26 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Haskin Ridge, The Eastern Route Down to the Basin
stewjack
post Oct 6 2005, 05:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 379

Now that we know where we are going, I thought we could use a topic about our future route. I hope that a few images will get the rover rolling - downhill.

wheel.gif READY wheel.gif START wheel.gif

BACKGROUND
------
From Steve Squyres Misson Update
Octoberber 4, 2005

Extending eastward from the summit of Husband Hill is a broad ridge that we've named Haskin Ridge. It trends ENE from the summit, does a little dog-leg to the right, and then trends ESE for a bit. Right at the dog-leg there's a pretty steep step, which we're not certain we can get down. So we're going to descend the upper portion of the ridge, right to where the step is, and assess the situation. If we can see a safe route, then we'll continue down onto the lower portion of Haskin Ridge.
------

My Image of Haskin Ridge
I tried to get the best image of Haskin ridge that was available, and this is a crop from a true color TIFF summit panorama, located on the the Cornell Pancam web site. I converted the tif file to a gif file to save some download time. smile.gif

Warning : File Size : 1.7 MB mars.gif
Cornell True Color Pan of Haskin Ridge

Reference
WEB page of Husband Hill Summit Panorama
Warning: File Size : 80 MB !!!! mars.gif
Preliminary Spirit Pancam of "Husband Hill Summit" Panorama

Jack

PS If you can't see the "steep step" that Squyres mentions - try this orbital image. I believe that the "steep step" is the dark shadow cutting across the ridge that is located directly under the word CRATER. I think that it is also visible in the true color pancam image, but it is less obvious.

Orbital View of Husband Hill and Basin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 6 2005, 06:28 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Good idea to get a new thread running for the decent.

QUOTE (stewjack @ Oct 6 2005, 03:59 PM)
PS If you can't see the "steep step" that Squyres mentions - try this orbital image.  I believe that the "steep step" is the dark shadow cutting across the ridge that is located directly under the word CRATER.  I think that it is also visible in the true color pancam image, but it is less obvious.

Orbital View of Husband Hill and Basin

I'm not so sure you can see it in that (or any current) Pancam image (I'd love to be proved wrong).

In that Pancam image the nearest bit of the Haskin ridge visible is where it turns to the left a bit, this is visible in the orbital picture and is much further away than the steep step (holding pen upto monitor: about 300m). The step is less than 100m away and well hidden from the summit.

I'm sure one of our talented menbers will produce a image of what can and can't be seen from the 3D models. Hint wink.gif

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 6 2005, 06:59 AM
Post #3

After re-reading your post I think we may be disagreeing on the position of the steep step. When you say below the work 'crater' do you mean under the ER or the C.

I agree with odaves guess in the route map thread as SS says its at the bend from ENE to ESE the other dark shadow that could be a 'steep step' is at a bend the other way around (from ESE to ENE). Confusing blink.gif

I think the 594-597 Inner Basin pan will be better than the summit pan as it shows much more of the Haskin Ridge, including most of the ESE section. I'll attach a full resolution crop from my inner basin pan for mapping purposes.

James
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Twitter

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 6 2005, 07:31 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 105

Thanks, James, for your pan. My first thought, after seeing odave's MOC image guess, was that this route was insane, but from your image, it does not look that bad. My concern is that downwind of Husband Hill is an ideal place for loose dust and sand to be deposited.

My best choice would have been SW then South to what used to be called Lookout Point (the oppposite direction around), but the current route will take us by some interesting outcrops.

--Bill

PS-- it looks better. This is a crop from James Canvin's pano, color tweaked with 3x vertical exaggeration. Haskin Ridge ESE enters from the left center and, although the proposed route is not visible, you can compare similar features from the MOC image and see that the topography is not impossibly steep.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Oct 6 2005, 07:57 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 353

Here is the beginning of the route down to Haskin Ridge.

Taken on Sol 623 with the L0 navcam.

jvandriel
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 6 2005, 09:10 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 253

Does anybody know if there is any cProto image covering Columbia Hills?

I have MOC images E0300012, R0200357, and R2001024, but afaik none of them has cProto resolution.

+Quote Post
SigurRosFan
post Oct 6 2005, 09:26 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 471

R1502643

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2004/09/27/

Only cProto resolution of the landing site, but I see no hills.

