11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Earthlike Mars?
dvandorn
post Sep 17 2009, 01:03 AM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

I would say that ground cracks that aren't filled up with dust occur because the process of dust deposition v. deflation has achieved a dynamic stability on Mars. The winds giveth, the winds taketh away... wink.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glennwsmith
post Sep 22 2009, 12:57 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 328

There's a new report out that results from the Indian lunar mapper (announcement coming up) indicate that there's "lots" of water on the Moon

If that's the case, then there's "lots^^2" water on Mars. I believe, in fact, that we are establishing a new paradigm -- just as we are now learning that planets are plentiful in the universe, so we are also learning that the rocky bodies among them are loaded with water -- Mars, the apparent desert planet, included.

I know this is the kind of wild statement that cautious thinkers abhor, but I can't help it -- it's in my genes.

BTW, I think Fran asked a good question about the desiccation cracks and the other Doug had an equally good answer.

+Quote Post
glennwsmith
post Sep 25 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #78

Two back-to-back articles on the JPL web site about water on the moon and Mars, respectively -- in the unlikely event that there's a UMSFer somewhere who has not yet seen them:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2009-147

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2009-148

Sept 24, 2009 -- a big day for space junkies indeed.

+Quote Post
MarsIsImportant
post Sep 25 2009, 12:53 AM
Post #79

Member No.: 1503

hhmmm! So water ice and sublimation is a much more significant process on Mars than previously thought...not a big surprise to me personally. The big surprise is the Moon. But if comets brought water to Earth, then it makes sense that they would bring it to the Moon too.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Sep 25 2009, 01:49 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (MarsIsImportant @ Sep 24 2009, 05:53 PM) *
But if comets brought water to Earth, then it makes sense that they would bring it to the Moon too.

It wouldn't have stayed on the moon very long, though, if it came from comets. Current thinking seems to be that the lunar water is produced by the solar wind. I'd doubt if very much (if any) Martian water arrived that way.

--Greg

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 25 2009, 05:45 AM
Post #81

Member No.: 682

"Water" on Mars guys! Ice visible at mid latitudes from HiRise: http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=29232
BTW, Astro, where is the new emoticon you shown us recently?

--------------------

+Quote Post
serpens
post Sep 25 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 4605

QUOTE (climber @ Sep 25 2009, 06:45 AM) *
"Water" on Mars guys! Ice visible at mid latitudes from HiRise.....

The identification of ice in a new crater is a good find. But I feel that Shane Byrne is a bit quick off the mark to claim cause and effect and state that "This ice is a relic of a more humid climate from perhaps just several thousand years ago."

Ice underlying the regolith within centimeters of the surface as a recent deposit - perhaps. A relic of an older warmer wetter past - perhaps. Or the residue from ice meteorites that left icy residue that gradually sublimated. The latter would seem more in keeping with the observation that the ice was a thin layer overlying darker material.

+Quote Post
Julius
post Sep 25 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 741

i think we should perhaps revisit Viking 2 science results...any news from the radar team as to th thickness of water ice in mid latitudes of Mars??

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Sep 26 2009, 01:55 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 4350

Well, at the scalloped terrain of Utopia Planitia (46º) the sublimation pits are quite deep:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...mp;#entry127173

+Quote Post
Julius
post Sep 26 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 741

Are we sure those craters spotted recently are impact craters or explosive??water ice sublimating ?similar to the spider structures seen at the poles except that the mechanism for the latter seems to be C02!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 26 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #86

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

If you can suggest a method by which they can suddenly appear, in a cluster, with ejecta and occasional airburst patterns....go for it.

+Quote Post
glennwsmith
post Sep 30 2009, 03:03 AM
Post #87

Does anyone have a sense of the distribution of these ice paved craters relative to the presumed outline of Oceanus Borealis? And a related question: do these craters all fall within basins or low lying regions, or regions which were at one time low lying?

+Quote Post
glennwsmith
post Oct 28 2009, 04:58 AM
Post #88

In an earlier post in this thread, I made the not-original observation that the many pairs of trained amateur eyes of UMSF members could play an important role in interpreting the visual evidence for an Oceanus Borealis.

That concept has now been endorsed in a big way on APOD, but in reference to galaxy structure. It's pretty darned interesting:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap091026.html

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Oct 29 2009, 03:06 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 4489

In an earlier post in this thread, I made the not-original observation that the many pairs of trained amateur eyes of UMSF members could play an important role in interpreting the visual evidence for an Oceanus Borealis.

and to think i made this image 6 years ago ( 100% fictous ) based ONLY on an average mola height
1024x512
[attachment=19418:1kBlueMars.jpg]

too much ice ,no weathering , ...
it dose need to be remade

+Quote Post
glennwsmith
post Oct 30 2009, 04:26 AM
Post #90

JohnVV -- way cool! My effort understandably did not pass Phil's muster, but perhaps yours will!

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.