Reply to this topicStart new topic
July 20 2007 icy moon images (rev 48)
elakdawalla
post Jul 24 2007, 05:58 PM
Post #16

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Whoah, those are really cool images. Phil! Help! What/where are we looking at?

Speaking of Hyperion, I just noticed this little item in today's Significant Events Report.
Tuesday, July 17 (DOY 198):

The final sequence development process for S34 kicked off today. The sequence is unusual in that it will be composed of four parts. The first part is similar to a normal background sequence but will run for only two weeks. This is followed by uplink and checkout activities for CDS version 10 flight software that will last for about a week and a half. During this time period there will be no science observations. After the conclusion of the CDS activities, a mini-sequence devoted to Hyperion observations will run for about four days. The last piece of S34 is again like a normal background sequence with full science activities. This will run for a little over a week, concluding on or about November 1. The Hyperion mini-sequence base products and stripped subsequences and the sequence products for the pieces of the S34 background sequence have been released for team review.

Looks like the Hyperion close approach will be within about 120,000 km on October 21; and during the second week or so of October, there'll be no science data at all.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 24 2007, 06:02 PM
Post #17

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

You're looking at the big facet frequently seen before including in the highest resolution mosaic from the really close encounter. It's just that we have not seen such perfect low angle lighting before.

Attached Image

Incidentally, I don't think I ever posted this before:

Attached Image

It's a cylindrical mosaic of Voyager images. This new pic is of the roughly circular patch on the left side. It was made by me with the assistance of my friend Alyson Ford.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 24 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 523

Wow, that lump really does look different to me every time. ohmy.gif I wish I had a shape model of Hyperion on my desk.

3 frame rotation composed of colorized IR3 frames - these are the brightest raws available. Looks like there's no end in sight for the histogram stretcher hiccup.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 24 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #19

Administrator

Neat animation. It really lets you see Hyperion as a faceted shape rather than a body that anyone could describe as "round."

Gordan, how exactly did you colorize this?

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 24 2007, 06:21 PM
Post #20

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

That's Helios IIRC

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 24 2007, 06:39 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jul 24 2007, 07:20 PM) *
Gordan, how exactly did you colorize this?
I used my other color shots as reference, in natural color views there's virtually no color variation anyway. I simply applied a level balance in Photoshop that reduced the max brightness of the green channel to 238 (from 255) and blue to 219, thus giving the brownish-red hue and afterwards increased the saturation a tad.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Jul 24 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #22

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jul 24 2007, 11:02 AM) *
You're looking at the big facet frequently seen before including in the highest resolution mosaic from the really close encounter. It's just that we have not seen such perfect low angle lighting before.

I might be totally off my meds here, but I disagree. This feature looks like the prominent crater to the "southeast" (!?!) of the big facet seen during the targeted encounter (bottom center in your map). To illustrate:

Attached Image

I think this is the bite out of the cookie (forgive me, my 4-year-old was doing impressions of you-know-who this morning). If I'm wrong Phil, you can pummel me with rocks, preferrably irregular and faceted. laugh.gif

EDIT: D'oh! VP got it before I did. Unrelated bonus points in Io vs Europa deathmatch. I'll get you my pretty, if it's the last thing I do! (There's no defense against buckets of superheated sulphur. Appealing to UMSF High Council).

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 24 2007, 09:51 PM
Post #23

Administrator

That's a really helpful comparison, EC. Thanks!

Emily

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 24 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #24

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

You're absolutely right, EC, I had it upside down! Sorry about that. Can I get some of your meds?

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jul 24 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #25

You mean there's a "This side up" on Hyperion? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Jul 24 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #26

SewingMachine

Member No.: 510

Sure thing! Be forewarned...upside-down won't get any better with them, but they do allow you to drive backwards. I ran over my own post fifteen minutes ago. biggrin.gif

Edit: "This Side Up" on Hyperion remains sort of ambiguous. I suggest that Proteus is the box Hyperion came in, and that Ted has reprocessed the image enough that the lettering may finally be visible.

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 24 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #27

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Not daring for a moment to think I can compete with or compare my mucking about to the work already posted here, but I couldn't resist having a go at this Hyperion image myself, purely because it reminded me of the images DEEP IMPACT sent back from its target comet... anyone else think that?

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
alan
post Jul 25 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 110

Enceladus passing in front of Dione
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...iImageID=117089

A short animation

Attached Image

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jul 28 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 184

Hi,

Quick map update for Tethys adding a medium-res image from the July encounter. I'll still want to figure out where the images in EC's hi-res mosaic (post #4) are located. Also thinking of the earlier Ithaca Chasma mosaic...

http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/sos/sos.html#TETHYS

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 03:13 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.