9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Grand Finale, Proximal orbits
jasedm
post Sep 11 2017, 04:37 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 655

Cassini receives its final gravitational tug/nudge from Titan in a couple of hours time with its now irreversible consequence.

What an incredible piece of engineering. Almost flawless performance for twenty years.

The outer solar system is going to seem very distant again.

sad.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MatthewK
post Sep 12 2017, 03:13 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 8006

I feel a bit self-conscious posting this because I lack the processing capabilities on such rich display across this forum.
Anyway, I want to say thanks to all the dedicated image tweakers for their wonderful work, which adds so much to the mission.
And I wanted to float an idea - one the last raw image has been received, I assume there will be just shy of 400 000 of them.
I've seen some evocative movies made by using the raws as frames, which I think is really compelling because the greyscale grittiness and radiation flecks make it look like a mysterious relic. (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGCWA6o8LE4) But one thing which frustrates me is the strict sequential presentation so that wide angle and narrow angle images are intercut, sometimes in alternating frames, making a flashing mess, and the brightness levels jolting up and down. I know they are raw images - the latter aspect bothers me less.
What I'd like to propose is if it's possible to compile all of the RAWs into a movie, that the wide angle and narrow angle camera images (presumably separable by metadata) be presented side by side in a 2:1 overall aspect ratio. And whichever side is not being updated would just stay on the most recent image from that camera. That and a basic black point correction (lowest pixel value goes to 0, or 5, or something like that) might reduce the flashing while retaining the magic.
If anyone can point me at software I could use to do it myself, I'd be very glad to try!
Anyway - just an idea. If someone wants to use or adapt it, please do.

+Quote Post
bobik
post Sep 13 2017, 07:49 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 6732

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Aug 22 2017, 03:58 PM) *
But here's something to think about - a long shot, but skilled video astronomers and/or spectroscopists might give it a go,
and the bigger aperture the better

https://arxiv.org/abs/1708.05036

Any new info? Will there be a ground-based observation campaign with large (>1m) telescopes involved?

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 13 2017, 03:59 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (jasedm @ Sep 11 2017, 09:37 AM) *
The outer solar system is going to seem very distant again.

I have an outsized personal affection for Pioneer 11's flyby of Saturn. The planets from Mercury to Jupiter had all been visited at least once by 1974, but it took 4.5 more years for Saturn to get its first visit, and the images perhaps didn't do a lot for science, but it seemed like a huge jump in the reach of human exploration, with distances now measured in billions, more than doubling the last big jump. It lasted only a short time, but the pictures made magazine covers. It also hammered home that the U.S. had long since left the Soviets in the dust for this sort of thing. The strange, haunting images with the rings bizarrely different from any telescope photos planted the flag of humanity at a new, distant outpost. I don't think Voyager 2's flybys of Uranus and Neptune captured the public in the same way, perhaps because those names have never been so prominent in the public imagination; New Horizon's Pluto flyby was perhaps similar in cultural impact, making a distant world temporarily a star in the Hollywood sense. And then Pioneer 11 flew on, giving us the image of a crescent Saturn as it took the long road out of town to infinity.

Cassini, though, really has been an outpost since 2004, one of the most flawless performers in the history of robotic space exploration. The laypublic has appreciated this; Huygens is the subject of a Washington Post article even today. Perhaps the best gauge of Cassini's impact will be the vacancy it leaves. In a world where technological progress is rapid, Cassini like a few exploration programs before it is a hard act to top. It's a dare to the future to try to surpass it. It may, like Apollo, not be replaced anytime soon by anything comparable.

+Quote Post
propguy
post Sep 13 2017, 07:59 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 6507

Friday AM will be a very sad day for me. I started my work on interplanetary missions back in 1993 working Cassini propulsion at good old Martin Marietta (now LM). Back then a 7 year cruise to JOI seemed like forever. Now it seems like a distant memory. Having had the fortune to work 13 interplanetary mission over the years (3 currently; Juno ops, InSight ATLO, and Lucy design) I still have lots of pride and fond memories of Cassini. More than 1/2 of what I know about propulsion design and analysis I learned on Cassini (we had budget to actually look into the why of things). Doing a very long orbit insertion burn a billion miles from home was quite a challenge, but it went flawlessly. Will hopefully get together with some of the old (now mostly retired) prop team members Thursday or Friday night to raise a glass or two and hopefully meet with the old JPL prop folks next week in LA. Godspeed Cassini!

