Reply to this topicStart new topic
ASTER Global Digital Elevation Map
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 14 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #1

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

I'm a bit surprised this global DEM of the Earth released roughly 2 weeks ago hasn't been discussed here yet. The horizontal resolution is 30 m and the vertical accuracy 20 m, both at 95% confidence.

The procedure for downloading data is described at http://asterweb.jpl.nasa.gov/gdem-wist.asp

I downloaded a single 1x1° tile (there are more than 20,000 1x1° tiles) - it is provided as a 3601x3601 pixel GeoTIFF file. This thing looks very promising. A quick-and-dirty test rendering:

Attached Image

This rendering has a 35° field of view, the altitude is 22 km and the mountains typically are about 700-1200 m high. I don't have a suitable texture map to drape over this particular part of the DEM but I didn't want it in this case anyway as I made this rendering to check the DEM's quality. This is a far better (in terms of resolution) rendering than I have have ever before been able to make from publicly available DEM data, at least for this part of our planet.

Now all I need to do is find suitable satellite images to use as a texture map and to download some additional DEM tiles...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:51 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.