Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Areo - 3D Model Generator for HiRISE Data
Matt Brealey
post Mar 8 2017, 05:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8038

Hi Everyone!

Over the last few weeks I’ve been writing a Mac app called Areo that generates 3D models from HiRISE data. I’ve just released the second beta that includes the ability to create fully 3D-printable models. I’m not entirely sure this is the right place to post it, but I thought it might be interesting to a few people here smile.gif

If you do get a chance to try it, I’d love to hear your thoughts/suggestions : https://www.thestateofspace.com/areo

Thanks!

Matt

ADMIN: Moved to Image Processing Techniques.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Matt Brealey
post Jun 20 2017, 12:55 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 8038

RoverDriver :
1) Yep it's only the title in the list that needs updating. It's just a case of grabbing the data from the HiRISE site and updating the AreoBrowser page. Should be live in a day or so.

2) Agreed that this would be awesome, however the problem I'm currently facing is that as each DTM has a varying number of orthophotos available, some of which are more complete than others, it can be challenging to find the correct one to compress and host on my server for display in AreoBrowser. So far I've yet to find any metadata in the associated PDS labels that could make this search simpler, but I might be missing something obvious. I am open to suggestions! smile.gif

3) High-quality meshes are definitely coming before AB leaves Beta! I have the models created, it's just a case of hooking them into the system in a way that won't cause my S3 costs to skyrocket!

hendric : Thanks so much, I'm really glad you like it! I've actually been playing with a few VR options this week, so you never know... smile.gif And a Minecraft generator is actually a REALLY good idea - I'll take a look!

elakdawalla Thanks for the suggestions! I've actually just implemented the ability to 'Save Image to Disk' - it appears as a 3rd button on the toolbar in the 3D view. And there actually is a link back to the associated HiRISE page on the right side of each item in the DTM list (it's a menu that appears as 3 dots). It's admittedly a little too hidden right now though - I'll fix that and get it updated! As for stereo, I think I've figured out how to get it working this morning! I just need to find the time to get it coded and in smile.gif

Cheers!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.