5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Reprocessing Galileo Io Images
ugordan
post Apr 8 2007, 04:41 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

Emily, what I used to do was create a new blank image and convert it to the user profile before pasting the three channels in and afterwards convert it again to the regular sRGB profile and save it. That is the default profile and the colors will then look correct on other computers as well. Conversion from user to sRGB should not change the colors in the image in PSP if you're doing it right.

EDIT: Bjorn, if calibrated images aren't strictly important, shouldn't at least one important factor be the exposure between filters and also the transmitted spectral power of each one (area below the curve) to normalize each filter to the same brightness "unit"? If SSI had other settings such as gain, that should technically also be taken into account.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Apr 17 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #47

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

I have gone ahead and updated my page of Galileo Io images so that images from all available orbit are included. I may add some additional images from some of the close flybys over the next few weeks:

http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~perry/io_images/index.html

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 18 2007, 03:22 PM
Post #48

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

A very useful resource. Thanks, vp.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 7 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #49

I am currently going through the process of updating the above page to include calibrated images. Previously, I had problems with ISIS and Galileo images so I wasn't able to properly process Galileo stuff in a few years. The issue has now been been resolved so now I can properly process these again. I've worked on the E14, I31, and I32 color images today and hope to properly work on the other color image sets over the next few months, plus add Voyager, New Horizons, and Hubble images to the above page.

I particularly like :

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Feb 8 2008, 12:29 AM
Post #50

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I really look forward to seeing this. If you are including Hubble images, you might consider adding some of the Cassini images showing the Tvashtar eruption as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Feb 8 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 347

Nice work :-) I really like the mosaics, and some of them really look new to me, such as this : http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~perry/io_i...2ISTELGNS01.png

The calibrated global views look consistent and realistic. I'd like to see a global map made of those :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Feb 9 2008, 03:53 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 103

Amazing image, it really leaps out at you! Io is the one place in the solar system that, whenever I see an image of it, I think, "That can't be REAL!!"

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Feb 19 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 347

Here are some of VolcanoPele's mosaics integrated with lower resolution color data.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The images were high passed for a better merge and colors balanced to my personal taste. Io looks striking like this!

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Feb 19 2008, 09:20 PM
Post #54

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

Beautiful work! What background data did you use? I am wondering if the C-21 might provide a better backdrop.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 19 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 542

Those are just amazing. Hearty thanks to you, and everybody else who made those pictures possible.

+Quote Post
remcook
post Feb 20 2008, 09:23 AM
Post #56

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

looks really cool! the combination of hi-res and low-res makes it look like your seeing something very small through a microscope smile.gif

+Quote Post
mgrodzki
post Mar 2 2008, 03:36 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 507

QUOTE (4th rock from the sun @ Feb 19 2008, 04:09 PM) *
Here are some of VolcanoPele's mosaics integrated with lower resolution color data.

Attached Image

Attached Image

The images were high passed for a better merge and colors balanced to my personal taste. Io looks striking like this!

DAMN!

--------------------
………………………………………
http://www.chopshopstore.com
http://www.wanderingspace.net

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Mar 10 2008, 03:17 AM
Post #58

Here are a few of the observations I've finished up in the last few weeks:

27ISCAMAXT01 - Medium resolution mosaic across the Chaac-Camaxtli region of Io's anti-jovian hemisphere
27ISCAMAXT01-color - Above mosaic combined with color from the "true" color C21 mosaic
27ISPROMTH02 - Medium resolution color mosaic across the Prometheus flow field
10ISIOGLOC03 - Color observation showing the Pillan eruption deposits
10ISIOGLOC01-VGRcolor - Color observation of Io's trailing hemisphere (areas with only RED and VIOLET filters in "Voyager" color)
G2ISSRFMON01 - Io with Jupiter in the background

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 10 2008, 03:40 AM
Post #59

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

ohmy.gif ...Jason, all I can add is another "DAMN!!!!"

Very impressive; stirring, even. You might just make me a focused Ioniphile yet...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 10 2008, 07:44 AM
Post #60

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Wow... the "Pillan deposits" image is simply stunning. Don't think I've ever seen Io looking more.. diseased! wink.gif

Can I ask you a question Jason? What fascinates you so much about Io? I'm always struck by how different people here have passions for different moons or worlds. I mean, I'm a martian to the core, it has called to me for as long as I can remember, but I know some people aren't that interested in it. And personally - and you'll thwack me on the head for saying this, but hey, it's all about personal attraction! - I am much more fascinated by Europa than I am by Io; no offence to Io or your interest in it - Io's volcanoes and sulphurous plains are intriguing and dramatic, no doubt - but that icy, fractured landscape Europan absolutely fascinates me, and I would love to stand on the ice, coloured a thousand different shades of tan, caramel, orange and gold by shattered reflections of Jupiter, and wonder if there was ice beneath my feet, whilst I simply can't summon up that much passion for Io, you know? So, just wondering, what is it about Io? Scientific reasons? Aesthetic reasons?

( BTW: anyone else who wants to, feel free to chip in with why you feel so fascinated by your particular fave moon or world or whatever. smile.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:17 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.