29 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Zhurong Lander/Rover, Surface Operations at Utopia Planitia
Explorer1
post May 15 2021, 01:10 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

Apparently: 109.7 E, 25.1 N; (top middle of this map: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amenthes_quad...Region-mola.png )

A bit North of the crater called Bluff....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post May 15 2021, 01:56 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 4270

From here.
On CCTV it was reported that "first opportunity to downlink photos will be around midday-afternoon BJT", i.e. within next few hours. The relay orbiter is currently on the opposite side of Mars.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post May 15 2021, 01:57 AM
Post #33

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Attached Image

CTX image of the landing site. scale is 5.7 m/pixel. The large crater at bottom is 1.8 km across.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Guest_Steve5304_*
post May 15 2021, 02:30 AM
Post #34

Guests

WoW!!

Congrats to the Peoples Republic of China

What an amazing achievement for such a new space program!

I hope we start getting Chinese posters!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 15 2021, 07:32 AM
Post #35

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

The coordinates have been moved a bit, to 25.1 N, 109.9 E. That moves it out of the CTX image volcanopele posted and puts it about here:
Attached Image

The hills seen in the first orbital image are at lower right.
Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
kenny
post May 15 2021, 07:58 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 759

Chinese news media are reporting "nine minutes of terror" during the landing, so two more than the usual American seven minutes!

The official landing time from CGTN was 23:18 UTC (GMT) so 7 minutes later than was being predicted by Chinese sources before the descent.

The whole craft (both orbiter and lander) started descending from orbit at about 17:00 UTC and entered the long descent trajectory. The landing module, consisting of the lander and the rover, separated from the orbiter after 3 hours at about 20:00 UTC according to the CNSA. Then, 30 minutes later, so about 20:30 UTC, the orbiter fired its engine to leave the decent trajectory (which it was also now on, temporarily, to drop off the lander) and returned to a safe orbit. After being dropped off the lander had a 3-hour voyage to entry interface. These announced times seem to be approximate.

I believe this is a new technique for Martian atmospheric entry, but was previously used by Galileo at Jupiter and Cassini at Titan.

+Quote Post
kenny
post May 15 2021, 04:42 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 759

Xinhua News Agency has reported more details of the landing. No pictures as yet.

It took ground controllers more than an hour to establish the success of the pre-programmed landing. They had to wait for the rover to autonomously unfold its solar panels and antenna to send the signals after landing, and there was a time delay of more than 17 minutes due to the 320-million-km distance between Earth and Mars.

"The Mars landing of the Tianwen-1 mission has been a total success," Zhang Kejian, head of the CNSA, announced at the Beijing Aerospace Control Center.

It will take a further 7 to 8 days for the rover to detect the surrounding environment and conduct self checks before moving down from the lander to the Martian surface.

Xinhua post-landing update

+Quote Post
ollopa
post May 15 2021, 07:49 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 113

QUOTE (kenny @ May 15 2021, 06:42 PM) *
Xinhua News Agency has reported more details of the landing. No pictures as yet.

It took ground controllers more than an hour to establish the success of the pre-programmed landing.

Xinhua post-landing update

Is there someone with some insight into the likely comms opportunities? For instance, I have seen speculation that on May 17 Zhurong will communicate with Tianwen-1 via ESA MarsExpress. I would have assumed that Tianwen-1 is over the horizon *much* longer than lower-orbit assets. Am I missing something? Is someone running the numbers?

+Quote Post
Huguet
post May 15 2021, 08:29 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 8523

https://mobile.twitter.com/df2mz/status/1393617519257268225

"This screen shot from CCTV seems to show that the Zhurong rover already communicated with Earth, opened its solar panels and downloaded some data." Edgar Kaiser

"rover landed still; started to communicate with earth; communication finished; rover unlocked/lifted up; solar wings opened; obiter adjusted position . Data downloaded in last 3 lines"

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
"The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena"

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post May 15 2021, 09:02 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (kenny @ May 15 2021, 02:58 AM) *
I believe this is a new technique for Martian atmospheric entry, but was previously used by Galileo at Jupiter and Cassini at Titan.

New for Mars orbiters, perhaps. But Beagle 2 was delivered this way on Mars Express' hyperbolic approach

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post May 15 2021, 09:08 PM
Post #41

Some rough translations of the screenshot here... I think. Feel free to improve upon them with the times and copyable text.
8:01:24 火星车静态定姿 = Putting the rover in the proper attitude.
8:14:39 火星车对地通信开始 = Start of rover-to-ground comm.
8:32:04 火星车对地通信结束 = End of rover-to-ground comm.
8:38:04 火星车脱插分离,车体抬升 = Rover separation (from lander?) and body lifted.
8:59:04 火星车太阳翼展平 = Rover solar wing deployed.
9:48:39 环绕器-Z对日姿态调轨开始 = Orbiter Z-axis starts moving toward the sun.
12:00:39 固连遥测探头数据点播下传 = On-demand? telemetry download?
12:29:39 近距离遥测探头数据点播下传 = Short-range telemetry download?
13:15:39 降轨,两器分离数据点播下传 = Decrease orbit, separate the two devices? and download data on demand?

--------------------

+Quote Post
tolis
post May 15 2021, 09:33 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 4216

QUOTE (Huguet @ May 15 2021, 08:29 PM) *
https://mobile.twitter.com/df2mz/status/1393617519257268225

"This screen shot from CCTV seems to show that the Zhurong rover already communicated with Earth, opened its solar panels and downloaded some data." Edgar Kaiser

"rover landed still; started to communicate with earth; communication finished; rover unlocked/lifted up; solar wings opened; obiter adjusted position . Data downloaded in last 3 lines"

Perhaps I am reaching, but is that a picture of a rock up on that screenshot?

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Huguet
post May 15 2021, 09:38 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 8523

QUOTE (tolis @ May 15 2021, 06:33 PM) *
Perhaps I am reaching, but is that a picture of a rock up on that screenshot?

Attached Image

Mabe they are working with some visual data. But they didn't get it right yet. Hard to wait for the images...

--------------------
"The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena"

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post May 15 2021, 09:44 PM
Post #44

It looks like there's some sort of reflecting going on somewhere creating two image planes here -- one being the reflection of the screen in the glass(?) and the other being whatever is behind it. For some reason I can't quite make sense of what's going on. Just below the rock-like shape, there's this white jagged line. Is that a graphical representation of a radio signal? A reflected bit of light from somewhere? I'm not sure which is the original screen (the white line or the rock-like shape) and which is a reflection of something unrelated.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 15 2021, 11:11 PM
Post #45

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Both Viking Landers were also deployed from orbit around Mars, like Tianwan - but I think what's unique here, and is more similar to ExoMars-TGO with Schiaparelli, Mars Express with Beagle 2, Galileo and Cassini Huygens compared to Viking - is that in those 4, the 'parent' spacecraft put itself on a collision course before deploying the lander and then doing a divert maneuver. In the case of Viking 1 and 2 - the landers themselves did their own deorbit burn to being entry into the atmosphere.

I think the only unique corner of all those boxes to be ticked yesterday is a parent spacecraft already in orbit putting itself into a trajectory for landing before deploying the lander and then doing a divert maneuver.

Phew.

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:59 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.