Reply to this topicStart new topic
InSight Surface Operations, 26 Nov 2018- 21 Dec 2022
Hungry4info
post Nov 28 2018, 12:11 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 4270

New images are up.

Another from the workstation camera, the cover is still on as of Sol 1.
https://mars.nasa.gov/insight-raw-images/su...0000_0589M_.PNG

There's a couple new images from the robotic arm camera, one shows some movement of .. I think the grappling device at the end of the arm?
https://mars.nasa.gov/insight-raw-images/su...0000_0463M_.PNG

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Nov 28 2018, 12:38 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 7273

Some of the dust on the camera lens has moved around. Hard to say if this is from wind or because movement from the grapple gently shook some of it off.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 28 2018, 12:44 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 152

Doing a further max with the new ICC frame doesn't improve my sol 0 2-frame image much, since not much dust has moved and the lighting is different in the sol 1 image which causes artifacts especially near the centre of the frame, but here it is anyway:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 28 2018, 12:46 AM
Post #34

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Not quite the same (I wrote this replying to fredk), look how the grapple moves between the two Sol 1 IDC images. And they are at different times of day so shadows move, including in the ICC images between sols 0 and 1.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Nov 28 2018, 02:04 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 1241

Here is a gif of Insight's deck from the IDC cam...
(the camera is on the 'forearm' section of the folded arm assembly)
Attached Image

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 28 2018, 02:23 AM
Post #36

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

The new dance craze for all the cool kids this Northern Hemisphere winter will be the Grapple Snapp! biggrin.gif Thanks, PDP.

A word on expectation management: The InSight team took great pains, I'd say, to emphasize that this mission will be considerably slower-paced than what we've become accustomed to over the years for Mars. Seems that I heard that surface instrument deployment probably won't begin till well after the holidays, though since it seems that they've begun testing arm mechanical functions we should see some of that at least in the near future.

Also, they'll of course have to survey the putative instrument placement sites before making a commitment; that will doubtless take some time.

All good. I guess geophysics missions require something a tiny bit closer to geological timescales to do right. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 28 2018, 02:32 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 5221

Yes, there's no wheels on this one. The nearest comparison is with Phoenix, and the team then was working with a much stricter deadline (Martian polar winter!) than InSight has. I'd be happy with a 360 panorama by Christmas!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 28 2018, 02:57 AM
Post #38

Just playing here, with the 3 IDC images making 2 pairs. These are difference images showing subtle changes - not so subtle on the deck where shadows and actual movement, but ignore that. The sky shows subtle changes between the two pairs, possibly related to clouds - very diffuse clouds - passing overhead. They have a radiometer to look for differences in illumination because it affects the heat flow, and those differences would include time of day, tau and cloud shadows.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
antipode
post Nov 28 2018, 03:24 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 1206

Thanks Phil. I hope we see some Philo-vision [TM] as soon as we get a significant stretch of the horizon in view!
I'm actually really looking forward to the meteorology package and magnetometer data.
Any idea when and where we might see that appear?

Another Phil

+Quote Post
propguy
post Nov 28 2018, 04:47 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 6507

QUOTE (antipode @ Nov 27 2018, 08:24 PM) *
Any idea when and where we might see that appear?

Without providing information that is not to be made public, from the timeline I have seen for the near term, it looks like images with different viewpoints and other hoped for things will occur this week. Sort of like the first ten plays of a football game, the sol days 0-5 are pre-scripted and will occur roughly on the planned timeline (unless of course issues arise). Sol 1 had a planned grapple lock down release (as you see in the photos). Array power is above predicts (as things usually are since the predicts are a worst case analysis) which is a great result.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 28 2018, 03:09 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 28 2018, 03:57 AM) *
These are difference images showing subtle changes - not so subtle on the deck where shadows and actual movement, but ignore that. The sky shows subtle changes between the two pairs, possibly related to clouds - very diffuse clouds - passing overhead.

Some of the differences may be due to the onboard jpeg compression.

Since the insight "raw" site is providing png's, that hopefully means that they are lossless relative to the received images - it wouldn't make sense to re-jpeg the received images and then convert those to pngs.

I haven't heard anything about the original true raw images (ie, before onboard jpeg compression) eventually being sent home.

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Nov 28 2018, 04:44 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 3299

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Nov 27 2018, 01:07 PM) *
This is what HiRISE looks like in the approximate landing area (image number in file name if you save it). Lots of smooth patches between slightly rougher patches. Really not too many serious hazards. I'm looking! But we don't have much to go on yet.

Phil

[attachment=43778:ESP_0379...ea_small.jpg]

This land does not look to be a windy place since it has no lines of a bump of sand.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 28 2018, 04:50 PM
Post #43

We haven't seen much of it yet! Lots more to see when the arm is raised.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 28 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #44

One result from the seismometer is expected to be the detection of impacts on Mars. And look at this, one occurred about 5 or 6 km from the landing site only 3 years ago.

Phil

Before impact:
Attached Image

After impact:
Attached Image

close-up:
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Nov 28 2018, 06:59 PM
Post #45

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Looks like it broke up in the air before impacting. Probably not great for probing the core right?

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post

85 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:47 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.