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 6 2005, 09:57 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 253

No luck. sad.gif
Taking R1502643 as reference the hills would be to the SE, right after the bottom-right corner.

Any other picture, please?

+Quote Post
stewjack
post Oct 6 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 379

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Oct 6 2005, 02:59 AM)
After re-reading your post I think we may be disagreeing on the position of the steep step. When you say below the work 'crater' do you mean under the ER or the C.

I agree with odaves guess in the route map thread as SS says its at the bend from ENE to ESE the other dark shadow that could be a 'steep step' is at a bend the other way around (from ESE to ENE). Confusing blink.gif

I agree with odaves location of the shadow, and was actually guided by his "best guess.'" I have no experience marking images and was using the word CRATER to help orient people who could not find the ridge! mars.gif

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Oct 6 2005, 02:59 AM)
I think the 594-597 Inner Basin pan will be better than the summit pan as it shows much more of the Haskin Ridge, including most of the ESE section. I'll attach a full resolution crop from my inner basin pan for mapping purposes.

James

Your full resolution (excellent) crop lacks the feature I thought indicated the "steep step." Your suggestion that the "steep step" is hidden below the slope of Husband Hill is more probable. I had not even considered that possibility. ohmy.gif

I guess it's just as important to know what we can't see, as it is to describe what we can see.

I need to learn how to mark images. I have more than one type of software that allows me to do it.

Jack

+Quote Post
odave
post Oct 6 2005, 03:27 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 209

I'm not sure what OS you're running, but any simple "paint" program that has drawing tools for lines and text could be used. I use Paint Shop PRO for stuff like this, but the simple MS Paint program that ships with Windows is just fine.

For Unix there's GIMP, but there may be something simpler available.

The process isn't hard, just load the image into the program, find the line tool/text tool, and experiment!

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
Phillip
post Oct 6 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 249

I googled "Haskin" and based on the search results I assume this is the person after whom Haskin Ridge has been named?

http://epsc.wustl.edu/admin/people/haskin.html

If so, it seems very fitting.

+Quote Post
odave
post Oct 6 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 209

I did some digging around and found this image from a while back that gives an idea of the elevation changes. It's hard to tell from this angle, but the descent path down the east side still looks pretty challenging. I guess we'll know better when Spirit heads down the ridge and returns some images...

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
aldo12xu
post Oct 6 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 85

Have a look at some of the stereo images with elevation dilo posted in this thread:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...pic=1301&st=195

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 7 2005, 12:23 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Oct 6 2005, 05:31 PM)
Thanks, James, for your pan.  My first thought, after seeing odave's MOC image guess, was that this route was insane, but from your image, it does not look that bad.  My concern is that downwind of Husband Hill is an ideal place for loose dust and sand to be deposited.

My best choice would have been SW then South to what used to be called Lookout Point (the oppposite direction around), but the current route will take us by some interesting outcrops.

--Bill

PS-- it looks better.  This is a crop from James Canvin's pano, color tweaked with 3x vertical exaggeration.  Haskin Ridge ESE enters from the left center and, although the proposed route is not visible, you can compare similar features from the MOC image and see that the topography is not impossibly steep.

Nice work.

I don't think my image really helps in assessing how insane the Haskin ridge route is going to be. I'm sure that the most difficult bit will be in the initial steep ENE decent and the 'steep slope' which cannot be seen.

The big broblem with the decent is that we'll be driving across the layers of the dip slope as opposed to along them (as was the case on the acent). You can see the line of the 'steep slope' all the way along the side of Husband hill and into the East basin in the MOC images. I have visions of this being a long, steep, rocky outcrop as far as the eye (pancam) can see, that could be a pretty impassible barrier. unsure.gif

James

--------------------
Twitter

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Oct 7 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (aldo12xu @ Oct 7 2005, 09:54 AM)
Have a look at some of the stereo images with elevation dilo posted in this thread:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...pic=1301&st=195

Here is one of dilos elevation maps with a bit of annotation.

Note the vertical scale is exagerated x2, but that slope still looks challenging, and I doubt it's going to be paved like Karatape!

James

--------------------
Twitter

+Quote Post

26 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:55 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.