5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ceres Geology
Hungry4info
post Dec 6 2017, 11:45 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 4270

Describing what are obviously craters as "small conical hills" ... maybe this paper is a better fit for viXra.org instead.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DFortes
post Dec 6 2017, 01:49 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 1957

QUOTE (antipode @ Dec 6 2017, 06:31 AM) *
Is this a joke?

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1712/1712.01320.pdf

I get that its a preprint archive and all that, but....sheesh

P

This is great - perhaps one of the most endearingly mis-guided and unintentionally hilarious things I've seen in a while.
It actually has the line, "Those beauties are really in the eyes of a beholder." on page 4. Figure 39 nearly made me spit coffee over my keyboard.

But if you think that garbage only appears in arXiv, try this paper of dubious statistical quality, which I have to assume was peer reviewed by an actual human being...

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-13355-7

+Quote Post
fredk
post Dec 7 2017, 12:01 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (antipode @ Dec 6 2017, 07:31 AM) *
Is this a joke?

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1712/1712.01320.pdf

I get that its a preprint archive and all that, but....sheesh

I don't follow the earth and planetary subject area, but the main physics/astro/cosmo areas are extremely well controlled and a paper like this would not get through.

This author hasn't appeared on the arxiv before so would've needed endorsement, which I think is more or less automatic if you have an email address from a known institution. His email address is from the Nauchno-Issledovatel'skiy Fiziko-Khimicheskiy Institut Im. L. Ya. Karpova so that may have let him in easily. But that's a chemistry institute so it's unclear if he has any planetary science training.

The postings are also supposed to be moderated and he's clearly slipped through that net.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Dec 7 2017, 03:50 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 3995

Well that was painful.

+Quote Post
angel1801
post Dec 7 2017, 04:35 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 694

I very rarely post anything here apart from me giving valuable money to keep this wonderful site alive and running.

Even former editors of peer reviewed journals have said that up to 40% of all stuff that appears in peer reviewed journals are either of very poor poor quality or even worse a lot of the medical science stuff that appears cannot be re-produced by future research or was constructed is such a way to make the re-production of prior results all but impossible.

--------------------
I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before thee life and death, the blessing and the curse; therefore choose life, that thou mayest live, thou and thy seed.

- Opening line from episode 13 of "Cosmos"

+Quote Post
fredk
post Dec 7 2017, 08:22 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (fredk @ Dec 7 2017, 01:01 AM) *
The postings are also supposed to be moderated and he's clearly slipped through that net.

I pointed this out and they agreed it was missed by the area moderators. The preprint has been bumped down from astro-ph.EP to the scrapheap - physics.gen-ph.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Dec 8 2017, 12:04 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 196

hilariously painful indeed! gave up trying to find a timestamp of April 1st, but seems like too much effort went into it to just be a joke..
had the same reaction to figure 39, it perfectly sums up the paper in its own succinct meme...
Attached Image

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 05:53 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.