Tesheiner
post Sep 28 2008, 06:50 AM
Post #16

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Sep 28 2008, 02:40 AM) *
Almost 153 meters straight south.

Oh boy! blink.gif
Should I change the thread's name to "Running around Victoria before the Long Trek"? smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 28 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #17

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Sep 28 2008, 01:40 AM) *
One of the tricks we will probably use during this adventure.

Ahhh ( going onto guess mode )

Driving limited perhaps by time rather than power - so if you forgo the imaging at the end of the drive before stopping for the PM UHF pass, you can get more drive time into the schedule.

Do this when on restricted sols and you can pre-estimate Sol N+2's drive from engineering and HiRISE - and give it a go/no go when you get the post drive imaging on Sol N+1

Just guessing smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 28 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #18

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

Wow, you are so good! Your first guess is 100% correct. The second is currently incorrect. Before we move the rover there is minimum set o data we need to receive before we are allowed to drive again. Front and Rear Hazcams is one of these products. Therefore this trick can only be currently applied on weekends.

We are trying to relax the risk posture, but it will take time to understand what we can relax and still maintain the vehicle safe. This drive had one component that was relaxed which I think it will be accepted. I'm sure we will need to come up with many tricks to get to Endeavour before the juice runs out.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Sep 28 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #19

Group: Members
Member No.: 721

Paolo, given the relative safety of the current driving surface, have you considered going for a new single drive record, which I believe is currently 220 meters?

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Sep 28 2008, 04:18 PM
Post #20

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ Sep 28 2008, 02:27 PM) *
Therefore this trick can only be currently applied on weekends.

That was my guess. smile.gif

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 28 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #21

QUOTE (BrianL @ Sep 28 2008, 08:17 AM) *
Paolo, given the relative safety of the current driving surface, have you considered going for a new single drive record, which I believe is currently 220 meters?

I'm sure all rover drivers are thinking about it smile.gif but (I hope) we are disciplined enough to think about the goal which is not beating the record but to get to Endeavour.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bobby_*
post Sep 28 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #22

Guests

I agree with you Tescheiner. I think it would be fun going around Victoria but we do need to start
our journey South.

What areas along the West side or Southern part of Victoria might be good places to go to and
what area south of Victoria should we stop at to explore??? First targets?

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 28 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Bobby @ Sep 28 2008, 02:32 PM) *
I agree with you Tescheiner. I think it would be fun going around Victoria but we do need to start
our journey South.

What areas along the West side or Southern part of Victoria might be good places to go to and
what area south of Victoria should we stop at to explore??? First targets?

We have received indicaions for a couple of spots in VC rim in the west and SW. The first stopover is about 150-200m SE of where the rover currently is. The next stopover is about 300m SE of the first stop. After these two locations, I have no indications whether there will be additional stops or is we are fre to leave VC.

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Bobby_*
post Sep 28 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #24

Guests

Thanks Paolo for the information.

Since I'm not into drawing overhead shots of Victoria.

I hope one of our computer drawing guru's in here might determine
which area of Victoria is the 1rst target Paola said is 150 to 200 meters SE
of our current location and the 2nd target which is 300 meters SE of where
we are?

cool.gif

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 28 2008, 11:50 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 615

This is like a treasure hunt or playing "Where's Opportunity?" smile.gif ... head south 153m, then southeast for 150-200m and find a target southeast 300m of your first position.
OK, so without taking a massive leap across an unnamed 'bay', I guess that with a few turns we'd end up somewhere here (?)
Any location along this part of VC will produce great views (oh, and of course 'great science').
I'd especially like a view across that large slumped area. Plus the view back along VC to Duck Bay will be spectacular!
Anywhere really....Go Oppy!

Attached Image

Astro0

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Sep 29 2008, 12:23 AM
Post #26

Group: Members
Member No.: 721

Astro0, I took Paolo's comments to mean:

Go 150-200 m and stop.
Go 300 m beyond that and stop.

Paolo?

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 29 2008, 02:10 AM
Post #27

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 28 2008, 03:50 PM) *
This is like a treasure hunt or playing "Where's Opportunity?" smile.gif ... head south 153m, then southeast for 150-200m and find a target southeast 300m of your first position.
OK, so without taking a massive leap across an unnamed 'bay', I guess that with a few turns we'd end up somewhere here (?)
Any location along this part of VC will produce great views (oh, and of course 'great science').
I'd especially like a view across that large slumped area. Plus the view back along VC to Duck Bay will be spectacular!
Anywhere really....Go Oppy!

Attached Image

Astro0

I apologize if I gave the wrong distances, I was roughly quoting from memory. On the image above, the end of your tracks are exactly at the second (and last) imaging location at VC. The first location is at the edge of the rim just above the 150 marker.

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Sep 29 2008, 02:23 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 615

Thanks Paolo.
I thought my guess might be right. smile.gif
My "inner explorer" told me that this particular cape would be a good science-stop and would be the last(?) stop on Oppy's VC journey.
Bring on the trek to Endeavour....we're with you ALL the way.

Astro0

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 29 2008, 02:24 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Sep 28 2008, 05:42 PM) *
Let's say it's 200m SE and then another 300m SE, then anywhere along these two lines and yellow arcs could be the destinations.

I'd be really surprised if they would do a 150 meter drive that close to the edge of the crater. Paolo? What are the rules?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Sep 29 2008, 02:42 AM
Post #30

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Sep 28 2008, 06:24 PM) *
I'd be really surprised if they would do a 150 meter drive that close to the edge of the crater. Paolo? What are the rules?

There are no rules! smile.gif No cops, no "traffic patrolled by aircraft", wait a minute! We are patrolled from above! I better slow down! ;-)

Seriously, the tracks Astro0 posted are way too close to the rim. When we approach a target on a crater we align to the target by staying at a safe distance (a few 10s of meters) then dedicate one or two drives to the approach depending on how critical the position is and how close to the rim we need to be. This might mean a longer route, but quicker. And as everyone who has walked the hills of San Francisco has found, the straight line might not be the easiest, quickest, requires less energy or even possible.

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.