240 Pages V  « < 74 75 76 77 78 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Opportunity Route Map
Burmese
post Mar 21 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #1126

Group: Members
Member No.: 365

*sigh* Still a -long- way to travel. Getting to Erebus from Endurance was barely over 1/2 the trip to Victoria...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_BillyMER_*
post Mar 21 2006, 03:14 PM
Post #1127

Guests

QUOTE (Burmese @ Mar 21 2006, 09:41 AM) *
*sigh* Still a -long- way to travel. Getting to Erebus from Endurance was barely over 1/2 the trip to Victoria...

I wonder if someone can supply info on how far the rover has traveled "as the crow flies" from the landing site to endurance crater on to where it is now. Same with Spirit,from the landing site to the top of husband hill to where it is now and also maybe a direct line from the landing site to where Spirit is now ? To me it seems easy to lose perspective as to just how the rovers have traveled until you figure out say a two mile distance from where you live,it then it seems like quite distance or to me at least.

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Mar 21 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #1128

Member No.: 181

Here's an off the wall question: anyone know the lat and lon for (the center of) Erebus?

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 21 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #1129

Member No.: 499

Yet another great achievement for Opportunity! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
ToSeek
post Mar 21 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #1130

Member No.: 74

QUOTE (Burmese @ Mar 21 2006, 02:41 PM) *

Actually, I think that Erebus is about two-thirds of the way from Endurance to Victoria. However, the terrain is going to be rougher the rest of the way than those lovely smooth sands we had most of the way to Erebus.

+Quote Post
Guest_BillyMER_*
post Mar 22 2006, 01:02 AM
Post #1131

Guests

QUOTE (ToSeek @ Mar 21 2006, 06:27 PM) *
Actually, I think that Erebus is about two-thirds of the way from Endurance to Victoria. However, the terrain is going to be rougher the rest of the way than those lovely smooth sands we had most of the way to Erebus.

Are we not moving into an area with more bedrock exposed and less complicated driving ? I'm optimist and think this region will be covered quite quickly and see oppy getting to Victoria quicker then many of the projections in the other thread.
One thing I've always noticed about both rovers when looking at the pics of the drive direction and that is the terrain always looks much worse then when we actually get there and it's like I ask myself where did all the obstructions go ? A credit to the people driving these rovers. See Doug, I can give them credit when they deserve it in certain aspects of the drive :-)

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Mar 22 2006, 01:23 AM
Post #1132

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (BillyMER @ Mar 22 2006, 01:02 AM) *
Are we not moving into an area with more bedrock exposed and less complicated driving ? I'm optimist and think this region will be covered quite quickly and see oppy getting to Victoria quicker then many of the projections in the other thread.

FWIW, I agree. Knowing what we know now, comparing the satellite view to the views from the ground, I'm betting it's going to be relatively smooth sailing right up until we get to Victoria - not as easy as the first part of the journey south, but easier than the terrain around Erebus, I would think. I have no idea what's going to happen when we get there, though smile.gif

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Mar 22 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #1133

Member No.: 385

Since Oppy left visiting the Payson, it has been driving an average of around 19 meters / sol (alternating driving and charging/atmosphere observations sols), as always taking the best and safest way in the middle of ripples. The outlook is 100 sols according to the present advance pace (Sol 867 at June 30)

Rodolfo

P.D.I will create a small matrix about the Oppy transverse progress toward Victoria with its distance/sol, remain distance, average distance/sol, arrival Victoria date outlook. I will update it to this topic.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 22 2006, 04:17 AM
Post #1134

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

BillyMER asked about the rover locations. The best estimate I have gives the current positions (you'll have to convert to miles yourself if you want that):

Spirit - 3200 m E of lander, 2080 m S of lander, straight line distance 3817 m from lander.

Opportunity - 350 m E of lander, 4340 m S of lander, straight line distance 4350 m from lander.

These are based on measurements from map-projected MOC images, and are probably accurate to within a few tens of meters.

I will try to answer Pertinax's question tomorrow.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 22 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #1135

Pertinax:

Measuring on a map-projected version of MOC R22-00640 I find that the centre of Erebus is at:

5.79 degrees west, 2.05 degrees south

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Mar 22 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #1136

Member No.: 221

Doug,

Can i suggest that this thread is pinned at the top of the Oppy forum like the route map is in the Sprit forum. Although this thread is so frequently updated that it hovers there most of the time, it would be nice for it to aways be in the same place given that it is such a oft viewed thread.

+Quote Post
avkillick
post Mar 22 2006, 04:43 PM
Post #1137

Member No.: 216

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Mar 21 2006, 07:54 PM) *
P.D.I will create a small matrix about the Oppy transverse progress toward Victoria with its distance/sol, remain distance, average distance/sol, arrival Victoria date outlook. I will update it to this topic.

Of course, initially the margin of error wuld be huge - but would diminish with time. This would be a really useful metric.

--------------------
My Open Office Website: http://www.openofficetips.com

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Mar 22 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #1138

Member No.: 181

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 22 2006, 11:20 AM) *
Pertinax:

Measuring on a map-projected version of MOC R22-00640 I find that the centre of Erebus is at:

5.79 degrees west, 2.05 degrees south

Phil

A myriad of thanks Phil. When we peak down into Victoria for the first time on Sol 1066, I'll pester you for the lalo of Victoria. biggrin.gif

Again, thank you.

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 23 2006, 02:19 PM
Post #1139

JPL's new map is up now:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/tm-.../MERB_766_1.jpg

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Mar 24 2006, 12:23 PM
Post #1140

Guests

Oh, for some drives as those between Vostok and Voyager! - I actually think the terrain will be propitious for it. Let Oppy loose on autopilot!

+Quote Post

240 Pages V  « < 74 75 76 77 78 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:39 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.