pandaneko
post Feb 8 2011, 09:10 AM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 5323

Page 20:

4: Supplementary information

Significance of solar power sailing:

This is expected to lead to flexible operation of probes.

It is also expected to provide enough electrical power in the vicinity of Jupitor and beyond.

P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Feb 8 2011, 09:20 AM
Post #122

Page 21:

There are graphs and other structures with this page, but they are self-explanetary. So, my translation is only about IKAROS specs, as follows.

Main body size: 1.6 m in diam. and height 0.8 m

Membrane size:s 20m by 20 m, and membrane thickess of 7.5μm

Mass: 308kg, of this 16kg is the membrane mass

Orbit: direct flight to Venus

Orbit determination: range fidings and Doppler measurements

Attitude control: by spin

Propulsion: vapour and liquid equilibrium thruster and gas jet thrusters

Mission duration: longer than 6 months

Comms: 2 LGAs and 1 MGA

P

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Feb 9 2011, 09:03 AM
Post #123

I will skip pages 22 and 23 as they are too obvious.

Page 24: Supplementary info on GAP

1. Small table header from left to right:

GRB name, trigger time, distance, alpha, beta, angle of entering, simultaneous observation

2. With the 3 graphs here vertical axis is intensity, horizonrtal time in seconds

Main text (jist of it) as follows:

GAP is a ganma ray burst polariser detector. It also achives simultaneous Compton scattering counting.

Power was switched one month after launch. Data is stored in memory and sent back to earth. No mulfunction to date. GAP detects polarisation of megnetic field.

P

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Feb 9 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #124

Page 25:

4: Supplementary info on GAP

(Here, I am only translating gists of what this page says, P)

Primary objective of GAP is to measure polarisation of ganma ray bursts and try to understand the mechanism. However, it is only 4 months in operation and we have not yet meaure enough of these bursts.

Following report (what follows?, P) is based on the collaborative work with all those GRB satellites around the world with a view to determining the directions of these bursts.

Earlier page's list has data from Russian Konus satellie (K), US Fermi satellite (F), and US-Italy Swift satellite (S). For example, the burst, GRB 100826A (detected on 26 August 2010) was determined to be within the region surrounded by the blue frame with the graph here. Due to polarisation measurements IKAROS is providing additional accuracy.

P

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Feb 9 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #125

Page 26:

4: Supplementary info on VLBI (multi tone transmitter)

Result of of experiments:

Succeeded in obtaining about 20 times more accuracy of orbit determination compared with earlier JAXA measurements (Hayabusa and AKATSUKI), with the thermal noise level of 50 pico seconds.

Objectives of the experiments:

This is a mission devoted to try out DDOR(Delta differential one-way range) techniques. Basically, very far radio emitting stars are used and the very long baseline interferrometry and triangulation is involved. Participants are as follows:

University of Tasmania: Hobart26m
DSN: DSS34 34m,DSS45 34m, DSS43 70m
ESA: Cebreros 35m New Norcia 35m
ATNF: Mopra 22m, ATCA 22m
Shanghai Observatory: Urmuchi 25m, Shanghai 25m, Konmei 40m
Japan, 32m, 34m, 34m and 64 m)

NASA JPL is quite active in this technology, and for instance, NASA DSN were deeply involved, when required, with DDOR determination of Akatsuki, almost everyday. Collaboration has been done before, but we lacked this essential element, multi tone transmitter, and this time we developped a dedicated transmitter and used it with 8 organisations' 15 antennas with 24 pases.

Comparison (orbit information) between Akatsuki and IKAROS data is as follows:

Akatsuki:

precision : (thermal noise) 700 pico seconds
accuracy : 1 to 2 nano seconds

IKAROS:

precision: (thermal noise) 50 pico seconds
accuracy: 50 to 150 pico seconds

This comparison was made around August 2010

P

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Feb 10 2011, 10:08 AM
Post #126

What follows from page 27 on, I find it very difficult to translate (technical terms, mainly), but I will give it a try in the belief that even if my translation is not good some people with background knowledge may find them useful.

Page 27:

4: Supplementary info on VLBI multitone transmitter

We developped a DDOR digital base band converter (64 Msps/16 ch/4 bit, 4096 Gbps). 2 graphs here, one on left is the result obtained by this digital wideband system, and one on right is the data recorded by conventional analogue/narrowband system.

With conventional recording system you need to combine a couple of 8 MHz bandwidth analogue signals. The right graph indicates that the gain and the phase within the band are not flat enough.

With this new system it becomes possible to use weak qasor signals as calibrators and that will be useful with future wideband DDOR systems using Ka band.

Page 28:

4: Supplementary info on VLBI multitone transmitter

There is one graph on this page, which came from the observation made on 29 July 2010, using Usuda-Canbera baseline for VLBI observation.

Vertical axis is the delay residual (whatever it means, P) in nano seconds. Horizontal axis is the time ellapse from the start of observation in seconds.

Upperleft character string says "Lizzard constellation's star BL's delay residual"

Character string down right says "delay residual of quasor J1425-2513"

Character string to the left os it in blue says "delta DOR observed quantity"

The bottommost character string says "IKAROS delay residual"

There are 2 texts here on this page, the first one being explanation of the chart itself, and the second one is on future operations from now on. And, I am now going to paste those text down here for further translation. If it does not go well, then I will send this up anyway and try to upload another post.

On the graph, 6 groups of dots (I find only 5, P) relate to IKAROS' VLBI delay residual and those 3 upper left and another 3 upper right exists in the vicinity of IKAROS on the "star sphere surface" (I do not know the word for this, P)

These two are the delay residuals of the astronomical bodies whose positions are accurately known. IKAROS' plot is based on range/Doppler measurements and if its orbit determination is correct IKAROS' delay residual should be on the same line as these of two astronomical bodies'.

