Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GS_Brazil
post Jan 10 2019, 03:03 PM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 7733

Full inline quote with large image removed- Admin

Great animation! These 9 frames cover how many hours?

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 10 2019, 03:55 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 7837

start / end

PJ17_32: 17:24 UT

PJ17_40: 18:07 UT

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 10 2019, 05:53 PM
Post #64

PJ17_GRS animation

9 frames / 32-40

Made from Gerald's reprojected stack.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 11 2019, 08:55 AM
Post #65

Detail from PJ17_34-38

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 12 2019, 04:31 AM
Post #66

PJ17_35 after Gerald...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jan 14 2019, 11:37 PM
Post #67

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Two images showing details from PJ17_21. Compared to the original data this is enlarged by a factor of 3:

Attached Image
Attached Image

These are approximately true color/contrast images but the brightness of the haze and blue sky at the limb has been increased slightly relative to the brightest parts of the image (the contrast in the brightest areas is also slightly reduced as a result of this). The processing reveals that the amount of limb haze is variable.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jan 14 2019, 11:42 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 321

The GRS animation made me shiver. Wow. I'll be watching this again and again.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jan 19 2019, 11:50 PM
Post #69

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

The GRS animation is awesome, especially when one considers the oblique viewing angle of the original images.

But here are approximately true color/contrast and enhanced versions of image PJ17_27 ("PJ17 Equatorial Zone south"):

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

Juno's orbit is evolving and it's obvious from the PJ17 images that the viewing geometry is now significantly less favorable for imaging around the time of closest approach than it was earlier in the mission. The majority of the original PJ17_27 image data contains black space. If I understand correctly what's happening, this is going to get even less favorable but eventually things start getting better again (I suspect that may happen within a year but I haven't checked the SPICE reference trajectory yet).

+Quote Post
Kevin Gill
post Jan 20 2019, 03:20 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 7220

Composite of JNCE_2018355_17C00038_V01 & JNCE_2018355_17C00040_V01, from the perspective/location of the former.

Been getting much better results since dropping my own renderer and using Blender.

Jupiter - Perijove 17

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 21 2019, 02:11 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 6780

Here is an intermediate breadcrumb of one of the topics I'm currently working on, that's analysing the dynamics of Jovian weather systems on the basis of JunoCam image pairs:
Attached Image

This is an excerpt of an analysis of pixel displacement fields, here applied to PJ17 Oval BA.
The upper left image is describing a steady vector potential, based on the two maps in the bottom row. This can be interpreted as the solenoid (divergence-free) component of a steady 2D-flow. The upper right is the amount of the first derivative of the vector potential, hence describes kind of a velocity. The other tiles try to visualize the vector potential and the derived velocity field.
Some disclaimers: I'm going to translate this into physically meaningful units. The velocity maps will look a little different after considering map distortions and proper scaling. So, be careful, when trying to interprete these intermediate products. The results are also subject to various systematic and statistical effects, which need to be specified and quantified for any scientifically meaningful interpretation. Nothing of this is substantially peer-reviewed. All errors are mine.
The answer to the frequently asked question of which software I'm using: A C++ compiler. Almost everything is proprietary and implemented from scratch on the basis of C-standard libraries like stdio.h or math.h. Runtime for the small example above was on the order of 100 CPU core hours. (I know, that GPUs exist. But I'm ready to write shader code only for simple algorithms.) For access to SPICE kernels, I'm saving s/c trajectory position data to text files using the NAIF/SPICE utility spy.exe.

+Quote Post
Xerxes
post Jan 21 2019, 04:01 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 4097

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jan 21 2019, 09:11 AM) *
(I know, that GPUs exist. But I'm ready to write shader code only for simple algorithms.)

Shader code? I'm afraid your conception of GPU programming is about 15 years out of date! CUDA is an ideal match for this kind of work, and even something simple like OpenMP might do well. I highly recommend that you check it out.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 21 2019, 05:48 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 6780

Thanks! I'll consider CUDA or something similar for some portions of the upcoming tasks. GPU code might make sense in some cases, multithreading doesn't. I can easily load the CPUs of a given number of computers with 100% by just starting an arbitrary number of parallel processes, if I like. The above analysis is based on 300 runs distributed over the CPU cores available for the job.

+Quote Post
Kevin Gill
post Jan 22 2019, 05:39 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 7220

Another composite of Perijove 17 images, this time using JNCE_2018355_17C00035_V01 & JNCE_2018355_17C00039_V01. Using the camera perspective of the former.

Lots of blending and color/contrast enhancement.

Jupiter - Perijove 17

+Quote Post
tanjent
post Jan 22 2019, 11:00 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 628

Is the great red spot really rotating noticeably in just the brief time interval of a fraction of a Perijove flyover?
I think it must be an artifact of the changing viewing angle, but Sean's GIF animation surely does give the appearance of turning a couple of degrees.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:46 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.