that the NASA TV feed (I think) was shown as the Moment of Zen...

Though I downloaded your avi file and that Atlas sure goes up fast!

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 20 2006, 08:41 AM
Post #485

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (paulanderson @ Jan 20 2006, 02:51 AM)
I'm just curious how many UMSF people here are also members of The Planetary Society, besides myself and, obviously, Emily?

Me - and I think Nix is as well smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
mchan
post Jan 20 2006, 09:23 AM
Post #486

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (paulanderson @ Jan 19 2006, 06:51 PM)
I'm just curious how many UMSF people here are also members of The Planetary Society

I was a member at its inception (#1817) but dropped off in '94 while going thru some unrelated issues. Their work has been and continues to be very good for promoting interest in space exploration. The "Planetfest" conventions during the Voyager flybys were some of most educational and enjoyable events I attended in the '80's.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Jan 20 2006, 11:45 AM
Post #487

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

I have just recently joined The Planetary Society.

+Quote Post
odave
post Jan 20 2006, 12:34 PM
Post #488

Member No.: 209

I'm a lapsed member from the 90's. I was also a member of the National Space Society back then, and they tended to send out snail-mail donation requests way too often. It seemed like I was getting an "urgent message from Buzz Aldrin" in the mail every other week. The nagging really turned me off to the NSS, and I'm afraid that my membership to TPS, which didn't spam nearly as much, suffered collateral damage.

I am thinking about re-upping, though, thanks to all the great work Emily and her cohorts are doing online. They will be right behind UMSF when the donation budget comes 'round again!

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 20 2006, 12:46 PM
Post #489

Member No.: 430

Is a transcript of Alan Stern's press conference from yesterday available online somewhere? Thank you.

Speaking of Pluto and Plutonium, check out this photograph:

http://imglib.lbl.gov/cgi-bin/ImgLib/credi.../.tags/96B05586

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jan 20 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #490

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jan 20 2006, 01:46 PM)
Is a transcript of Alan Stern's press conference from yesterday available online somewhere?  Thank you.

Emily has put up a transcript on the Planetary Society Blog.

NH Post Launch Press conference

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 20 2006, 01:42 PM
Post #491

Member No.: 430

QUOTE (helvick @ Jan 20 2006, 08:12 AM)
Emily has put up a transcript on the Planetary Society Blog.

NH Post Launch Press conference

Thank you, Emily, for doing this, and thank you, Helvick, for the pointer.

One comment from the press conference, quoting Alan Stern here:

"It will be the 50th anniversary to the day of the Mariner 4 flyby of Mars, the flyby that opened the reconnaissance of planets beyond Earth."

Technically, one should say that it was Mariner 2's successful flyby of Venus in December of 1962 that truly began "the reconnaisance of planets beyond Earth."

I presume just because Mariner 2 did not take any photographs of the planet does not preclude its achievements? Mariner 5 also did not image Venus in 1967, but it helped to confirm Mariner 2's findings of Venus' incredibly hot surface.

Of course there were successful lunar and interplanetary probes before the Mariners (Pioneer 5 in 1960) and one should remember the probes such as the Soviets' Venera 1, which flew by Venus in 1961 but lost contact with Earth before reaching that world. But Mariner 2 should really get the first credit.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/dsh/artifa...SS-mariner2.htm

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 20 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #492

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jan 20 2006, 06:42 AM)

"It will be the 50th anniversary to the day of the Mariner 4 flyby of Mars, the flyby that opened the reconnaissance of planets beyond Earth."

Technically, one should say that it was Mariner 2's successful flyby of Venus in December of 1962 that truly began "the reconnaisance of planets beyond Earth."

I presume just because Mariner 2 did not take any photographs of the planet does not preclude its achievements?  Mariner 5 also did not image Venus in 1967, but it helped to confirm Mariner 2's findings of Venus' incredibly hot surface.

Of course there were successful lunar and interplanetary probes before the Mariners (Pioneer 5 in 1960) and one should remember the probes such as the Soviets' Venera 1, which flew by Venus in 1961 but lost contact with Earth before reaching that world.  But Mariner 2 should really get the first credit.

I'm guessing that what Alan meant was that Mariner 4 opened up the close-up photographic reconnaissance of the Solar System, which of course is all the press really cares about; Mariner 2 was particles-and-fields only, plus a radio occultation experiment if I'm not mistaken.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 20 2006, 02:46 PM
Post #493

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 20 2006, 01:41 AM)
Me - and I think Nix is as well smile.gif

Doug

Me too...since 1997! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Jan 20 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #494

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jan 20 2006, 01:42 PM)

I presume just because Mariner 2 did not take any photographs of the planet does not preclude its achievements?  Mariner 5 also did not image Venus in 1967, but it helped to confirm Mariner 2's findings of Venus' incredibly hot surface.

Of course there were successful lunar and interplanetary probes before the Mariners (Pioneer 5 in 1960) and one should remember the probes such as the Soviets' Venera 1, which flew by Venus in 1961 but lost contact with Earth before reaching that world.  But Mariner 2 should really get the first credit.

I was very careful to choose my words to say "beyond" Earth mening outward from
the Sun. Unfortunately, I see now that even that description was a little ambiguous.

+Quote Post
ynyralmaen
post Jan 20 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #495

Member No.: 438

QUOTE (nprev @ Jan 20 2006, 04:46 PM)
Me too...since 1997! smile.gif

And me... since 1989! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

39 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:12 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.