IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
“spirit” Cover On Aviation Week: 14 November 2005, Rocky Martian High: Spirit Takes Summit
Tman
post Nov 15 2005, 11:44 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 186

Hey...

How did you guys dared the impossible biggrin.gif (... got you this opportunity)? Was it a request directly from AW&ST?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Nov 15 2005, 01:27 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 105

I don't know if AW&ST is available on newstands, I don't recall seeing it. Is it available as reprints (or single issues)? If not, I wonder if arrangements could be made for UMSF members to obtain a copy?

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Nov 15 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 212

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Nov 15 2005, 01:27 PM)
I don't know if AW&ST is available on newstands, I don't recall seeing it.  Is it available as reprints (or single issues)?  If not, I wonder if arrangements could be made for UMSF members to obtain a copy?

--Bill

It is hard to find on newsstands, but you may try contacting them via AvWeek website or call to perhaps buy one. If desired, do so quickly before they are out of print. Cover price is $6.

Also, almost every public library in the US has a subscription. Go check it out !!

Got mine in the mail and its stunning. You will love the magazine layout and reproduction. Totally different from the online version.

Also, be sure to read Craigs much longer Mars Rover article from 1 year ago in Nov 2004. Titled "The Real Martians". A must have with the "Lion King Panorama" from Cornell on the cover.

ken

+Quote Post
Harder
post Nov 15 2005, 02:31 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 434

Congrats for this outstanding achievement.
If I may repeat something from an earlier post (bad, bad habit, but just this once..) my ideal would be that the testbed-rover will find its final place one day in the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum with your many terrific pans in a multimedia display behind it.

Peter

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Nov 15 2005, 05:01 PM
Post #35

More on availability of Aviation Week

--Aviation Week & Space Technology is not sold on news stands. It is a subscriber only publication with subscribers in 180 countries. But anyone can order individual copies by calling this toll free number: 800-525-5003.

Just tell them you would like to order the Nov. 14, 2005 issue of Aviation Week.

+Quote Post
Nix
post Nov 15 2005, 05:21 PM
Post #36

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

QUOTE (mars loon @ Nov 15 2005, 04:03 PM)
Also,  be sure to read Craigs much longer Mars Rover article from 1 year ago in Nov 2004.  Titled  "The Real Martians".  A must have with the "Lion King Panorama" from Cornell on the cover.

ken

And the September 12 '05 issue tongue.gif Article 'King of the Hill' by forum member Michael A. Dornheim.

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Nov 15 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (NIX @ Nov 15 2005, 05:21 PM)
And the September 12 '05 issue tongue.gif   Article 'King of the Hill' by forum member Michael A. Dornheim.

Nico

Nico,

That is one fantastic issue, 2 outstanding stories on space exploration. A collectors edition for sure

your image in that issue, highlighting the crater rims, was incredibly beautiful and an inspiration

and Craig Covault's stunning cover package on the Space Shuttle Return to Flight

ken

+Quote Post
Nix
post Nov 15 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #38

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

I like the fact it's the same magazine. The same people, from the same forum.

Hopefully more teamwork will follow. There's plenty of data blink.gif

Go UMSF (I'm starting to sound like a cheerleader, I know)

Nico smile.gif

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Nov 16 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #39

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

I didn't know anything on this!!!
blink.gif
Only today visiting the yellow forum Ive read something about it...
It was almost like seing my elder brothers graduate and leaving home...
I'm emotional now...
I love you guys!
A LOT!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 16 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 150

Thanks, Ustrax! I want to assure you that we will firmly remain in the forum (we don't leave) and that the cover/article privilege should be spread among all Forum members: as already explained, it would have been impossible without continuous suggestions and encouragement from all you friends (and especially without the MMB tool!!!) wink.gif

PS: what is the "yellow forum"?

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Nov 16 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #41

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

> PS: what is the "yellow forum"?

Attached Image

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Nov 16 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 223

ok, here is the full version of the
colorized "Hillary IDD work" Hazcam image that has also been
published in the Aviation Week as an inside-the-article illustration for
Craig's "Everest / Hillary" Story

(click for full resolution ...)

+Quote Post
Tman
post Nov 16 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 186

Thanks Bernhard, its a (extra) beauty! I guess it took a lot of time and you tried hard with it.

Peter smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Nov 17 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 353

Guys,

I just recieved Aviation Week & Space technology with Spirit on the front cover and a 6 page story of Spirit on the summit of Husband Hill with great images.

Congratulations to dilo, djellison, nirgal and mars loon for their cooperation and great images.

At last the recognition for "amateurs" outside the Rover team.

But let us not forget the Rover team who made this possible by publishing all the images made on Mars.

And the next story in AW&ST, "Opportunity navigating around Erebus". smile.gif

jvandriel

+Quote Post
Gonzz
post Nov 17 2005, 01:37 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 445

What I love about these images is that little bit of artistic liberty that allows them to transcend reality while remaining true to it.

It's a bit like the National Geographic magazine photographer that while photographing nature will employ all kinds of lens filters and special films to capture a truly unique image. Is it completely true to reality, well, no, but is it a lie, again no, just enhanced reality, that little bit extra contrast and colour that elicits from us a powerful and resonant emotional response.

And while NASA, as a science agency, has the responsibility to provide us with the most accurate images they are able to based on the available data, you guys here are not under so heavy restraints, and while you too seek to see mars as it is, you present it to us not in dull matt paper but in super glossy superior grade magazine paper stock.

You're our very own National Geographic photographers on Mars, using your photographic mastery to enchant us with beautiful views from another world.

And while I whole heartedly thank NASA for allowing my daily Mars fix, I whole heartedly thank the forum members for making it (even more) amazing.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:42 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.