Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rings And Moons, A little picture
Guest_Sunspot_*
post May 10 2005, 06:12 PM
Post #46

Guests

it might be a problem with the JPL RAW site...there's very little being posted at all at the moment (maybe they just aren't taking many pics at the moment), but some of the links to the pictures are broken too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post May 10 2005, 06:34 PM
Post #47

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (Sunspot @ May 10 2005, 11:12 AM)
it might be a problem with the JPL RAW site...there's very little being posted at all at the moment (maybe they just aren't taking many pics at the moment), but some of the links to the pictures are broken too.

This has nothing to do with the RAW images, this is about the image release...

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post May 10 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #48

Guests

A major new find, just announced on Jason's blog: Cassini has found the tiny moon responsible for the Keeler Gap:
http://volcanopele.blogspot.com/2005/05/ne...te-s-2005-s-1.h
tml .

Just as with Pan in the Encke Gap, they were confident it was there on the grounds of indirect observations of its gravity wake in the Gap's edges -- and, sure enough, here it is.

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post May 10 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #49

Guests

Let's try that URL again:

http://volcanopele.blogspot.com/2005/05/ne...s-2005-s-1.html

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post May 10 2005, 06:53 PM
Post #50

Guests

OK, let's try it a third time:

http://volcanopele.blogspot.com/2005/05/ne...s-2005-s-1.html

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post May 10 2005, 06:56 PM
Post #51

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ May 10 2005, 11:51 AM)
A major new find, just announced on Jason's blog: Cassini has found the tiny moon responsible for the Keeler Gap:
http://volcanopele.blogspot.com/2005/05/ne...te-s-2005-s-1.h
tml . 

Just as with Pan in the Encke Gap, they were confident it was there on the grounds of indirect observations of its gravity wake in the Gap's edges -- and, sure enough, here it is.

This is what has been discussed on this thread the last day or so. That post is based on Singing Badger's post of the IAU Cicrular and based what I could off of that.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
dilo
post May 10 2005, 07:50 PM
Post #52

Group: Members
Member No.: 150

QUOTE (alan @ May 10 2005, 01:10 PM)
It seems rather obvious in those images, why wasn't it discovered then instead of on May 1? Did everyone assume it was Pan like I did at first when looking for it in those images?

Great finding, Alan! I rimember these images taken almost 20 days ago; they belongs to a long sequence and I commented them on this thread (see http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...dpost&p=8583)... However, I didn't noticed the moon, even if rather obvious, in fact mad.gif
Anyway, based on these images, I made a little movie clearly showing the movement of the moon inside keeler Gap:

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post May 10 2005, 08:16 PM
Post #53

Guests

Well, that's what I get for not monitoring all the threads properly.

+Quote Post
alan
post May 11 2005, 04:03 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 110

QUOTE (dilo @ May 10 2005, 07:50 PM)
QUOTE (alan @ May 10 2005, 01:10 PM)
It seems rather obvious in those images, why wasn't it discovered then instead of on May 1? Did everyone assume it was Pan like I did at first when looking for it in those images?

Great finding, Alan! I rimember these images taken almost 20 days ago; they belongs to a long sequence and I commented them on this thread (see http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...dpost&p=8583)... However, I didn't noticed the moon, even if rather obvious, in fact mad.gif
Anyway, based on these images, I made a little movie clearly showing the movement of the moon inside keeler Gap:

I remembered the movie you made three weeks ago when I was looking for those image. I was thinking about how close it came to being discovered by an amatuer. Actually I remember seeing it back then (thinking thats just Pan, nothing to see here) and moving on to the next image because I was more interested in seeing Prometheus and Pandora.

+Quote Post
dilo
post May 11 2005, 06:05 AM
Post #55

QUOTE (alan @ May 11 2005, 04:03 AM)
I remembered the movie you made three weeks ago when I was looking for those image. I was thinking about how close it came to being discovered by an amatuer. Actually I remember seeing it back then (thinking thats just Pan, nothing to see here) and moving on to the next image because I was more interested in seeing Prometheus and Pandora.

Yes, about the same for me... maybe sometime we have too much informations in so few time, and we discard important things! sad.gif
regards

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post May 11 2005, 06:16 AM
Post #56

blink.gif Hey, guys, someone noticed this smaller object in the gap???

Yes, I know, could be sensor hotpixel, cosmic ray or even background star... but it seems to generate a secondary pattern of waves... ohmy.gif
Jason, wath do tou think?

--------------------

+Quote Post
alan
post May 11 2005, 04:25 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 110

It only shows up in one frame of the movie and there are no ripples on outside of the gap near it, probably a cosmic ray. I saw a few of these yesterday when I was looking for moons in images from last year, often in interesting places like in the cassini division, but none of them showed up in more than one image.

+Quote Post
dilo
post May 11 2005, 07:20 PM
Post #58

QUOTE (alan @ May 11 2005, 04:25 PM)
It only shows up in one frame of the movie and there are no ripples on outside of the gap near it, probably a cosmic ray. I saw a few of these yesterday when I was looking for moons in images from last year, often in interesting places like in the cassini division, but none of them showed up in more than one image.

Thanks alan... hey, my impression is that a furious amateur moon search is starting here!!! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
RedSky
post May 26 2005, 11:36 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 218

In this long exposure, there is a very faint ring well out (to the left) of the main rings.

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...eiImageID=40944

Is that the G or E ring? Also, while it may just be a background star shining through, it almost looks like a clump (tiny moon?) embedded in that faint ring (at about the 8 o'clock position... lower left... from the very brightly overexposed moon just below the main rings.)

Also, I've noticed that these very long exposures tend to have broad extensions of light eminating out from the overexposed rings. Is that just some sort of lens flare, glare, or optical artifact.... or is it physical? (i.e., reflections of dust orbiting around Saturn far out, such as the dust in the plane of the solar system causes the zodiacal light.)

RedSky

+Quote Post
um3k
post May 26 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 372

I believe that is the G ring, RedSky.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:54 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.