Reply to this topicStart new topic
HiRISE and Mars Polar Lander
djellison
post May 18 2008, 03:58 PM
Post #91

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Even a shreded chute like those Boise MER tests would still be a fairly big target - and the backshell might, I expect, survive the impact - especially if the lander seperated before landing.

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 18 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #92

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Thanks, Zvezdichko and Tim for the pointers. Just for fun, here's the original place MPL was believed to have been found in 2005 (see this release), seen by HiRISE (quick'n'dirty "map projection"):

Later that year, the MSSS team got another look at the candidate site using cPROTO: http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2005/10/17/. It illustrates that to reasonably be able to pick up the lost lander (primarily its chute), cPROTO-like coverage would be needed across the ellipse. In other words, all is probably not lost just yet. The lack of chute detection by MGS might constrain the actual location to more chaotic terrain seen by HiRISE where the feature would not readily stand out to MGS.

BTW, is it me or are the MGS images less contrasted compared to HiRISE? Higher solar elevation in MGS images or something else?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reed
post May 18 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 4114

QUOTE (djellison @ May 18 2008, 07:58 AM) *
Even a shreded chute like those Boise MER tests would still be a fairly big target - and the backshell might, I expect, survive the impact - especially if the lander seperated before landing.

Doug

One thing I've been wondering is how the albedo of the stuff that appears bright at other landing sites (parachutes etc) compares to the bright (frost ?) areas we see in polar terrain. Then there's the question of seasonal frost forming on things we are looking for unsure.gif

Gordan
Nice work, I was hoping someone would do that.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 19 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #94

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Someone wrote to correct Rob Manning's math in my blog post on the statistics of the landing ellipse -- I'm posting the comments here so that people whose minds are less dulled by parenthood can take a look and see if the criticism is correct.
To get the *probability* of being within sigma standard deviations you need to integrate P(k) over k from -sigma to sigma. This integral gives probability(sigma)=erf(sigma/sqrt(2))^2,
where erf is the so-called "error function".

If you plug this in to some maths software like Mathematica or matlab, or look up a table (cringe), you get:
the probability of being within 1 sigma = 46.6% the probability of being within 3 sigma = 99.5% So the numbers presently given in the blog are qualitatively right anyway, I guess wink.gif but the maths fans might balk...

Anybody have a response?

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 19 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #95

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Well...dusting off my brain here, I'd say that the critic is right but so is Rob (he says so himself). The error function basically invokes an additional Gaussian distribution overlay on the overall uncertainty, but its magnitude is pretty small in this instance. The correction does not appear to be at all significant except to purists, and in any case is subsumed by the larger uncertainty envelope (landing ellipse).

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Mike Dorward
post Jun 1 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 4173

Attached is a 2X HiRISE image showing the Polar Lander resting on its side (the whiter pixels at the "top" of the shadow) and a shadow indicating an object approximately 1 meter wide and 3 meters tall. If you look closely at the far end of the shadow you can see a weak cross, which I believe to be the antennae of the spacecraft.

PSP_005536_1030_RED.QLOOK.JP2

The spacecraft is at 33802,67855

Mike Dorward
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 1 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #97

Merciless Robot

Sorry...not seeing it. Pretty sweeping claim, and you need to produce more convincing supporting evidence.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 1 2008, 06:24 PM
Post #98

Founder

All looks totally natural to me.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 1 2008, 06:37 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 523

This one is probably completely natural as well, but it does look interesting enough to mention. Below's a flicker gif between an object in 005536 and Spirit's backshell for reference. The sizes match pretty well, but the location seems too convenient as there are occasionally other round objects inside these trenches, especially in "corners" like this one. Non-map projected image rotated 180 deg to get a more reasonable illumination angle from top left.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 1 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #100

Merciless Robot

Cool...but I think we're getting into some deep kimchi here in a lot of ways. We don't know the rate of dust deposition in this area, for one, and geometrically similar objects are abundant.

Hate to say it, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that somebody's gonna find MPL by tripping over it around 2430.

(Usually when I say such things I'm immediately proven wrong, so here's to the power of negative luck... wink.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reed
post Jun 1 2008, 09:42 PM
Post #101

Member No.: 4114

QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 1 2008, 10:53 AM) *
Cool...but I think we're getting into some deep kimchi here in a lot of ways. We don't know the rate of dust deposition in this area, for one, and geometrically similar objects are abundant.

Agreed. There are plenty of ~8-12 pixel diameter bright spots that could conceivable be part of MPL, but don't have any features that allow a definitive conclusion.

I'm still somewhat optimistic about finding it. As previously mentioned, a good part of the predicted MPL ellipse has not been imaged by HiRISE. It may be sitting there plain as day. The evolution of the Phoenix site over the next season may give us a hint as to how realistic this is. If the parachute is undetectable after the first spring, that will bode poorly for finding MPL.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jun 1 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #102

Guests

How much of the landing ellipse did MGS cover?, I think the parachute ought to be fairly obvious even with MGS. With Phoenix landing so far down range of it's target - almost outside its landing ellipse infact, perhaps the same happened to MPL, and as others have suggested, we still don't have images of the area it lies in.

I wonder, if the failure scenario reached by the review team is correct, could MPL have survived the landing in some functional condition? Would the solar panels have been deployed? If not the lander will appear even smaller than illustrations indicate.

I know there was some excitement a few weeks after landing when reviews of communications attempts with MPL suggested they may have received some very weak signals, enough evidence at the time for them to re start communications attempts.

+Quote Post
claurel
post Jun 2 2008, 03:29 AM
Post #103

Member No.: 514

Another backshell rock sculpture from 005536_1030? Or an actual piece of MPL?

Attached Image

(zoom is 100%)

This sure looks bright and shiny, but I think it might be too large to be the backshell. Also, the way it's conveniently nestled into an indentation in the side of the fracture suggests a natural origin.

What is the exact size of the MPL backshell?

--Chris

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 2 2008, 06:10 AM
Post #104

Founder

The MPF, MER, MPL and Phoenix backshells are about 2.6 metres diameter. The Viking backshells are about 3.5m diameter

+Quote Post
claurel
post Jun 2 2008, 06:35 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 514

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 1 2008, 10:10 PM) *
The MPF, MER, MPL and Phoenix backshells are about 2.6 metres diameter. The Viking backshells are about 3.5m diameter

Thanks. Looks like that rock is nearly 2x larger than the MPL backshell then.

--Chris

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:00 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.