Reply to this topicStart new topic
A New Horizons Clone To 2003 Ub313?
Ames
post Jan 16 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 423

QUOTE (helvick @ Jan 9 2006, 11:18 PM)
We're going to need an orbiting deep space receiver to handle all this inbound data fairly soon. The Earth\Moon L4\L5 points seem like a good spot. Are there any plans?

Until we perfect the technology to create large inflatable structures in space, it's going to be MUCH cheaper to build big DSN receivers here on earth.

Nick
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ToSeek
post Jan 16 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 74

QUOTE (Ames @ Jan 16 2006, 10:30 AM)
Until we perfect the technology to create large inflatable structures in space, it's going to be MUCH cheaper to build big DSN receivers here on earth.
Nick

The DSN was upgraded in 2003 to get ready for the MER/Cassini data rush of 2004. I don't think New Horizons is going to be an issue, though I wonder about the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, particularly if the MERs are still going come MRO's start of science operations in November. (But wouldn't it be nice to have that problem!)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 16 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #33

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Remember - MER rides most of it's DSN time on the back of Odyssey smile.gif Only a brief uplink every day, plus a beep to confirm a sequence hand over

Of course, DSN upgrades are beginning to allow for multiple spacecraft to use a single dish. i.e. Odyssey, MGS, and MER beep off one dish pointed Marsward.

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Jan 16 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #34

Guests

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 16 2006, 08:29 PM)
Of course, DSN upgrades are beginning to allow for multiple spacecraft to use a single dish. i.e. Odyssey, MGS, and MER beep off one dish pointed Marsward.
I don't think this is a new capability (i.e., tied to any new upgrades). If I 'm not mistaken, for some time the DSN has had a "multiple spacecraft per aperture" mode, which permits the same antenna to track multiple spacecraft, provided they fall within a particular antenna's beam pattern.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 16 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #35

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Ahh right - I just seem to remember them mentioning it quite a bit back with MER landings - they were probably hyping up the issue for something to talk about during the quiet times smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.