Group: Members
Member No.: 150

I'm impressed by a couple of intriguing views in the recent imagery:

1) Sol1107 NavCam detail:
Attached Image

Could be Endurance, finally?

2) East horizon from Sol1108 (L2 PanCam - 3x stretch):
Attached Image

Even if I enhanced contrast, distant features seems weak... why?

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marswiggle
post Mar 8 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 193

Have a look at this image from yestersol. The light-toned far horizon is visible on the right, however it's intersected by a dark outline of the local VC rim rising to the left and thus blocking the view to the north. Also a wheeltrack is visible.
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...AZP0655L0M1.JPG

But we had recently a nice view towards north, where we can see the change from the western eastern flats to the more uneven 'high seas' that Oppy once traversed. I believe Endurance is hidden behind those dunes near the center, not too far from where unobstructed horizon begins.
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P1612L0M1.JPG

As to the fuzzy pancam horizon, I don't know explanation.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 9 2007, 04:00 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 152

These capes tend to drop down towards their tips so when we look back like in your shot Dilo we see a very nearby horizon. I've been looking for Endurance and no luck. We're now getting to the low side of Victoria. Our best bet was from the Beacon.

Wow - I'd forgotten about vertical stretching - we've got so much real topography now we haven't needed it!

+Quote Post
Guest_Edward Schmitz_*
post Mar 9 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #4

Guests

The fuzziness...

The L2 filter doesn't have the best resolution. The photons are too fat. It also doesn't cut through the atmospheric haze as well as the shorter wave length filters. L7/R1 which is in the UV spectrum seems to provide the best distance and definitely the best res.

ed

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:04 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.