Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cassini ISS spots flooded playa on Titan, Paper in Press
volcanopele
post Dec 12 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Our paper on Titan's lakes is finally in press:

Turtle, E. P., J. E. Perry, A. S. McEwen, A. D. DelGenio, J. Barbara, R. A. West, D. D. Dawson, and C. C. Porco (2008),
Cassini Imaging of Titan's High-Latitude Lakes, Clouds, and South-Polar Surface Changes,
Geophys. Res. Lett., doi:10.1029/2008GL036186, in press.

The paper describes Cassini ISS observations acquired of Titan's high-latitude regions. The size and distribution of dark features observed in these regions were measured and these features were compared with RADAR observations of these regions. In the north polar region, nearly all of the dark features observed by ISS corresponded to a "lake" observed by RADAR. In the south, only a few lakes were seen by RADAR, far fewer than the dark spots observed by ISS, suggesting either that the lakes are thinner in the south, or that in the 3-year span between the ISS and RADAR observations, many of the lakes dried up.

ISS also observed a temporal change in the south polar region. A dark region was found near 80 South, 120 West in observations acquired in June 2005, but was not seen 11 months earlier (during the post-SOI T0 non-targeted encounter). In the paper, we suggest that the region was coated in a dark albedo material, likely liquid methane/ethane, during a rainstorm in early October 2004. This extensive storm system was observed by ground-based observers and ISS. Coincidentally, RADAR will be observing this feature next week during the T49 flyby. Given the evaporation rate expected on Titan, RADAR is unlikely to find a lake still at this location, but information on the geologic setting of the flooding event will be useful. I would expect playa fed by a system of washes.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Dec 12 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

That's wonderful. Thanks for the summary and great news about the upcoming RADAR coverage. I'll be trotting off to my local university library for a look at that paper for sure.

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Dec 12 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1563

Very cool! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Dec 12 2008, 09:14 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1345

Congrats!

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Jason W Barnes
post Dec 12 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1086

Paper is posted on GRL website at: http://www.agu.org/journals/pip/gl/2008GL036186-pip.pdf

- VIMS Jason

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Dec 15 2008, 09:50 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 542

Well, I tried. At Bangor University: 'subscription expired', "try the public library". No joy there either. If no-one here can help I suppose I'll have to drive to Liverpool.

+Quote Post
Jason W Barnes
post Dec 16 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1086

ISS Jason is a coauthor -- maybe he could post a copy on his website? I think that's consistent with the usual copyright regulations.

- Jason

+Quote Post
tty
post Dec 16 2008, 08:47 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 273

That depends on the journal. However Jason could definitely email single copies to people who ask for them.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Dec 16 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 23

I would have no problem emailing people the article. Just send me a pm.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:05 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.