IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Clear picture of Mars Climate Orbiter's science deck?
arthur krull
post Dec 9 2013, 06:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 820

All,

I'm building a model of the (late) Mars Climate Orbiter. I have been unable to find a good clear picture of the science deck. Anybody know of any?

My specific questions are these:
What does the flight ready (mounted, insulated, etc.) Mars Color Imager look like? (I have been to the Malin site. There is some good info, but no pictures)
What color was the insulation on the battery? Black? Gold?

Thanks much for any guidance.

Art
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 9 2013, 06:52 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (arthur krull @ Dec 9 2013, 11:13 AM) *
What does the flight ready (mounted, insulated, etc.) Mars Color Imager look like? (I have been to the Malin site. There is some good info, but no pictures)
What color was the insulation on the battery? Black? Gold?

MARCI had no blankets of any kind, so it looked exactly like the picture at http://www.msss.com/all_projects/mars-clim...biter-marci.php -- most of the external surfaces were clear-anodized aluminum, and the center housing sections were painted with white thermal control paint.

The pictures at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter are the best I know of that could be publicly released but they don't show the blanket configuration very well. IIRC correctly, most of the nadir deck was blanketed with black Kapton, but the battery louvers were covered with silver FEP (shiny tape.)

I think there was a photo on the cover of AW&ST but I don't have a copy readily available.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
arthur krull
post Jan 17 2014, 07:51 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 820

Thanks for information!

I have one more question. Is there any exposed cabling from the batteries of these spacecraft?

Thanks again.

Art

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 17 2014, 08:31 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (arthur krull @ Jan 17 2014, 12:51 PM) *
I have one more question. Is there any exposed cabling from the batteries of these spacecraft?

Probably, but I don't remember the details. Most of it was probably under the blankets.

The official NASA model of MCO, which we have one of, has essentially no details on the nadir deck.

My last look at MCO was at Pad 17A, lying on my stomach looking through a little hatch in the side of the fairing with a gale of air conditioning blowing in my face. But it was dark in there, and it's been a long time.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:40 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.