However, these are not in line, clearly suggesting a bias coming from orbit determination error not accurately estimated by range/Doppler measuments.

ΔDOR observation quantity: (-7.83 nsą50ps)

With these two astronomical bodies we see that , despite weak signals from quasor producing a lot of noise, delay residuals are on the same line, suggesting that bias due to the presence of atmosphere etc has been successfully removed.

Operations from now on:

Compared with bus system antennas VLBI transmitter has a narrower bandwidth and future observation oppotunities are limited and measurment accuracy is not large. However, we will continue to operate the system because we expect to be using this system with our future missions a lot regularly and we need to improve on the system such as pipelining and semi-automatic operation.

Observation so far has given us a lot of quality data for orbit determination and we should be able to come up with detrmination accuracy of a few centimeters, compared with a few meters accuracy required for deep space orbit determination.

We will also be making use of near Earth satellites for further improvements on accurate orbit determination.

P

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Feb 10 2011, 12:59 PM
Post #127

Page 29:

4: Supplementary info on ALADDIN

ALADDIN = Arrayed Large Area Dust Detectors in INterplanetary space

Mission objectives:

Cosmic dusts detector engineering tests, to be used for future Jupiter exploration and other outer planets, also to be used in near Earth orbits.

Device composition and arrangement:

1. 0.3% of the sail membrane (0.54 square meters)
2. Piezo-electric thin film elements of 2 different thicknesses at 9/1000mm and 20/1000mm in 4 channel arrangement at the sensing part (ALDN-S at 40g) and detection part (ALDN-E at 210g)

P

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Feb 10 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #128

Page 30:

4: Supplementary info on ALLADIN

Operational results:

1. Operation started on 21 June 2010.

All 8 channels detected cosmic dusts, more than 100 of them within the duration of acumulative 25 days startong on 30 June.

2. Study of distance dependency of cosmic dusts in the solar system

We are getting more accurate data by cumulative 24 hours of observation.

(End of IKAROS report, 4-2)

P

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Feb 13 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 1004

domo arigato gozaimasu, Pandankeo, I have really enjoyed your translation!

QUOTE (pandaneko @ Feb 10 2011, 11:08 AM) *
Upperleft character string says "Lizzard constellation's star BL's delay residual

I think they are referring to the quasar "BL Lacertae"

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Feb 14 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #130

Thanks, Paolo

I am taking a little time off at the moment, but I will come back with the newsletter translations soon.

Since it contains different topics and since I do not wish to be a new topic starter I am thinking how best I might do this. However, I can assure you that these newsletters do make some interesting light readings.

While at work I always enjoyed these, and I would have thought they no longer existed...

P

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Feb 14 2011, 06:02 PM
Post #131

just one question: what are they talking about when speaking of "1970", "1990" etc in page 30?

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Feb 16 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #132

QUOTE (Paolo @ Feb 15 2011, 03:02 AM) *
just one question: what are they talking about when speaking of "1970", "1990" etc in page 30?

Thanks and apologies for not translating fully. You can actually ask for further translations any time you wish.

The top graph is cosmic dusts distribution in space nearer to the Sun than the Earth.

Vertical axis is the flux and the horizontal is heliocentric distance in AU.

Character string at the top left of this graph is IKAROS (2010), down below it in red is Helios 1 (1970's) and just to the right of it is the counting by Galileo (1990's).

Two characters at the bottom left is : Venus orbit, right : Earth orbit

There are two small graphs at the bottom and one on left is IKAROS orbit, and the one on the right is IKAROS orbit with respect to the Sun-Earth fixed frame of reference.

Here below, I will paste the main text and hope it will succeed.

Page 30: Supplementary information on ALDN

Operational results:

(1) Large area dust counter started operation on 21 June 2010. Dusts larger than a few micron size were recorded on all of the 8 channells. A little more than 100 dusts were counted during 25 days starting on 30 June and this number is larger than the count recorded by a German counter (MDC) on board NOZOMI during 45 months from August 1998.

(2) Study of dusts distribution dependence on heliocentric distance

Earlier countings during 1970's and 1990's were somewhat uncertain in accuracy in time resolution. IKAROS data seems to show a continuous rise in the flux as we approach Venus. We may get more information as we continute to operate IKAROS.

P

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Feb 21 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #133

QUOTE (pandaneko @ Feb 14 2011, 09:45 PM) *
Thanks, Paolo

I am taking a little time off at the moment, but I will come back with the newsletter translations soon.

Since it contains different topics and since I do not wish to be a new topic starter I am thinking how best I might do this. However, I can assure you that these newsletters do make some interesting light readings.

While at work I always enjoyed these, and I would have thought they no longer existed...

P

Paolo

I am afraid I am giving up the idea of translating this newsletter, simply because I found that I cannot copy texts. I have been trying for the last few days all of my tricks for copying, but to no avail.

If you or any other Forum collegues find something to be translated with any other items (as long as it is not too much) I will be willing to do so. I am a very fast translater (actually, very, very fast...) as long as I can copy and paste and overwrite.

Apologies once again and I will sit back for the moment and enjoy posts. My next main interest is ATRO-G, as it will not go far away from earth.

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jun 1 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #134

a good resume of the IKAROS missions, its technologies and its results so far (in English)
http://www.isas.jaxa.jp/e/forefront/2011/tsuda/index.shtml

+Quote Post
stewjack
post Jun 2 2011, 12:03 AM
Post #135

Member No.: 379

QUOTE (Paolo @ Jun 1 2011, 02:00 PM) *
a good resume of the IKAROS missions,

IKAROS had kinda fallen out of my brain! That article put it back in.

Thanks Paolo smile.gif

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:34 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.