Reply to this topicStart new topic
Thera, Thrace, And Agneor Linea, and points south
Exploitcorporati...
post Jan 29 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #1

SewingMachine

Group: Members
Member No.: 510

Here's a broad view of this geographically distinctive region (insert National Geographic narrator here). This mosaic was made from two isolated frames of 17ESREGMAP01 at approximately 220m/pxl, three frames from 17ESAGNEOR01 at about 180m/pxl, and a reprojected background image from 14ESGLOCOL01 (taken from an opposite perspective and lighting geometry) at 1.4km/pxl.

Thera, Thrace, and Agneor Linea

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Jan 29 2006, 02:01 AM
Post #2

SewingMachine

High-resolution mosaic of a small portion of Thrace Chaos:

17ESTHRACE01

17ESTHRACE01 in context

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Jan 29 2006, 03:45 AM
Post #3

Guests

Ah, so you've imaged Thrace thrice? (Special award to anyone who can identify where I stole that joke from.)

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jan 29 2006, 03:51 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 15

"A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum"?

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Jan 29 2006, 04:16 AM
Post #5

Guests

Bah. That didn't take long.

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Jan 29 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 114

I'm loving these images!

It's like reexperiencing the Galileo mission.

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Jan 29 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #7

SewingMachine

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Jan 28 2006, 08:45 PM)
Ah, so you've imaged Thrace thrice?  (Special award to anyone who can identify where I stole that joke from.)

Theriousthly, Bruth, this harrathmenth abouth my speeth hath to thtop. laugh.gif

Interestingly, neighboring Thera Chaos was one of the first medium-resolution targets for Galileo at Europa during the prime mission, as it was positioned on the terminator (along with Cilix far to the north) during the C3 nontargeted encounter. Most of the structure is lost in shadow and radiation noise in the image. It's frustrating to realize how many fantastic opportunities for imaging coverage were lost to the high-gain failure. I recall seeing a footprint plot for the C3 high-res map of the terminator in the January 1996 issue of Astronomy that obviously predated the problem...

Here's the C3 image in two projections: C3ESWEDGES01c

--------------------

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jan 29 2006, 11:29 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 174

Face it... as wonderful as it was, the Galileo orbiter mission we got was a "Salvage Job". <grumble-sigh>

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Jan 30 2006, 01:50 PM
Post #9

SewingMachine

This is the first of several planned presentations of medium-resolution Galileo mapping. This mosaic consists of 19 images from four separate observations of the southern antijovian hemisphere of Europa, most from the very productive E17 pass. An annotated version is included, along with the low-resolution E6 view used as the backdrop.

Europa's deep south

Annotated map

E6ESGLOBAL01

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Jan 30 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #10

SewingMachine

Libya Linea at high resolution. This view has an excellent example of the subtle undulations visible in these broad, relatively smooth expansion zones, with prominent fractures at the peak. Similar features are visible in Astypalaea Linea.

17ESLIBLIN01

Context

--------------------

+Quote Post
vexgizmo
post Jan 30 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 623

Don't forget that good color is available over this southern area, too--the same E14 global color that ted used to make his beautiful mosaics. wink.gif

False color is here: Photojournal Thrace-Thera color

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Feb 1 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 655

Very very impressive work exploitcorporations. It's great to see some of the galileo imagery reprojected and presented in these formats.
I'm in awe of the image manipulation that is showcased by many who post on UMSF - thanks for sharing.

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Feb 1 2006, 01:32 PM
Post #13

SewingMachine

Thanks for the kind words. I'm starting to get somewhat of a grip on color compositing. Here's a portion of the E14 mosaic referred to in vexgizmo's post:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Feb 1 2006, 01:39 PM
Post #14

SewingMachine

Galileo obtained two high-resolution views of Agneor Linea during E17. This is the eastern one, covering the "fork".

17ESAGNEOR03e

Context view

High-resolution color

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Feb 1 2006, 01:40 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 105

I'm starting to get somewhat of a grip on color compositing.

And you are the master of the understatement.

Wonderful imagery! Europa is now taking on the appearance of another world instead of a pastel abstraction. Thanks.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:19 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.