Reply to this topicStart new topic
Tianwen-1 Mars Rover, China's 2020 Mission
marsophile
post Aug 6 2020, 05:13 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 4338

https://twitter.com/Tschnn/status/1174667085915598848

Twitter post by Thomas Schumann that has an image of two potential landing sites at

23-28 N x 108-112 E
24-30 N x 129-133 E

So it seems it could possibly land at
30 N x 134 E

That would put it at 18 degrees due south of the Viking 2 landing site at
48 N x 134 E
which I think is about 1100 km distant.

Assuming it could travel at 300 meters per day, I estimate it could reach Viking 2 in about 10 years of steady driving! If it didn't have something better to do, of course smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tolis
post Aug 6 2020, 07:52 AM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 4216

Even if it were possible to land or rove to the VL2 site, would you really want to? I'm no expert, but based on the area density of large rocks,
this is probably one of the worse sites that we've seen up close so far in terms of rover trafficability.

Using a helicopter would probably be a better idea (hint, hint).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2020 - 08:25 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.