Closed TopicStart new topic
On to Santa Maria!
Phil Stooke
post Nov 1 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #31

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Special Agent Stooke reporting from Cape Canaveral - this new terrain looks just like the old familiar terrain outside Eagle crater. Presumably the small ripples will provide enough detail for the auto-image-matching software. Looking forward to some lengthy drives.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Nov 1 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 132

From the Cambridge Bay to the "parking lot" thread:
QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 28 2010, 11:20 AM) *
Edit: Btw, I still prefer "tarmac" to "parking lot", since you either park or drive very slowly in a parking lot, but you move quickly across the tarmac! wheel.gif

Perhaps an even better name: from the Planetary Society October MER update (paragraph 16).

"...Opportunity paused this weekend to look out on the sandflat, as Arvidson calls it..."

And we all know what happens on sandflats. laugh.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Nov 1 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 285

Here's a question for the impact geology experts out there. When we're looking at the rim of Endeavor (like Cape York in MoreInput's great montage on the prior page), are we looking at an uplifted geological section or an inverted geological section? Or perhaps a little of both?

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Nov 1 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #34

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Here's a comment twitted by Scott about the upcoming drive (on sol 2408 I presume):

Today's focus: drive-by shootings. Driving by several craters, imaging them as we pass. Probably gonna image three or four craters today.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Nov 2 2010, 06:53 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (algorimancer @ Nov 1 2010, 04:16 PM) *
... When we're looking at the rim of Endeavor ... are we looking at an uplifted geological section or an inverted geological section?

In the western rim of Endeavour the geological section appears to be uplifted but not overturned. Where layers in the rock can be discerned, they appear to be dipping away from the center of the crater. It is not so apparent at Cape York, but evidence can be found in segments of the rim south of Cape York. Take a look at the paper about Endeavour's phyllosilicates that I mentioned a few months ago. Figure 1d is a schematic cross section through the rim. Also see figure 3b. It is an anaglyph of a part of the rim clearly showing beds of rock dipping away from the crater.

Of course such dips do not conclusively prove that the section is not overturned. It could be overturned greater than 180 degrees, but that would be pretty unusual in this setting.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
climber
post Nov 2 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (Oersted @ Oct 31 2010, 10:01 PM) *
Thanks MoreInput!
Funny, I thought Cape York was much much bigger...

Nice comparison from MoreInput!
I was not too far there regarding Cape York size. I was surprised too to see how "small" it is. See post # 450 here : http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...6438&st=450

--------------------

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Nov 2 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 285

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Nov 2 2010, 01:53 AM) *
...the geological section appears to be uplifted but not overturned...

Thanks, that should help a bit with interpretation when we get there.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 2 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 152

Update on the planned drive:
DSN problems kept us from uplinking Monday's crater-hopping drive. They're redoing part of it today (less drive time, so cut it short).

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 3 2010, 06:12 AM
Post #39

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

I had cobbled this togeher before MoreInput's excellent comparisons were posted, but thought some of you might like to see these three places side-by-side...

Santa Maria, Victoria and Cape York...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Nov 3 2010, 09:31 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 30 2010, 10:44 PM) *
My impression is that we can basically see all of the plains now, up to the near rim of Endeavour. In fact, as we drop down towards Endeavour, the view of the plains may become less impressive. We may now be at the "HOAV" point. This would be a great spot for a superres Endeavour pan...

Attached Image

smile.gif What is great in your "Philovision" pic is that with (i) facing now a smooth descending slope and (ii) roughly 10 km more to go before reaching our Cape York target, the lowest parts of the features of Endeavour crater are still below the local Martian horizon (located about 4 km away) : a fascinating perspective ! Thanks to your processing, we have a good visual example showing the curvature of Mars... smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 3 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #41

It's hard to say for sure, but I'd think we're seeing more the curvature of the surface as it drops into Endeavour than the curvature of Mars. Judging from the contour maps we've seen (low resolution), it looks like the surface doesn't continue flat up to the rim, instead it curves more gradually downwards. And so Cape York seems to be somewhat below the level of the plains.

In this 2409 navcam view:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2409
we seem to be sitting very close to the "doublet" crater. We can only see a part of one of the pair on the far right. I believe that's C and B on the left of the frame.

This is about as flat as it gets:

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 3 2010, 02:31 PM
Post #42

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

The way the ground must curve on the way to Cape York (as you say, Fred) we'll get some nice views of it during the final approach.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Nov 3 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 253

QUOTE (fredk @ Nov 3 2010, 03:10 PM) *
In this 2409 navcam view:
we seem to be sitting very close to the "doublet" crater. We can only see a part of one of the pair on the far right. I believe that's C and B on the left of the

Agree. BTW, the double-crater was named "Paramore" and the next one will probably be "golden hind".

02408::p1871::01::6::0::0::6::0::12::Navcam_3x1_Paramore_3bpp
02408::p1872::00::6::0::0::6::0::12::Navcam_3x1_Golden_Hind_3bpp
02409::p1871::01::6::0::0::6::0::12::Navcam_3x1_Paramore_3bpp

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 6 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #44

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Interesting detail on the far rim of "Waypoint Crater" (no official name yet..?)

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 6 2010, 02:27 PM
Post #45

Another drive on 2412. Here's a stereo view peering into crater A/"waypoint crater":
Attached Image

We're off the ultra-flat patch, so we're seeing bigger ripples now, but it's still very flat:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2412
This is likely what the view will be like for a long time.
Edit: scooped!

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:48 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.