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Sep 14 2017, 02:15 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 424

Has anyone found an archive of today's Cassini press conference?

The Cassini twitter account mentions a replay, https://twitter.com/CassiniSaturn/status/908106974616633344, but that seems to have been a once only replay, not an archive. Myy old standby, space-multimedia.nl.eu.org, seems to be gone (years ago, in fact).

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Sep 14 2017, 02:41 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 5221

QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Sep 13 2017, 07:15 PM) *
Has anyone found an archive of today's Cassini press conference?

The Cassini twitter account mentions a replay, https://twitter.com/CassiniSaturn/status/908106974616633344, but that seems to have been a once only replay, not an archive. Myy old standby, space-multimedia.nl.eu.org, seems to be gone (years ago, in fact).

Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs-dscW95PE

Almost all the press conferences are archived on Youtube, but they don't have things older than a certain date (I wish I could watch the orbit insertion coverage, or the Huygens landing, again!)

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Sep 14 2017, 03:13 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 424

Thanks very much.

May I ask how you found it? I spent more time than I care to admit this evening trying a variety of google searches with Cassini, press conference, and youtube among the search terms, and did not turn up this video. In fact just now I googled the title of the video you linked to, "NASA Previews Saturn Mission End (news briefing)," and the video did not show up. The searches returned videos of press conferences from previous months, many articles about the end of mission, articles _about_ today's press conference, and now inactive sites that carried the press conference live, but not the video in your link. mad.gif

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Sep 13 2017, 10:41 PM) *
Almost all the press conferences are archived on Youtube, but they don't have things older than a certain date (I wish I could watch the orbit insertion coverage, or the Huygens landing, again!)

So do I. Maybe some private archives exist whose owners could be coaxed into sharing. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Superstring
post Sep 14 2017, 03:14 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 1129

In my view, Cassini is a defining mission for the post-Voyager generation (those of us who grew up after that epic tour). I had to write an ode to this spacecraft:

http://mannmetrics.com/an-ode-to-cassini/

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Sep 14 2017, 01:59 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 5221

QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Sep 13 2017, 08:13 PM) *
Thanks very much.
May I ask how you found it?

I am subscribed to both the NASA and JPL Youtube pages, so anything new will pop up in my feed.

By the way, thanks for the link, superstring, you took the words right out of my mouth (plus I think we're nearly the same age!)

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 14 2017, 05:48 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 682

Speaking of age etc... Doug started UNMSF a few days after Spirit & Oppy landed on Mars but a mere 4 months before Cassini arrived at Saturn. I guess she performed the first important event (arrival/landing/flyby/launch) (can I say Peanuts event?) of an interplanetary spacecraft we enjoyed together. So long old friend.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 14 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #72

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Cassini is why I took the old mer.rlproject.com URL and turned it into UMSF. And we all know how the story goes from there smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 14 2017, 07:28 PM
Post #73

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I was born before Sputnik, and though I was not really paying attention until 1968, I have pretty much seen it all. For me, Voyager takes the planetary (i.e. non-lunar) prize... there will never be another Voyager until we get a probe to another solar system. But Cassini must be a close second. The sheer variety of things it has seen, mostly for the first time, is amazing. Not that I don't appreciate all the other missions!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Sep 14 2017, 07:32 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 530

A Neptune orbiter would be pretty sweet in the same way. Arrival could be as soon as 2042. That is only 25 years from now.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Sep 14 2017, 08:25 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 655

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 14 2017, 08:28 PM) *
I was born before Sputnik, and though I was not really paying attention until 1968, I have pretty much seen it all. For me, Voyager takes the planetary (i.e. non-lunar) prize... there will never be another Voyager until we get a probe to another solar system. But Cassini must be a close second. The sheer variety of things it has seen, mostly for the first time, is amazing. Not that I don't appreciate all the other missions!

Phil

I was born in 1967, and started to notice in 1980 with the Voyager 1 Saturn flyby and the airing of Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos' that year.
I agree Phil that Voyager takes the laurels, with Cassini/Huygens a close second. I couldn't have dreamed of a more comprehensive reconnaissance of the Saturn system when the mission launched.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 04:13 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.